How to get past a prejudice

HowardW

Reaction score
FYI the 9000 series stands, expensive for a reason, are incredibly stable. ..
OK, I just checked out the DWSMMG992. It mounts off a cymbal stand and a 9000 stand would probably handle an 8" and 10" tom combo without issues.
I ordered one tonight, hopefully it will solve the issue.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the drum set you are working with/on/ here

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working with my Ludwig Hollywood. I've picked up new (b-stock) 8" and 10" Ludwig Classic Maple toms and I'm building the set out to a 7 piece set.
I wouldn’t want to fly classic drums on a Tama stand either , good for you .
Let the HATE stay ...
You can’t be too pure ya know .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
70s Atlas Boom ' work; Let's See The Set Howie!!heckuva lot lighter too!!!!!

HowardW

Reaction score
70s Atlas Boom ' work; Let's See The Set Howie!!heckuva lot lighter too!!!!!
I remember the Atlas boom! But I can't seem to find one :icon_e_sad:. And from a practical perspective, the 1970s Atlas stuff was 9 mm and current ATLAS is 12 mm. I would have to do some engineering to make it work. (I'm not sure if a new ATLAS post would fit in the old Atlas boom.)

Here's the set today. With the new toms I'll have to pull it further from the wall.

Attachments

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Same here.... absolutely no good reason, but I don't like Pearl. Ian Paice even plays them, but I still will never own Pearl.
When I started back in the 60's Pearl was the top of the heap around these parts..Everybody wanted a set...I never did get a kit. The small music stores never sold them...As I got older and more aware of what was out there, Pearl just kind of faded away for me...
As far as Tama goes, I never had a problem with them, but my wallet only allowed me to own a limited amount and they never really appealed..

Last edited:

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think if you played a set or two on a Masters Mahogany Classic kit like mine, it might at least change one note of your tune. The tone even gets compliments from singers.

As for TAMA, I like the sound of their drums, but the only one in my stable is an 18" kick converted from a floor tom. The right snare drum deals just never crossed my desk at the right time.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nope -- that won't do it.
My band opened for 38 Special in 2013 and I played Moffat's Masters Birch kit for a minute.
Great drums...…….....but not as cool as my old Gretch USA Customs.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay everybody, let me admit that I'm prejudiced and biased. And it's pure emotion, not due to any real-world measurable thing. My prejudice has put me into a spot where it is affecting me and I don't know what to do.

You see, I HATE Tama. Unreasonable, dislike, disgust, wouldn't-take-a-free-one hate.

I hate Tama because growing up I had a used Ludwig set and my younger cousin (who was a true a-hole) had a new Tama. He couldn't play worth a crap, couldn't keep a beat with a metronome super-glued to his face, but he trash-talked me and my "old junk" set all over the school. While he was playing disco, I was playing Chicago and Genesis... certainly different levels of technique needed!

Of the two of us, he was the social one, and I still remember how his posse of friends criticized every mistake I made when playing. But of course, he was the "best" because HIS TAMA DRUMSET was new. So yes, I transferred my frustration of him into a complete dislike of "his brand", Tama. Welcome to my childhood angst :icon_lol: .

Jump forward about 40 years. Arthritis is making it harder for me to reach to my right, so my drums have been migrating more to the left side of the bass drum. But I like to play Phil Collins and Genesis, so a 4 (or even 5) piece kit won't work. I "need" the 8 inch and 10 inch toms for the 3 whole seconds of high-pitched fill in "Second Home By the Sea" or the rip in "In the Air Tonight." Positioning the toms has become an issue, because as more drums move to the left, my hi-hat moves more and more to the left as well. I need a boom tom stand to hold my 8 and 10" toms above the hi-hat. Back in the 70s and early 80s, Ludwig made one, but not any longer. Neither does DW or Gibraltar.

Who makes one? Tama. Bloody hell. It's not exactly a boom stand, but the RoadPro will tilt enough to perform the function. Still, it makes my skin crawl to think about putting a Tama stand into my kit. I can envision my cousin, standing there laughing at me.

Sigh... any thoughts?
In a different direction, physical therapy (preferably with a therapist who specializes sports rehab), including discrete rotator cuff support/strengthening exercises, may be the better long term solution.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the Atlas boom!
yea it would match all that you have there which is very very Nice. Even your 12 has the small lug.
~
to make sure we're on same page->
You'd "just" need center tier/section
/add/another a twin tom holder;

i have the center vintage Atlas cymbal boom tier; it still sees duty here and there with me)

Last edited:

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am not going to say much except the hatred of your cousin is literally denying you the hardware you need. But this thread is funny as heck!