How to get past a prejudice

HowardW

Reaction score
Okay everybody, let me admit that I'm prejudiced and biased. And it's pure emotion, not due to any real-world measurable thing. My prejudice has put me into a spot where it is affecting me and I don't know what to do.

You see, I HATE Tama. Unreasonable, dislike, disgust, wouldn't-take-a-free-one hate.

I hate Tama because growing up I had a used Ludwig set and my younger cousin (who was a true a-hole) had a new Tama. He couldn't play worth a crap, couldn't keep a beat with a metronome super-glued to his face, but he trash-talked me and my "old junk" set all over the school. While he was playing disco, I was playing Chicago and Genesis... certainly different levels of technique needed!

Of the two of us, he was the social one, and I still remember how his posse of friends criticized every mistake I made when playing. But of course, he was the "best" because HIS TAMA DRUMSET was new. So yes, I transferred my frustration of him into a complete dislike of "his brand", Tama. Welcome to my childhood angst :icon_lol: .

Jump forward about 40 years. Arthritis is making it harder for me to reach to my right, so my drums have been migrating more to the left side of the bass drum. But I like to play Phil Collins and Genesis, so a 4 (or even 5) piece kit won't work. I "need" the 8 inch and 10 inch toms for the 3 whole seconds of high-pitched fill in "Second Home By the Sea" or the rip in "In the Air Tonight." Positioning the toms has become an issue, because as more drums move to the left, my hi-hat moves more and more to the left as well. I need a boom tom stand to hold my 8 and 10" toms above the hi-hat. Back in the 70s and early 80s, Ludwig made one, but not any longer. Neither does DW or Gibraltar.

Who makes one? Tama. Bloody hell. It's not exactly a boom stand, but the RoadPro will tilt enough to perform the function. Still, it makes my skin crawl to think about putting a Tama stand into my kit. I can envision my cousin, standing there laughing at me.

Sigh... any thoughts?

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why not go to a rack? I had so many issues with stands over the years, that I just bit the bullet and brought a Gibraltar V-Rack, rack arms, clamps and booms and call it a day. Yes I know it's costly, but trust me, it beats the heck out of all the maneuvering on the floor to get to your drums. It's a cleaner look. Buy the front rack and set the stands up around it til you can get enough if money is an issue.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a dilemma ... cant help with the questions but can say I enjoyed the story and relate so much to my own cousin and his kit also growing up in central Arkansas! Hope you find a way to make peace with that Tama stand!!!

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm the same way with PEARL...……...total bias -- I will never buy anything with that name on it.
I grew up playing Slingerland and Ludwig kits in the late 60s and all through the 70s.
First Pearl kit I ever saw was total junk -- I thought they were all that way.

(BTW...…...Road Pro stands are great.)

Ickybaby

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt the same way about Pearl for years. For very similar reasons.

just drop the prejudice. It is silly and grounded in childish thought. You are letting a younger, less wise version of yourself hold you prisoner. Tama makes great gear.

HowardW

Reaction score
...I enjoyed the story and relate so much to my own cousin and his kit also growing up in central Arkansas!
I can still picture it... I had just finished a 45 minute set with the jazz band, wrapping up with "Ballad for a Girl In Buchannon"... I was tired, sweaty, breaking down the set to load it up. My cousin and his top-heavy braless girlfriend (it was the 1970s) walk up walk by and he starts trashing my Ludwigs ("oh man, look at the scratches... you need new heads...") and listening to them laugh.

Come to think about it, maybe it was his girlfriend that stirred my anger. He always seemed to find the girls with the most flexible morals whilst I spent weekend nights at home most of the time... :?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marketing psychology is a complex science , but its purpose hasn't changed regardless of what it tries to sell . Your thread has less to do with TAMA than the circumstances surrounding your distaste for it . We all have a box full of memories that we're unwilling to, or presently unable to let go of .

I have a few myself, you may have to pry off my ten dead fingers to get me to let go of them .

I've forgiven but not always forgotten .

Life is about change, not compromise , but change .

Sometimes

Maybe

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming your cousin no longer plays, and you are the better drummer.

This means: You have won.

In the first cover band I played with, I had a big Tama boom stand with a counterweight emblazoned Tama which I painted to highlight the brand. One night our guitarist backed into it and knocked it over and the cymbal caused some damage to the bass cabinet.

The bassist started calling me “Tama” for for a while after that.

Why am I telling you this? I’m telling you this because my nickname was Tama and I endorse you. You can now buy all Tama gear and tell your cousin that you are “endorsed by Tama.”

No matter how this plays out. You’ve already won.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a Rogers snob for years. It had to be swivo. Memoriloc was a travesty; that bloody drainpipe sized hardware. Forget the rest. Well, now I’ve mellowed and found happiness with Ludwig and Gretsch. You may not be there yet, so to Hades with Tama. Or visit Halldor and Murat. They have absolutely beautiful instruments.