How to clean old natural wood finish?

Jazzhead

Reaction score
All,
My kit has natural maple satin finish from 80’s and when I look closely there are black lines on the shell mixed with the wood grains (on the outside of course). Is there any way to clean it up or this is how it is with old natural wood finishes?
If so, how do I clean it?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try Murphy's oil soap and an old T-shirt. I did that on a 20's Ludwig birds eye maple snare - a lot of gunk came off it. I ended up going further and refinishing it but still, you'd be surprised. It's easy to use and works well......the snare cleaned up significantly......

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Try Murphy's oil soap and an old T-shirt. I did that on a 20's Ludwig birds eye maple snare - a lot of gunk came off it. I ended up going further and refinishing it but still, you'd be surprised. It's easy to use and works well......the snare cleaned up significantly......
The finish is natural satin oil. Using that oil soap won’t mess with the finish, right? Do I just put some of that soap on an old t-shirt and apply it to the shell with gentle force?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, as the adage goes, try a little bit on an inconspicuous place and USE at your OWN RISK!

However, it's basically a soapy oil so I doubt (famous last words, right?) it will cause any damage. I'd put a dab of it on a t-shirt and either use under a lug (which is probably clean) or maybe the part behind the butt plate to see if it will clean up the dirt. But if the wood finish is cracked or damaged, and the moisture of the oil can get in and soak the shell, I'd have 2nd thoughts.

Pics would help - please post some with the hardware off BEFORE you use anything.

Maybe try warm water and a soft bristle tooth brush?

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I will hate myself if I damage the finish, but I could try carefully. One of the toms has got some dings so maybe not there. I also have this (see pic) that I got last time I was at a drum shop. Maybe I should first try this and see how it does, but for some reason I thought this might not clean up the black lines mixed with the wood grains , so I wanted to see what everyone else has used to clean up an aged blonde kit.

Attachments

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will hate myself if I damage the finish, but I could try carefully. One of the toms has got some dings so maybe not there. I also have this (see pic) that I got last time I was at a drum shop. Maybe I should first try this and see how it does, but for some reason I thought this might not clean up the black lines mixed with the wood grains , so I wanted to see what everyone else has used to clean up an aged blonde kit.
I dont know that product but it does say metal so probably not the best choice for a satin wood finish. Im sure you’ll get some experienced ideas here or you could search the site as im sure you’re not the first one to ask this question.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
I wouldn't use Murphy's on a wooden drum (or wood floors, or kitchen cabinets, or furniture - anything wood, really).

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting article.......I would think any liquid (oil, water, etc.) would get under the finish thru the cracks described by the OP and could cause damage. I wonder if the OP should just use a soft tooth brush slight damp with some water, and then a hair dryer (not a heat gun to damage the finish) and dry the area to evaporate the residual water?