How to install Zildjian rivets

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
So I got some of these Zildjian branded ones for a ride I have (Left side ride) and I see no splits in them. What's the trick? I have a hammer and some pliers.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I take a punch I have with a rounded end and set that in the opening of the rivet then give it a whack, that usually flares the outside edge of the rivet outward slightly. Then I work at expanding that with the rounded side of a small ball peen hammer. I have pretty good luck doing it like that, maybe one in four bends over and I have to cut it off and start over. This isn't something I tackle very often but I've done it a few times and this was the method I arrived at through trial and error.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Have a look in this thread

I give examples of how Zildjian do it with some specific tool they have, and a non Zildjian one. I've also got examples of rivets where somebody pounded it on the end to spread it out but I didn't include those photos in the thread.

DIY-tube-rivets.png

You can also hammer it on the edge to just squash the whole rivet out. I don't have a picture of that handy, but I'll add one if I come across one.

The method KO is describing is a bit more civilized.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly what KO said. Done it many times the same way. With a little care you can make them look perfect.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many years ago I bought a bag of Bpsphorous brass split rivets. Not only are they easier to install, I think they also sound better. And they're easier to reuse.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Split rivets sound just as good as tube rivets. The only reason I don't use them is because of their propensity to grab ahold of cloth, thread, cables - anything that comes into their vicinity. Even the tube rivets I use will do the same if a smooth flare is not done.

GeeDeeEmm

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have used a decorative hinge pin...(the ones with the round ball on top)...as a drift. Make sure you have something heavy and solid under the rivet head and tap straight down on it.

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have used Bosphorus rivets before but never tried the Zildjian ones. These days two cymbals with rivet holes get a suitable sized screw from my tool box full of them. I screw them in when needed and unscrew them when not needed. Keep a couple in my cymbal bag's pocket. They work perfectly and never fall out when playing. But that didn't answer the question, I know .... sorry ....

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have used a decorative hinge pin...(the ones with the round ball on top)...as a drift. Make sure you have something heavy and solid under the rivet head and tap straight down on it.
Excellent idea! I'll have to try that.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts