How to create a Ludwig Thermogloss finish or similar one?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a vintage Ludwig 60's kit I will refinish but want to create the thermogloss finish, or something similar. Is it just a glossy finished shell? Is there anything else I need to do? Was that nitro or poly?

I may have a pro woodworker do the job as my attempt would surely turn out poorly....any tips are appreciated....thank you.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
No hope, Mike - it totally did - thanks! I have no spray booth or compressor. I was going to do a stained poly that matches the original Ludwig mahogany finish. It would be slightly tinted a darker red like this photo. Note the original mahogany under the finish on the right lower part. That is my intended final result. Thank you.

Ludwig pioneer finish.jpg

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:343127]

This is just a couple coats of Poly over clear maple, I think it's fairly close to the right color and was pretty easy.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Blue, looks good.

I ended up doing a stain (3 coats) with 6 coats of satin poly over the mahogany veneer......it turned out pretty close to my above original snare color, but then I scored a Jazz Fest snare wrapped in chrome and stripped it to match the kit (it's almost done!)....thanks.....

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
Blue, looks good.
I ended up doing a stain (3 coats) with 6 coats of satin poly over the mahogany veneer......it turned out pretty close to my above original snare color, but then I scored a Jazz Fest snare wrapped in chrome and stripped it to match the kit (it's almost done!)....thanks.....
Ah I missed that you were after the mahogany color, when I was thinking of the "Ringo" kit from the link someone else posted....anyways glad it worked

dontfeartheringo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello, comrades-
So, I found a '70s 3-ply, maple outer ply drum on Facebook marketplace. There's some sort of adhesive residue on the shell that I'll be able to get off with Citristrip or Sherwin Williams Smart Strip. Once that's all dry and I've sanded off any bits of gunk, how do I match my natural Thermogloss toms?

I want to use actually lacquer and not poly. I was thinking of using Reranch stuff. Anyone else done this? Reranch Fender Neck Amber and some clear topcoat? Or just a couple of passes with their tinted top coat?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am refinishing a vintage Gretsch SSB kit right now that is a Charlie Watts tribute kit. I wanted an aged maple look to match his but I was having a heck of a time trying to find the right color. Someone here directed me to use Amber shellac and it looks fantastic. It's a pain in the butt to apply because I'm not a woodworker nor do I have a lot of good tools or techniques. However, I'm almost done with the shells and you would never know the shells were bare maple and had not aged naturally. I believe they also make regular clear shellac that doesn't have the amber color. I looked at the Ranch stuff but the color was not exactly right and it was more expensive. I bought it from Home Depot for like $15/quart which is way more than I need for 4 drums. I'm going to refinish one of my Fender bass necks soon and will use this shellac for the neck. It dries fast and is very thin and runny but otherwise, if I can figure out a way to master those issues, it's a fantastic product. My only other gripe is that I have heard it's not very durable. I may finish the drums in a final coat of poly just to give them extra durability.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If anyone ever desires the maple thermogloss finish, I had some stain made a few years ago to match it. That and along with a gloss coat I think it would look very good. But to be honest I have not tried it yet. I did this because a buddy wanted to make a thermogloss kit.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did some thermogloss refinish. Did a hugh amount of research and samples and I can say that I can reproduce the original. Second photo. Bottom two reproduced and top two original
Excellent results! So what did you learn?