How to take apart a Ludwig P85 to straighten a bent tension adjustment rod/knob?

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an acrolite that is in like new condition other than the throw-off tension rod/knob is bent to the point the snare wires alternate between getting looser and tighter as the knob is turned in the same direction.

I tried removing the adjustment rod yesterday so I could try to straighten it out with it not still being attached to the rest of the throw-off so as not to take the chance of bending anything else on the throw-off.

The problem I ran into is I was not able to take the tension rod apart to separate it from the throw off. I thought maybe the knob would unscrew off so the rod could be slipped out from the drilled bead thing but the rod/knob wouldn't come apart and I didn't want to get too crazy with pliers (with something soft in the jaws to minimize scratching) to take the chance of breaking the knob or messing up the threads.

Is there a pretty simple way to take apart the actual tension adjustment rod apart to get it off of the throw-off so I can bend the rod back straight?

Thanks

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pull the strainer off the drum. On the back side of the "bead thing" there is an E clip. Remove that and you can remove the bead thing from the throw off. You will need to unscrew the bottom part of the strainer that the snare strings attach too if you haven't already. You do not want to try to remove the knob. Sounds like you are not very equipped tool wise so just leave it on and hold the bead thing and turn the knob to find which direction the threaded part is bent.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pull the strainer off the drum. On the back side of the "bead thing" there is an E clip. Remove that and you can remove the bead thing from the throw off. You will need to unscrew the bottom part of the strainer that the snare strings attach too if you haven't already. You do not want to try to remove the knob. Sounds like you are not very equipped tool wise so just leave it on and hold the bead thing and turn the knob to find which direction the threaded part is bent.
Thanks! I'll remove the throw-off.

I had removed the bottom part of the strainer as you mentioned.