How to protect Gretsch paper label during re-spray of inside of shell

larrydrums

Reaction score
Greetings - long time member and first post in a while.... anyway I am putting together a small kit based on Gretsch singles... older shells I've had laying around, some for a very long time. The one in question is a 14x10 tom, from the 70s, with an original, in-tact orange label inside. I just filled a bunch of extra holes and need to finish sanding shell inside and out, and then I plan to spray the inside of the shell. Looking for ideas on how to best protect this paper badge during the painting operation. I am concerned that blue painters tape will tear the label upon removal. I am thinking of making a sort of 'band aid' - with a part covering the label that is not adhesive, held on to the shell with a very thin strip of tape along the edges. But before I do that, I thought I'd ask here to see how others have dealt with this. Thanks so much ....

IMG_9472.jpeg

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The low tack blue painters tape might be safe to put directly on the label but I wouldn't really recommend it in case it isn't. I would cut a piece of a note card the same size as the sticker and use the regular blue painters tape and tape it down with an 1/8" to a 1/4" outside of the card directly on the shell. You will end up with a stripe of original paint around the sticker but there will be no possibility of damaging the sticker. If you do use the low tack blue tape directly on the sticker, put it on, paint it immediately and then pull the tape off as soon as you can. Painters tape adheres more the longer it is applied.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can do it using upside down tape (or paper) in a two step process.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
From various drums I've looked at where the aluminum paint is slopped onto the edges I don't think they spray the interiors. Rather I think they wipe it on like you would do with stain. One advantage of that is it would be relatively easy to avoid the label (although at the factory obviously the label was applied after the paint).

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
If I were actually going to attempt something like this because a label had importance, I would devise a hair-brained scheme. Maybe fashioning a rectangle from something pliable and just slightly larger than the label, and then affixing whatever that is to a stick slightly larger than the ID of the shell to use its bend pressure to hold it in place while I sprayed the label portion of the shell.

larrydrums

Reaction score
The low tack blue painters tape might be safe to put directly on the label but I wouldn't really recommend it in case it isn't. I would cut a piece of a note card the same size as the sticker and use the regular blue painters tape and tape it down with an 1/8" to a 1/4" outside of the card directly on the shell. You will end up with a stripe of original paint around the sticker but there will be no possibility of damaging the sticker. If you do use the low tack blue tape directly on the sticker, put it on, paint it immediately and then pull the tape off as soon as you can. Painters tape adheres more the longer it is applied.
Thanks ... will give this a go.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I recoated an interior of an old round badge, I wiped the paint on with a paper towel. With a bit of a careful hand, you can wipe pretty much right up to the label without touching it. You really only need to put on one coat of rustoleum silver paint. It will leave the grain visible and give it that imperfect, kind of darker hue of silver that the old drums have.