How to get productive work in on drums without the kit?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With the stay at home order I want to play more but now my wife is home all the time. I cant practice when she is away like before. Due to space limitations I'm trying to think of ways to improve without always being on the kit. She has been wonderfully supportive with drums because they already take up a big part of the great room. I dont want to push it further with her and there isnt space to move them to another part of the house. Have any of you come up with creative ways to improve your overall playing with limited kit time. Thanks

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I learned a whole set for a tribute band on dining room chairs and air drumming. I didn't have pads or an E- kit at the time but I know where my drums are in my head (if that makes sense) . It really helped my playing. So my set up was chair snare, chair floor tom, Air cymbals, air hats, far corner of the floortom chair was a ride and the far side of the snare chair was my rack tom. Worked surprisingly well and didn't annoy my upstairs neighbor in the least.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
creative ways to improve your overall playing with limited kit time
Used to be a class I really enjoyed/ looked forward to/ at Berklee called "Listening & Analysis".
Of course rest of household might have trouble digesting Ornette Coleman...
maybe try putting on some classical music..no wait.
oh heck just put the Swing channel on Dish 4037 or something..
and Listen. That's how you absorb w/o drums in front of you.

If you have a pencil and manuscript/or just paper/ you can start to write it out i.e. transcribe what the home is listening to (or do it in private with head phones. get a note Book and transcribe one bar four bar episodes

Last edited:

NewBeat

Reaction score
Air/knee drum sitting on the sofa with a metronome. Can't really do anything too complicated or intricate, but time will improve (while learning to relax :smile:).

Latest posts