How To Pack A Cymbal For Shipping

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some think it is ok to throw a cymbal into an old pizza box and send it off. Not me. This is how I pack a cymbal for shipping.
First, I fold a large piece of cardboard to encase the cymbal.
Then I put that into a box at least 2 inches larger than the diameter of the cymbal, stuffing it full of paper so that the cymbal is not touching the sides of the box.
Using a straightedge helps to fold and cut the cardboard straight. Be generous with the tape.
If done correctly, the cymbal edges will be well protected with at least an inch of space on every side.
When you shake the box nothing inside should move around.
It takes a little time to do it right, but if the cymbal is damaged in shipment, it will not be because of poor packing. They would pretty much have to run it over with a truck to damage it when packed this way.

Attachments

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Another strategy that I've had good success with lately are the mirror / framed picture boxes that Home Depot sells in a variety of sizes.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bought a cymbal from a forum member recently. I was impressed by the fact that he lined the edge of the cymbal with foam pipe insulation.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
latzanimal said:
Bought a cymbal from a forum member recently. I was impressed by the fact that he lined the edge of the cymbal with foam pipe insulation.
Mike sure knows how to pack a cymbal.... he also has an unlimited supply of tape...lol
He did an excellent job of packing The cymbal!

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Monty said:
I did the same on my last cymbal sold. Works great!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bubble wrap (big or small) at 12-6, then 3-9, then in an X-shape on the exposed areas. Make sure it's totally wrapped. Then, I use a bunch of clear packaging tape (dollar store, or other discount stores) and tape the heck out of it. Usually about 2-3" padding on top and bottom. I then use newspaper or foam or other cardboard boxes (whatever is handy) to fill the box, then tape it heavily in all directions. I've never had an issue. If I do have foam tubing, I put that on the edge first before I do the bubble wrap.

Since I've bought a lot of stuff, I have a small arsenal of boxes and various wrapping/bubbles/etc. I keep a box cutter and tape in my car for items when out in the field........

musicman64

Reaction score
back when i sold a lot of cymbals, i luckily had a bike shop nearby. I used their take-offs{ 16", 18" 20" 22"} tires as edge protectors inside the box. I do it now as others are doing it above..foam pipe insulators..cardboard box inside box. BUT, last month i got a Amazon shipment...20 " cymbal, alone inside a 22 x 24 x 6" box..no packaging or paper..just the cymbal..Luckily it arrived ok, but it just goes to show, how little people think of "other peoples money"!!

R

RickP

I always pack a cymbal with pipe insulation and then bubble wrap as well , followed by crunches up paper and bubble wrap .

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ultra-paranoid packing is the only way to roll! I like to mummify packages in cellophane for extra protection. It's a scary world out there in courier land!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
robthetimekeeper said:
Some think it is ok to throw a cymbal into an old pizza box and send it off. Not me. This is how I pack a cymbal for shipping.
First, I fold a large piece of cardboard to encase the cymbal.
Then I put that into a box at least 2 inches larger than the diameter of the cymbal, stuffing it full of paper so that the cymbal is not touching the sides of the box.
Using a straightedge helps to fold and cut the cardboard straight. Be generous with the tape.
If done correctly, the cymbal edges will be well protected with at least an inch of space on every side.
When you shake the box nothing inside should move around.
It takes a little time to do it right, but if the cymbal is damaged in shipment, it will not be because of poor packing. They would pretty much have to run it over with a truck to damage it when packed this way.
That is how I pack them as well, but I will try to find a bag to put the cymbal into if possible. These idiots who send you a cymbal in a box not secured to the box with exposed edges...it almost always turns out bad. I just return them to them. I am particular about rough edges, dents, flea bites...I want to know in advance what it has. Some of those issues can be polished out, but don't send me a cymbal that has been dragged over concrete... The pizza box really pisses me off... No respect for the instrument or the buyer.

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
Just paid $55 to ship an 18" cymbal from coast to coast via USPS retail ground. Am I doing something wrong here, or does that price sound reasonable?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just paid $55 to ship an 18" cymbal from coast to coast via USPS retail ground. Am I doing something wrong here, or does that price sound reasonable?
You're doing something wrong. A 22x22x4 box, about 10 pounds from GA to CA is less than $25 (to a residence, cheaper to a business) via Fedex. UPS is often similar. NEVER use USPS for large packages. Also, oversized boxes will cost you more. If I used 22x22x8 instead of 4" deep, the fedex rate goes up to $36.

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I use new boxes. (Since I've shipped a lot of cymbals, I ordered a bunch of 22x22x4 from ULINE. Saves me a lot of time searching and / or cutting down boxes.) If I don't have cymbal boxes on hand, I use a 22" cube from home depot or 20" cube from Staples, depending on the cymbal size, both cut down to 4" deep.
I put a square of extra cardboard at the bottom of the box, wrap cymbal in two layers of bubble. Then I take 4 squares of cardboard, and with added bubble wrap, fold them over the 4 edges of the cymbal. I then put another extra cardboard on the top and seal the box, making sure the cymbal can't rattle around.
I use a 22" box for 19s and 20s, a 24" cube cut down for 21s and 22s, and a 20" box for 16-18s.

Latest posts