How to Dampen Cymbals

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Super strong magnets. Meinl makes some or just buy on Amazon. I like tape but hate residue. So magnets is the rout I went.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super strong magnets. Meinl makes some or just buy on Amazon. I like tape but hate residue. So magnets is the rout I went.
I have to admit, these can get the job done. The larger ones come on a little too strong, but you can move them around to find a sweeter spot. Some drum dorkery that actually works!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, these can get the job done. The larger ones come on a little too strong, but you can move them around to find a sweeter spot. Some drum dorkery that actually works!
They do I use the small ones from time to time. Way easier then scraping tape residue off.

ggmerino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tape- versatile- usually a small piece around the bell on a couple of cymbals when necessary. Use the blue painter's tape- no residue whatsoever and sticks well.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
:scratch: You mean you don't just add water? :clown:

:laughing6:
yeah, from the title I was thinking it was a spray bottle of water and a little spritz, or a gargen hose?
I have never taken the edge off, or tamed a cymbal with tape, moon gel or other treatments successfully. I have learned to play the cymbal, or changed cymbals to please my ears. I don't think a piece of tape makes a differance from the third row.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For rides my first attempt will be to put a high hat felt under the bell and tighten down the top felt washer and wing nut really tight. This kills a surprising amount or low end and some sustain. Probably more so with thinner rides. MoonGel works and I always have some in my bag. Never tried magnets.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moongel or drumdots work great. You can cut them in half also for less dampening.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to experiment with some moon gel and get some gaffers tape…but first: technique.

I’m working on self-equalizing to adjust how I hit the cymbals. I’m seeing an imaginary board in my head with slide bars to adjust the volume, and a producer/engineer in my subconscious: “Curt, let’s bring those hats down a bit. Maybe leave the crash out completely.” Lord, what a challenge, but really good for me. Long way to go, and endeavoring to break some bad habits.

Contemporaneously, I’ve been moving away from bright cymbals: Loving thinner lower pitched 15” hats, an Uptown ride and a K flat ride.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This article tells me straight out what I've known for years, namely that recording engineers take the cymbals out of the mix. It seems that only drummers care what cymbals sound like, because you darn near never hear them in the finished product.

Pibroch

Reaction score
I use a green painters tape professing to go for longer than blue without the chance of leaving residue when removed. Costs only a little more. I never leave mine on for more than a few months.

Pibroch

Reaction score
I need to experiment with some moon gel and get some gaffers tape…but first: technique.

I’m working on self-equalizing to adjust how I hit the cymbals. I’m seeing an imaginary board in my head with slide bars to adjust the volume, and a producer/engineer in my subconscious: “Curt, let’s bring those hats down a bit. Maybe leave the crash out completely.” Lord, what a challenge, but really good for me. Long way to go, and endeavoring to break some bad habits.

Contemporaneously, I’ve been moving away from bright cymbals: Loving thinner lower pitched 15” hats, an Uptown ride and a K flat ride.
Gaffers tape has been almost a nightmare for me in terms of removing left over residue after it's removed. Don't even experiment with the stuff.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
Cympads anyone?

I like my big 90mm for some things.

But these reduce high end, not wash.