How to plug/fill holes in wrap without cutting a filler piece?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am restoring a badly neglected vintage Jazz Fest. I got some WMP wrap off a vintage MIJ snare that will work for what I need. The lug holes match up pretty close once I center the badge hole. However, the placement of the MIJ throw and butt do not match up with the Jazz Fest. I will have 4 small holes (1/4") on the throw side, and 2 on the butt side. I want to fill these. Since it's an aged WMP and I don't really have any to match (well, I have some that is close, what do you recommend doing:

1) I can try to patch these holes with other aged WMP wrap I have. I don't know how to cut the holes though, or cut the inserts. Ideally, I could just use a hole punch and maybe I can to cut the inserts from the donor wrap, but I won't be able to enlarge the holes already on the wrap that will go on the snare.
Any ideas?

2) What I was leaning on doing was to just put the MIJ wrap on the snare, lining up the badge & lug holes as best I can (I can enlarge them if needed). For the remaining holes, I would use wood filler to plug the holes, then smooth them out. Then I would try to find beige and/or pearl nail polish, then tape off the wrap exposing just the filler, and paint over them. An alternative method (thanks to a post by Mark Cooper) would be to dissolve a small piece of donor WMP in acetone (nail polish) which melts it into a goopy, paint-like substance, and use that to paint over the filler....I tried and this could totally work, too.

But I am open to any suggestions.....thank you!

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Take a piece from under a lug? Or the meltdown goop sounds like the ticket.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Larry, didnt' think about taking from under the lug...duh! However, I will still have to figure out how to cut it out and reinsert in the proper place - sounds like too much work. I think I will try the fill & paint method first..........

BTW, I'll be in town late Tues for stuff all day Wed. I may be free Wed p.m. and will pick up that flat kit from GC - will hit you up if I am around....later.....