How to Fix Damaged Lacquer

reelzman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience fixing damaged lacquer? It's been suggested that I "re-float" the lacquer...I'm extremely versatile with woodworking but have never heard of this.
I have a Yamaha MCAN kick (sparkle) with the issue. It seems to be a thickness of a couple of playing cards that has separated in one spot. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_0515.JPG

I can almost slip a playing card into this split.

Last edited:

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is real nitrocellulose it is relatively simple if it is a clear coat. If you have to match a color then that is a bit more work. Lacquer melts and bonds to itself. Just tape off the area around the damaged area and spray and build up new coats. After you build up enough you’ll have to sand and polish it back to level.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have some deep scratches in a lacquer drum. I'm thinking I'll fill them with super glue.

I'd like to hear how anyone has successfully addressed this problem.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Does anyone have any experience fixing damaged lacquer? It's been suggested that I "re-float" the lacquer...I'm extremely versatile with woodworking but have never heard of this.
I have a Yamaha MCAN kick (sparkle) with the issue. It seems to be a thickness of a couple of playing cards that has separated in one spot. Any help would be appreciated.
Pics would help

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Might have a couple of gouges on the bass drum but in general it is more accurately described as scuffing rather than scratches. In the worst areas you can feel a divet. This IS lacquer, not a wrap.

P1030482.JPG
P1030483.JPG
P1030483.JPG

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Lacquer" is such a general term nowadays and drum manufacturers use it to describe any spray on finish. It makes identifying the best repair method difficult. I'm interested to see how you make out with this.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me, I would use automotive clear touch-up brush, or Behlen guitar luthier spray.