header.nohb.html

How to use a cymbal THIS dry?

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the sound of the driest cymbal featured in the following comparison but in what other musical contexts might it be used, (apart from unaccompanied drum kit)?

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I look at dryness as natural compression. And drums are compressed when recorded and mixed all the time. So think of what you want the music to sound like. If you want a distinct ping and not a lot of wash, you can do it electronically or have a cymbal that sounds that way already. And if it's a live gig with no PA, and you want that space left between pings, you can either use a dry cymbal or put a lot of tape on.

The other reason I like drier cymbals is I like less noise for practicing as the noise has taken its toll on my hearing.

BTW, I have one of those 21's that sounds exactly like the 2nd driest he played and use it for everything. I love it. As for his driest one? I also have a 22 LSR that's way drier. A zildjian Earth ride is even drier still. Maybe too much so for me.

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I look at dryness as natural compression. And drums are compressed when recorded and mixed all the time. So think of what you want the music to sound like. If you want a distinct ping and not a lot of wash, you can do it electronically or have a cymbal that sounds that way already. And if it's a live gig with no PA, and you want that space left between pings, you can either use a dry cymbal or put a lot of tape on.

The other reason I like drier cymbals is I like less noise for practicing as the noise has taken its toll on my hearing.

BTW, I have one of those 21's that sounds exactly like the 2nd driest he played and use it for everything. I love it. As for his driest one? I also have a 22 LSR that's way drier. A zildjian Earth ride is even drier still. Maybe too much so for me.
I also have the same model as the second driest he played but mine is much drier and deader, in a bad way. It has 3 rivets to help compensate but haven't got it to fit in with my other cymbals so far. Would love to have one like his.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Perfect for backing a double bassist solo, or other acoustic or very sparse backing vocal arrangements.