How to transport a riveted cymbal?

Sprice

Reaction score
I've always had split rivets in cymbals that I could take out when putting them in my bag but now I have one with rivets I can't remove. I was curious if anyone had any hacks on transporting them without scratching anything else up.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
scissor cut a center hole in small kitchen bath towels;

grab unused hi hat clutch

big cym (rightside up) goes down first on upside down (pointing up) spare hi hat clutch )
Towel.
then next biggest,
another towel.
Repeat.
till the end (hi hat top or splash even) . Felt and wingnut your clutch. Snug not tight.

Pick all 6 or 7 (or 5 or 4) up at once and lower into cymbal bag
(bag already loaded with bottom towel extra padding)

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe press them into a small block of styrofoam + tape?
If it's only few rivets, something like that might be the ticket. I have been wondering about this as well, not only for transporting, but for storing as well. Some kind of cap for the rivet bottom, maybe a kind of putty??

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the riveted cymbal in and the others on top. This way the rivet round parts nest into the bottom of the cymbal above it and won't scratch it.

T-Dub

Reaction score
I sandwich the riveted cymbal between 2 old drum heads with the collar cut off. You can also put the riveted cymbal in last so only one side needs coverage.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sandwich the riveted cymbal between 2 old drum heads with the collar cut off. You can also put the riveted cymbal in last so only one side needs coverage.
Some cymbal bags have fancy dividers, but this is a great no-cost idea. Now, I have few old 22" bd heads around, they're all still in use...

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an Ahead Armor cymbal bag with fleece dividers. I put my cymbals in the bag in order of biggest to smallest... with the exception of my 20" ride that has rivets. I put that one in last (on top), and the rivets hang over the edge of the smaller cymbals immediately beneath them... plus the fleece dividers are in between the rivets and the next cymbal too. Transported them this way many times and never a scratch.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I just put a piece of painters tape over the top and bottom. Haven’t had any issues with it scratching the other cymbals yet