How to clean a Spizzichino Ride with oxidation?

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to buy some Spizzichino cymbals back in 2005-2006 at the Chicago Drum Show and they've never left my set. I'm noticing that I'm getting some oxidation on a few of them and it's freaking me out a bit. Everything still sounds good but I'm worried this is going to spread or get worse.

Is there a good way to clean this without damaging the cymbal or the sound? Are there things I can do to prevent this from happening again or getting worse?

It looks suspiciously like mold...but I'd like to be able to clean this. On one of the cymbals it looks particularly bad in a few areas on the swish/china.

I've attached a picture to show what I'm dealing with here.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Part of life or get the old cymbal cleaner rags and rub but probably permanent and "all part of it Teo" .
all cymbals do that (B20

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I don't think anyone here is brave enough to tell you how to clean up such a valuable cymbals... :oops:

Maybe you need to give Spizzichino or one of his distributors a call.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like greenish oxidation from the sulfation of copper and/or alloys/impurities. Normal. You can try and neutralize it but then you'll end up with a brown or black spot that won't match either. I did that 2 years ago to some of my 60's Zildjians and the green didn't come back. You can use soap and water and a bit of scrubbing. Might need something stronger like a weak acid. Touch call on an expensive cymbal. If in doubt....do nothing.

Reaction score
I have no intention of ever selling them. I play them daily and bring them on the road, into the studio, and use them when the situation calls for it (anything but rock, basically). They definitely have a particular sound - which is why I got them in the first place - and they respond a bit differently than other cymbals I've played, but I'm kinda surprised these go for the insane prices they do. They are great cymbals, but not $$$$ great imo.

I bought them long ago and once they skyrocketed in value I made the decision I would keep them and play them and use them how I normally would. I treat them like any other cymbal, honestly. It did make me incredibly nervous on tours and the value of them is a pain in the butt more than anything. Once I can get back on the road when the proverbial seas calm a bit, I will take them out with me again.

Ironically, the 22 inch HH Manhattan ride I got in high school is the cymbal I treat as my most valuable. If you let me keep one cymbal, I would choose that old sabian I never clean. It honestly sounds better in my hands and to my ears than any spizz or old K.

All that being said, I used water and soap and got most of it off and then applied a bit of WD-40. Didn't impact the sound at all. I'll just try and clean them more regularly and see if that helps. On one of the cymbals, where it is particularly bad, it didn't do much. On that one I am going to try something else. The others, I'll just let it ride (ha!).

I appreciate all the advice. Y'all are awesome. :)

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everything still sounds good but I'm worried this is going to spread or get worse.
Test results came back. Your Spizz has Covid-19. It's asymptomatic meaning it's fine to play but there's a good possibility it could spread to your other cymbals. Keeping it on a dedicated stand and away from you clean cymbals for 14 days should solve the problem. Play and enjoy... with face covering of course. You're welcome.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Ironically, the 22 inch HH Manhattan ride I got in high school is the cymbal I treat as my most valuable. If you let me keep one cymbal, I would choose that old sabian I never clean. It honestly sounds better in my hands and to my ears than any spizz or old K.
The ears like what they like, price be damned! :cool:

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Test results came back. Your Spizz has Covid-19. It's asymptomatic meaning it's fine to play but there's a good possibility it could spread to your other cymbals. Keeping it on a dedicated stand and away from you clean cymbals for 14 days should solve the problem. Play and enjoy... with face covering of course. You're welcome.
The CDC (Cymbal Diagnosis Center) states you don't even have to test it for Covid. If you assume it has Covid, then you can report it has Covid.

Reaction score
My cymbals with rivets seem to respond to treatment better than the ones without.

Thanks for the laugh, all. I needed that. Truly.

Everyone stay safe out there and keep playing!