How to get past a prejudice

HowardW

Reaction score
I am not going to say much except the hatred of your cousin is literally denying you the hardware you need. But this thread is funny as heck!
To be honest, I posted the thread for the humor aspect, and I'm glad a lot of you got a chuckle from it! These days I only see my cousin every couple of years at family funerals, so I took my dislike of Tama and spun it into a (hopefully) entertaining story :D.

I'm perfectly happy with my life, my GF, my car, me house, my music, advancing age and the drums listed below. And hopefully the DW boom will let me bulk up my vintage Ludwig set!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To be honest, I posted the thread for the humor aspect, and I'm glad a lot of you got a chuckle from it! These days I only see my cousin every couple of years at family funerals, so I took my dislike of Tama and spun it into a (hopefully) entertaining story :D.

I'm perfectly happy with my life, my GF, my car, me house, my music, advancing age and the drums listed below. And hopefully the DW boom will let me bulk up my vintage Ludwig set!
I hope you knew my answer was tongue in cheek!

Carry on! Make us laugh! We ALL need it!

Jay-Dee

Reaction score

My sincere apologies Howard but when I read your original post I somehow completely missed the tone and humour and took it as like a serious Facebook style attention seeking bleat. I replied on page two with an other's have it worse, shut up and buy the Tama stand kind of rant (possibly what attracted the drink less whiskey before posting comment :)) but deleted it shortly after thinking I'd probably been a bit too insensitive and should have kept my thoughts to myself.

When I later saw that you had put a laughing like to that whiskey comment (mine was deleted before then) I went back and read your original post again and realised I'd completely missed the boat and you were having a laugh.

I'm really pleased that you've decided on the DW stand and your life is good, but still would've liked to see you get the Tama stand just to prove to yourself that you had really moved on from the traumatic cousin interactions of your youth :D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
No problem at all, Jay-Dee, sometimes my sense of humor is a little off kilter B). No apologies needed at all!
Thanks Howard :cool:, I think your humour is ok, it's my comprehension skills that were off kilter.

Last edited:

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it's just a stand you need you could easily cover the tama logos with tape and move on so that you're not hindered in your ability to play what you want. Otherwise, unless you can find someone else who makes what you need you're stuck. Unless you go whole hog and buy a rack system.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I woudn't loose any sleep over it... Just get the thing, Tama or not! I have my own prejudices, I suppose. For me Pearl is kind of the least sexy, least desirable brand... and yet I own some of the hardware, which is perfectly fine. If I were to magically find some kind of Pearl high end kit in the sizes and finish that I like for dirt cheap (and lets just say for the sake of argument that I couldn't trade it in for anything else), I'd buy it, use it and get to be fine with the brand. I'd say that all the major brands, if you spend enough make fantastic gear and make it in enough differnt configurations to make anyone happy....

Last edited:

Monday317

Reaction score
Okay everybody, let me admit that I'm prejudiced and biased. And it's pure emotion, not due to any real-world measurable thing. My prejudice has put me into a spot where it is affecting me and I don't know what to do.

You see, I HATE Tama. Unreasonable, dislike, disgust, wouldn't-take-a-free-one hate.

I hate Tama because growing up I had a used Ludwig set and my younger cousin (who was a true a-hole) had a new Tama. He couldn't play worth a crap, couldn't keep a beat with a metronome super-glued to his face, but he trash-talked me and my "old junk" set all over the school. While he was playing disco, I was playing Chicago and Genesis... certainly different levels of technique needed!

Of the two of us, he was the social one, and I still remember how his posse of friends criticized every mistake I made when playing. But of course, he was the "best" because HIS TAMA DRUMSET was new. So yes, I transferred my frustration of him into a complete dislike of "his brand", Tama. Welcome to my childhood angst :icon_lol: .

Jump forward about 40 years. Arthritis is making it harder for me to reach to my right, so my drums have been migrating more to the left side of the bass drum. But I like to play Phil Collins and Genesis, so a 4 (or even 5) piece kit won't work. I "need" the 8 inch and 10 inch toms for the 3 whole seconds of high-pitched fill in "Second Home By the Sea" or the rip in "In the Air Tonight." Positioning the toms has become an issue, because as more drums move to the left, my hi-hat moves more and more to the left as well. I need a boom tom stand to hold my 8 and 10" toms above the hi-hat. Back in the 70s and early 80s, Ludwig made one, but not any longer. Neither does DW or Gibraltar.

Who makes one? Tama. Bloody hell. It's not exactly a boom stand, but the RoadPro will tilt enough to perform the function. Still, it makes my skin crawl to think about putting a Tama stand into my kit. I can envision my cousin, standing there laughing at me.

