How to play this

Leamordor

Reaction score
Hey guys I just started playing drum and I don’t understand how this one is supposed to sound like ? Can anyone help me :) thanks ! (The 3rd one) it’s actually the double snare and Tom part that I don’t understand mixed with 1 ride

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others. This is notated incorrectly on multiple levels.

Last edited:

60's Drummer

Reaction score
Best i can decipher (which is near impossible) - the top measure is supposed to be 1 & 2 &a3e& 4 &a.
Middle = 1 & 2 &a3e& 4e&a
Last = 1 & 2 &a3e&a4e&a

Written music is an aid to replicating its performance - this is nothing but an illegible hindrance.
Time signatures and proper beaming are both missing.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, I can see three measures, numbers 2, 3 and 4.

The first two are certainly in 4/4 time, it seems to be a boogaloo beat: "doom - bap, ba doom ba doom bap."

It's beamed incorrectly. The first 8th note should be beamed to the second. The fourth 8th note should be a 16th note beamed to the 16th note on the snare. (The stems are also done incorrectly.)

So, in measure #4, (also beamed incorrectly, also with incorrect stems) the fourth 8th note should be a 16th note, beamed to the 16th note on the snare.

Then the second half of the measure should be four 16ths on the snare, beamed together. Then four 16ths on the tom, beamed together, with all the stems in the same direction.

So measure #4 sounds like: "doom - bap, ba baba baba bubu bubu"

No wonder you're having trouble, this guy doesn't know how to notate music....

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
noteswrong.jpeg

Leave it up there' may attempt to interpret "it" this week if the weather warms up.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
See if this works lol. That's Rock Beat # ?

Follow link below to hear.

Last edited:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What’s wrong with it ?
The stems on the snare should be connected to the hihat and should form composite rhythms that equal 4/4 time. The bass drum stems should be down. In #4 the 16th notes at the end of the bar (toms&snare) should be beamed in groups of 4 (the beat). Alternately you could beam the snare and bass together with stems down.

The way it is now the snare drum line is independent but incomplete.

Johnny K

Reaction score
My 2 Cents...Very strange. Is this what the cool kids are playing these days? I'm assuming by the double vertical bar this is 4/4 or Standard Time. The strange thing going on on beat 3 is very weird. I have a feeling that 1/16 note snare hit between the kick/ride 1/8 notes is supposed to be a ghost note and whoever wrote this didn't intent it to be a triplet. Where beat 4 is on the 2nd line seems to be a give away that it is not supposed to be triplet even thought is notated that way. Take some white-out to the bar connecting the Ah of 3 and 4 on lines 2 & 3. Also. in all 3 lines the last 1/2 beat on line 2 & 3 and all of beat 4 in line 4 is written on the ride cymbal line. Drop them half a line for hi toms. Put the metronome on 40bpm and try to count it.

rare british boy names

Last edited:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
My 2 Cents...Very strange. Is this what the cool kids are playing these days? I'm assuming by the double vertical bar this is 4/4 or Standard Time. The strange thing going on on beat 3 is very weird. I have a feeling that 1/16 note snare hit between the kick/ride 1/8 notes is supposed to be a ghost note and whoever wrote this didn't intent it to be a triplet. Where beat 4 is on the 2nd line seems to be a give away that it is not supposed to be triplet even thought is notated that way. Take some white-out to the bar connecting the Ah of 3 and 4 on lines 2 & 3. Also. in all 3 lines the last 1/2 beat on line 2 & 3 and all of beat 4 in line 4 is written on the ride cymbal line. Drop them half a line for hi toms. Put the metronome on 40bpm and try to count it.

rare british boy names
The double verticle bar at the beginning of each line is the Percussion Cleff Sign.

You know the Treble Clef, and Bass Clef signs as they are the two common ones. There is also the Alto Clef and Tenor Clef signs, but unless you also play viola, cello and trombone, don't worry about them.
Percussion clef is used for Non Pitched percussion (snare, bass drum, drumset) Mallets use the treble clef (unless you are playing bass marimba) and Timpani uses Bass Clef.

Johnny K

Reaction score
If the last one isn't a triplet, there's an extra 16th note somewhere.
I think the last one is missing a 1/16 note or a dotted 1/8 on the first beat. Beats 3 & 4 add up. Beats 1 & 2, not so much. I sees 1/8, 1/4 (triplet) and 1/16.

Latest posts