How to remove vintage tom post bracket?

Sun shy

Reaction score
Trying to remove this post bracket since the hardware is vibrating. However, since the drum was painted on the inside, paint dried on the bolt and the top side is rounded and doesn't have a phillips or flathead groove to hold it in place. I was able to get on off because I was able to get unscrew it just enough to get a grip on it with some pliers. But the other three are too tight. Any ideas? Paint thinner? I want to get the right tool for the right job.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
(all from the inside) Put vice grips on "threads". Unscrew nut with a wrench.

use lot of care with the vice grips on the threads Or, (could put two additional nuts on thread . lock them; Then remove attaching nut)

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
Don't use pliers. A simple box wrench will do. Push on the outside of the lag bolt with your fingers and loosen the nut with the wrench.

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the screws have square shoulders on them to keep them from turning, I would just try to tighten them up, they should snap right off, unless your trying to save them

Sun shy

Reaction score
(all from the inside) Put vice grips on "threads". Unscrew nut with a wrench.

use lot of care with the vice grips on the threads Or, (could put two additional nuts on thread . lock them; Then remove attaching nut)
How do I "lock them?"

Sun shy

Reaction score
the screws have square shoulders on them to keep them from turning, I would just try to tighten them up, they should snap right off, unless your trying to save them
Yes, this is my last resort as it's a vintage kit and, though I'll be replacing the bolts, I'd like to keep original hardware in case I sell it in the future.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
How do I "lock them?"
Add two -additional- nuts to the stem (the threads) (You'll then have a total of 3 on the threads. You lock (the two added nuts) by turning one towards the other. Then two wrenches ; one on lock pair; and one on the original nut.

This necessitates you having.. spare nuts on hand..
just run them up the threads; then lock them-against each other; use that as your leverage to remove the original nut

Last edited:

Sun shy

Reaction score
Oh, I see, like a high hat clutch :angel8: I was able to get them all off using the vice grips as suggested. Worked enough to get a little grip on the top and (with the help of the wife), we got them all off. I knew she was good for something! (Don't tell her I said that :angel1:)

Reactions: JDA

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the problem here. Ratchet and socket. Done.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Put some paint remover on the threads. let dry and clean with a wire brush. Should also clean up the threads that way and help getting the nuts off the screws.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cut the nuts off with a Dremel tool and replace the screws with new.

Last edited: