How To Pack A Cymbal For Shipping

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That same 18" cymbal above would have only cost $20-$25 to ship via Reverb's internal shipping....usually UPS. Large packages and long distances don't work well with USPS. Small and short distances to USPS.

I've had cymbals come to me packaged from bullet proof double boxed to pizza boxes with the cymbal almost ready to poke out. And yet not once in dozens of times had a single cymbal sustained ANY shipping damage. They are much more resilient than you think. These days I just put 4-8" of extra cardboard every 90 deg around the cymbal. That's the 2nd layer. No need to double box normally. A little cushion layer above and below it with foam, newspaper, bubble wrap, most anything. Nothing too fancy unless it's a $200+ cymbal. IF there is damage on a cymbal, odds are 90%+ or more it was there BEFORE shipping. That's been my experiences 100% of the time.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've shipped 100's of Bettis's cymbals all over the world when I was demoing for him. Weight will drive your price up as well as a box that's only a few inches larger than your cymbal. Extra cardboard adds weight. I protect the edges and wrap once in bubble wrap with a minimal amount of extra packing. If the cymbal is firm in the box and doesn't move around you're good to go. Tape weighs nothing and I used it liberally on box edges and seams.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've bought and sold a ton of cymbals. Have received them in all kinda crazy ways. I have gotten a couple in which the cymbal was protected on the edges by a garden hose split into. One that I got like this was a very expensive cymbal. The method along with proper packing works nice.

Mike

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I once received a new, Zildjian A 17" thin crash from Music123. It arrived with no packing at all, sharing a box with a cymbal stand, and it came squashed and inverted.

Reminded me of a poem someone posted here years ago:

"I used to hate china's.
but today I'm converted.
I stepped on my rock-ride,
and now it's inverted."

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a cymbal wrapped in a thick shaggy toilet seat cover. Pretty hip actually.

Btw. I love to EAT peanuts..but please don't use the styrofoam ones to pack.

If you do....well then...

Screenshot_20200727-230602_Photos.jpg

lcondo123

Reaction score
I recently had a cymbal shipped to me from Guitar Center. I was surprised how well they had it packaged. They took layers upon layers of bubble wrap, cut it to size to fit snugly inside the box, fit the cymbal in the center of this "pocket" of bubble wrap, and put the whole unit in a box. Think of an Oreo, but each cookie layer is bubble wrap, there were like four layers of bubble wrap above and below the cymbal, and the wrap was taped around the cymbal so it was sitting "inside" it, so to speak. I had to YANK the cymbal to get it out of its bubble wrap nest. Definitely keeping the box and packaging for next time I sell and ship a cymbal. Very smart and simple packaging IMO.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've shipped 100's of Bettis's cymbals all over the world when I was demoing for him. Weight will drive your price up as well as a box that's only a few inches larger than your cymbal. Extra cardboard adds weight. I protect the edges and wrap once in bubble wrap with a minimal amount of extra packing. If the cymbal is firm in the box and doesn't move around you're good to go. Tape weighs nothing and I used it liberally on box edges and seams.
Got any secret leftover Bettis rides to sell?
I’ve gotten close to a few purchases before, but lost my courage re buying on line.
With you picking it out, I’d be more comfortable.

Last edited:

Latest posts