How to value 1982 Tama kit

rddmm2

Reaction score
New member here.
I have a 7 pce Tama kit in my basement and thinking of selling. Ser # 82-6595. I'm a garage band guitar player.
I'm up in Toronto Canada. My son used it when touring a few years back. I tried kijiji up here but most just wanted parts here and there. I would like to find it a good home.
Sorry to hijack as a new member trying to sell something. My understanding is that its quasi vintage and you guys are officionados and may be interested or have some info.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's how you value it.
"Tell me when to stop"
300?
500?
want me to go on?
Tell me when to stop.

rddmm2

Reaction score
Here's how you value it.
"Tell me when to stop"
300?
500?
want me to go on?
Tell me when to stop.
Ok ok, it’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
800.00 seems to be ball park.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Next. Head Diameter and shell depth of each drum.
You're on your way! : ))

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Better pictures.
Did I mention better pictures?
You might want to get better pictures.
Take pictures of each drum, condition notes, etc.
Complete inventory of what is being sold ... diameter and depth, stands, cymbals, snares, etc etc etc.
Just two more check boxes for you.
Think of it like this ... when you are purchasing a car, you would expect to know prior to pricing if the car includes a full size spare, an alarm system, and perhaps a sunroof.
Itemize what is being sold.

rddmm2

Reaction score
Better pictures.
Complete inventory of what is being sold ... diameter and depth, stands, cymbals, snares, etc etc etc.
Just two more check boxes for you.
Think of it like this ... when you are purchasing a car, you would expect to know prior to pricing if the car includes a full size spare, an alarm system, and perhaps a sunroof.
Itemize what is being sold.
Cheers.
I’ll get better pics of each piece and itemize and list in your classified to see if anyone interested. However, I can’t really set it up proper - you’ll know right away i’m Not a drummer.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You don't have to set it up.
Just make sure you have detailed pics of each drum and the hardware and cymbals and whatever else comes with the kit.
Make sure you highlight any issues with the kit ... scratches, rust, missing hardware, bearing edge dings, etc etc.
That is a very nice Tama kit from an outstanding window of manufacture. It's a Birch drum set and looks to have a mix of standard and power toms.
Do your due diligence by measuring each drums diameter and depth as that is very important to us drummers ... well, most of us anyway.
If the cymbals are also being sold, you might want to sell those separately from the kit.
Depending on the cymbals ... they can fetch quite a bit more money on their own.
Also, you appear to have quite a bit of hardware.
You may want to sell that separately, too.
And if you have any snare drums ... those are usually sold apart from the kit ... though you don't have to. It does usually bring a bit more money if you do.
Hope all this helps.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One rack tom appears to be standard - maybe 12x8 or 13x9? The other rack toms look to be power toms which are not as popular today. Could be 13x12,14x13,15x14 power toms. $650-$800 is a fair number for the drums. Is there a snare drum in there? Metal or wood? Superstars in power sizes are somewhat slow sellers despite the drums being of top quality and very collectible. Shells are 6 ply - 9 mm birch. There are buyers for power kits so don't give up hope. Heavy metal and other aggressive music genres fit these kits well.

Last edited:

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like a 22,10,12,13,14,16 xtras Cherry Wood Superstar kit to me.

Plus a mystery snare.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to have a 20" gong drum in the mix? :)

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
Like Tama CW said. Very well made, nice drums, but those power tom sizes are a HARD sell, at even low prices I've seen those kits take forever to move. Niche market. If they were standard sizes (toms), it would sell much faster, and for a higher price.

Like others have also said on here, do some Google searching, see what comparable kits have RECENTLY sold for (the market fluctuates). I repeat-sold for, not what people listed for.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama Superstar drums from this time period were well made! Six ply birch shells, about 3/8" thick. The drums in question are the beautiful Cherry Wine. The interior is most likely the same color! As noted above, power-size toms are a tough sell, but there are enough drums to make a nice kit. $800 seems like a fair price for everything, but, as stated by others, good pictures and size measurements are required.

-Mark

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
What snare drum. What are the sizes? Diameter of shells, and depth of shells in inches. Don't measure the hoops in the sizes. The shells themselves outside to outside. Nice looking set, cymbals? Good luck.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a mint 4 pc. set of red Granstar 2's in the power tom sizes (12x11, 13x12, 16x16, 22x16). It took me 8 months to finally sell them. I had lots of "interest" in them....even as far away as Iceland. Ended up getting $550 locally for the 4 pieces. And that isn't a lot when you consider that beat up Granstars seem to bring $300-$400 for 4 pc. Superstar power toms don't get much more love than Granstar power toms.

2 months ago I saw a very nice/collector grade 6 pc Superstar kit in white lacquer listed on my local CL for $1250 (12,13,16,18,22 and 14x6.5 Mastercraft metal snare). Power rack toms. I felt $1000 was fair value as the 18" and mint snare were probably worth around $500 by themselves. And 1985/86 white/black Superstar kits are fairly scarce. Out of the blue the seller dropped it to $750. I couldn't believe there was no in between price drop......and someone beat me by a few hours.

Last edited:

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just for reference, the last Superstar set I sold a couple of years ago went for $600 for a 22-16-13-12 shell pack, and took a couple of months to sell at that price. I was asking $650 and discounted them a little for a serious buyer. Those were a much more rare color, Aqua, and with standard sized toms.

Your set, in a much more common color and with power toms, cannot be worth more than that, despite having a couple more drums. They are great drums but the market is not there for them to bring top dollar.

Note that I am not counting the hardware and cymbals - they are worth a bit extra if sold separately.

Latest posts