Sigh... any thoughts?
I feel your pain. I nurtured a hatred for Slingerland back in the day (for somewhat similar reasons); thankfully they are a spent force now. Also, I just turned 66, though the big R has passed me by to date. Not so the big Prostate C, but while I can tell the story with a laugh, I’ll save it for the long winter nights. Anyhoo—

Two words: Roto-Toms. You can plant ‘em anywhere you like—I’ve even seen them stacked vertically. Think that might be your answer?

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Okay everybody, let me admit that I'm prejudiced and biased. And it's pure emotion, not due to any real-world measurable thing. My prejudice has put me into a spot where it is affecting me and I don't know what to do.

You see, I HATE Tama. Unreasonable, dislike, disgust, wouldn't-take-a-free-one hate.

I hate Tama because growing up I had a used Ludwig set and my younger cousin (who was a true a-hole) had a new Tama. He couldn't play worth a crap, couldn't keep a beat with a metronome super-glued to his face, but he trash-talked me and my "old junk" set all over the school. While he was playing disco, I was playing Chicago and Genesis... certainly different levels of technique needed!

Of the two of us, he was the social one, and I still remember how his posse of friends criticized every mistake I made when playing. But of course, he was the "best" because HIS TAMA DRUMSET was new. So yes, I transferred my frustration of him into a complete dislike of "his brand", Tama. Welcome to my childhood angst :icon_lol: .

Jump forward about 40 years. Arthritis is making it harder for me to reach to my right, so my drums have been migrating more to the left side of the bass drum. But I like to play Phil Collins and Genesis, so a 4 (or even 5) piece kit won't work. I "need" the 8 inch and 10 inch toms for the 3 whole seconds of high-pitched fill in "Second Home By the Sea" or the rip in "In the Air Tonight." Positioning the toms has become an issue, because as more drums move to the left, my hi-hat moves more and more to the left as well. I need a boom tom stand to hold my 8 and 10" toms above the hi-hat. Back in the 70s and early 80s, Ludwig made one, but not any longer. Neither does DW or Gibraltar.

Who makes one? Tama. Bloody hell. It's not exactly a boom stand, but the RoadPro will tilt enough to perform the function. Still, it makes my skin crawl to think about putting a Tama stand into my kit. I can envision my cousin, standing there laughing at me.

Sigh... any thoughts?
As someone who has professionally trained people to address bias, the answer is spend time with others that are not like you. Switching to drums, spend time with a Tama product. They make great equipment. These players seem to see or saw value in Tama:
  1. Billy Cobham
  2. Simon Phillips
  3. Lenny White
  4. Stewart Copeland
  5. Neil Peart
  6. Kenny Aronoff
  7. Peter Erskine
  8. Mike Portnoy
  9. John Tempesta
  10. Tim Alexander

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Hahaha ahhhhh great story man.

Here's what I tell everyone about family - you gotta love em, but no where did anywhere say you have to remotely like em. Hate away sir!

Your cousin is a chotchbag thru and thru. My recommendation would be to transform the experience and transfer the hate you have for Tama directly to your cousin.

My absolutely non-medical medical recommendation would be you get a paper lunch bag, write "Tama" on it, and fill it up with as dog and horse mess as you can find.

Proceed to stick it on the front door of his house, light it on fire, and ring the doorbell. Run to your car and blast as much messy disco as you can think of, and watch as he stomps out the firey shitstorm.

Like a Phoenix, you're hate for Tama will be reborn thru fire as pure love...and you're love-hate for your cousin will be cleansed blasting awful tunes that he loves to stomping burning mess on his front lawn.

As long as you don't get arrested, should be fucking hilarious.

Last edited:

Core Creek

Reaction score
My nemesis in elementary school was a kid named Ron. He was a real pr**k. Fast forward to middle school and I heard he played drums and I vividly remember asking to stop by his place after school to check them out: Ferrari red Pearl exports and Paiste cymbals. All I could think when I sat behind the kit and cautiously hit things was “I can be a better drummer than Ron”.

And thus started my dislike of Pearl and Paiste. It’s amazing how these biases exist in the first place.

I vote to either get a rack or get the Tama. My reaction to disliking Pearl was to get Tama and I have never been disappointed with their hardware.

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can turn this into a script, I think we can sell it to Miles Teller.
But somebody's drum kit is going to have to get smashed at some point during the filming.

