How to get past a prejudice

Vicey

Reaction score
Owning and incorporating this one bit of Tama gear will symbolize your victory. That victory may be the maturity to chose the gear that works irrespective of irrational associations. Or it may be drinking the sweet wine of victory from your cousin's skull every time you hit that 10" tom on a Tama stand. Your choice.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my Tama Cherry Wine Superstars new in 1984. And I'm sure I couldn't play all that great. I'm glad I wasn't your cousin.....lol. Fwiw, I should have kept the old 60's Rogers and Slingerlands I gave up to buy them. Bad decision.

On my concert tom Icon kit I used the very adjustable and massive Tama 80's double tom stand with counterweight to lift and angle in my 8 and 10 concert toms. I see that stand often buyable out there in the $50-$85 range.
With those raised and angled inward, I had enough room to slide my hi hats just a bit under them and still have room to play hand over hand. That also required cutting about 8-10" off the std height hi hat stem.

best 2.jpg
best 32.jpg

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking about this: https://www.guitarcenter.com/DW/Double-Tom-Mount-with-Angle-Adjustable-V-Clamp.gc ?

I have one in my parts boxes. I've tried it before but it was wobbly. But then again, I was not using a wide-base cymbal stand.
FYI the 9000 series stands, expensive for a reason, are incredibly stable. Almost all my cymbal stands and all my double tom stands are 9000"s and two of those have two toms and at least one cymbal on them. They are rock solid! I'm not sure what exact rig you're considering but if you splurge on a 9000 stand you won't have to put up with the ghost of your cousin.
OK, I just checked out the DWSMMG992. It mounts off a cymbal stand and a 9000 stand would probably handle an 8" and 10" tom combo without issues. You don't need to angle them all that far from the center of gravity/stand footprint. Spread the legs/feet to the max width and experiment with their orientation for stability.
There are other options too. You could get a cable hi hat and dog-bone the top section off a regular dw double tom stand with your 8 and 10. Those 9000 double tom stands are rocks too!
There are options other than conquering your bias.
I would consider the cable hat route. That is what I'm planning anyway on my set so I can nestle my 8" low and between my left knee and the 10" tom and next to the main snare with the hat cymbals where they would normally be but without the hi-hat main shaft interfering with the bottom rim of the 8".
This stuff is fun...no?

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my Tama Cherry Wine Superstars new in 1984. And I'm sure I couldn't play all that great. I'm glad I wasn't your cousin.....lol. Fwiw, I should have kept the old 60's Rogers and Slingerlands I gave up to buy them. Bad decision.

On my concert tom Icon kit I used the very adjustable and massive Tama 80's double tom stand with counterweight to lift and angle in my 8 and 10 concert toms. I see that stand often buyable out there in the $50-$85 range.
With those raised and angled inward, I had enough room to slide my hi hats just a bit under them and still have room to play hand over hand. That also required cutting about 8-10" off the std height hi hat stem.

View attachment 490806 View attachment 490807
Wow, just wow !!

Killer

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To overcome one irrational mental hangup, you need to embrace everything that caused you pain. Yes, buy the Tama stand, but don’t stop there! Also buy yourself a brand new Tama kit. Nicer than you need. Nicer than you can reasonably afford — eight or nine pieces, at least, and maybe a couple gong drums?

But wait, you’re still not done! You need to get yourself a new girlfriend that looks exactly like your cousin’s back in the day. And finally, you need to play... disco. Not just, like, one time and call it good. No, you need to live it. You need to feel a disco beat in every step you take, every bite of food, every beat of your heart... even the sound of you blinking. And then play it and nothing else on your new Tama mega-kit while your braless girlfriend dances!

THAT is the only way to overcome your cousin — to finally silence the sound of his laughter that still echoes in your head!!!

(I’m not a therapist or anything, though, so grain of salt, etc.)

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm the same way with PEARL...……...total bias -- I will never buy anything with that name on it.
I grew up playing Slingerland and Ludwig kits in the late 60s and all through the 70s.
First Pearl kit I ever saw was total junk -- I thought they were all that way.

(BTW...…...Road Pro stands are great.)
I think if you played a set or two on a Masters Mahogany Classic kit like mine, it might at least change one note of your tune. The tone even gets compliments from singers.

As for TAMA, I like the sound of their drums, but the only one in my stable is an 18" kick converted from a floor tom. The right snare drum deals just never crossed my desk at the right time.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m pro dw hardware period won’t use nothing else. I gig all the time and dw has held up for 15 yes for me. Tama has stripped and broke before the switch. I will say this I have a tama 14x6.5 center bead snare nothing fancy rusty as hell but sounds amazing.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some envy creeping in there. Maybe Tama symbolizes your coming into your own, and letting bygones be bygones. Good luck! Interesting story, I think.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've played Tama drums for over 40 years now. Started with a set of Superstars in 1980 and now play Starclassic Maples. I'm more of a jazz player but play a little bit of everything. Very RARELY disco! lol

Just think of your cousin as the entitled kid with the shiny new sports car daddy bought him. He probably wrecked that car years ago. Doesn't matter what car company made it. I love the sound of Tama drums! Their build quality and durability is second to none. Same goes for their hardware.

My 2 cents. Just remember I'm a pilot not a psychologist... ;)

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
What matters is this: who makes what you need?

Fact based decisions are generally good.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
You need an intervention. @halldorl and myself will come to your house, we'll have a nice chat. By the time we are gone, you will have ordered your first Star set ;-)
Excellent! It will be an international intervention. The therapists will come Turkey by way of Canada, and from Iceland.
Or you could attempt the following. While I am not telling you to do this, you could endeavor to find or print up some Ludwig stickers/decals in sizes to cover over the ghastly Tama logos.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this seems insensitive, but I'd bet your cousin isn't thinking about your drums at all, so the only one who cares at this point is you. You're letting him win even now by resisting what you need because of a bygone situation with him. My advice is to just get the stand you need, enjoy having it, and be done with the whole thing. I realize that it may be easier said than done, but I do think that's where your answer is.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sigh... any thoughts?
Get the Tama stand and put a big ol' beautiful Ludwig sticker on the main tube and you're good to go (or a few on the legs and/or arms or maybe a script "L" to place over the "T")!!!!