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If your cousin was out with a bra less top heavy girlfriend with questionable morals and you stayed at home on weekends alone with your Genesis records, he sounds like the clear winner to me. Jeez dude, I’m thinking that you may wanna lighten up a bit. Furthermore, when Tama hit the scene, they simply made better stuff and the rest is history. It took the American companies decades to realize how flawed their business models were and some (but not all) continued on to the great presence they have now.

HowardW

Reaction score
Furthermore, when Tama hit the scene, they simply made better stuff and the rest is history. It took the American companies decades to realize how flawed their business models were and some (but not all) continued on to the great presence they have now.
You actually have a good point here, in the late 1970s/early 1980s American quality control was not good. That gave Tama and Pearl the opening they needed.

While I posted this thread out of humor, I actually do have a real bias against Japanese-owned drum companies. It comes from real-world: I started my professional IT career in the mid 1980s. At that time, several American companies produced RAM chips for computers. Then the Japanese companies started selling their RAM chips below cost (with the tacit support of their government.) Technically it was illegal in the USA, but the demand for RAM was enormous, Japan heavily invested in lobbyists in Washington and the American government chose to look the other way.

RAM prices fell to below where the American companies could make them, and the American chip makers gave up. Then once the American companies were out of the way, the Japanese companies hiked the prices back up to higher than before. But at this point the Japanese had taken over the market. In the US, we complain when Wal-Mart comes into a small town and drives out the mom-n-pop stores. I see this as no different.

I'm very pro-business, but I also believe in a degree of regulation to level the playing field. When one company (or oligarchy) can steamroller all the competition, is it really healthy for the consumer?

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm very pro-business, but I also believe in a degree of regulation to level the playing field. When one company (or oligarchy) can steamroller all the competition, is it really healthy for the consumer?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get where you’re coming from but there’s a ton of things about life that are simply unfair. Like the fact I turn 62 next month. There’s not a thing I can do about it but embrace it and move on.
I just retired after 42 years of being a union electrician. The non union companies would regularly bid just under what a union company would and crushed certain market shares. They knew exactly where they needed to be. It was frustrating but not entirely unfair looking back.

HowardW

Reaction score
Yeah, I get where you’re coming from but there’s a ton of things about life that are simply unfair. Like the fact I turn 62 next month. There’s not a thing I can do about it but embrace it and move on.
Very true, and at the end, there's no reason to be miserable about things one can't control. I'm sure Tama, Yamaha and Pearl make good drums and I'm happy for those who groove with them. My experiences turned me a different direction, and now, I have plenty of drums that I like (although the GF thinks I have too many... she's going to be royally pissed when she sees the new Gretsch set I've ordered...) And yes, my hardware (DW and Ludwig ATLAS) is made in Asia and I happily use it.

Best thing is to laugh and move on...

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sigh... any thoughts?
Counselling?

phdamage

Reaction score
as a professional level grudge holder, I empathize. however, Tama make some awesome stuff. I have a 90s Starclassic that is my #1, an ArtstarII and a Granstar Custom. All are great. their hardware is also rock solid. I need to replace boom arms every once in a while, but I have a few roadpro booms I've had for 20 years and they have been gigged on a helluva lot.

that jerk cousin (hopefully he has grown up a little since?) didn't work for Tama or anything.

Terrible people own lots of cool stuff; don't let them ruin cool stuff.

sternerp

Reaction score
This thread opened a very old childhood wound that I still grouse about.

When I was 10, I got signed up to take drum lessons at my elementary school (this was 1964). I asked my parents for a snare drum, and specified a Ludwig. When Christmas came, I got my drum: a "Mastro" plastic toy drum. I was mortified. I liked the skinny sticks that came with it, so I took them to my lesson. When I proudly showed them to my teacher, she informed me that they were "toys". Boy, was I embarrassed.
Mastro drum.jpg

The next Christmas, I again asked for a Ludwig snare drum. This time I got a used Ludwig Pioneer gold-on-black Duco, which. It wasn't the blue sparkle I specified, but it was good enough.

My parents never responded to my requests to have a full kit, but were more than happy to buy me a used spinet organ, so I could play "proper" music and use headphones so they wouldn't have to listen.

In my late 30's I got back into drums, though this time it was congas and Afro-Cuban music. I got pretty good at playing them and played in various bands. One time, I mentioned to my mom that I'd just played a really fun gig, and her response was "when are you going to play music again?", referring to the organ. She never understood.

I'm now 66, own a 1968 Ludwig Hollywood, a 1964 Rogers and a Gretsch New Classic, along with my congas. And ironically, I just bought a new Hammond organ and am studying organ blues and jazz. Mom would be proud.