How would you have handled this?

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
Hey dudes, I haven’t posted in a while but just wanted to share my recent experience with a certain cymbal smith who is becoming pretty prominent as of late.
I got charged a certain price for shipping that I thought was pricey. So I looked around on the shipper’s website and found a different amount for shipping. When I asked about what the extra money was for, the guy got seemingly defensive and upset.
I tried to be polite when responding, but in hindsight feel as if maybe I should’ve not accepted it as it was. Would you guys have responded differently? What would you have said?

Attachments

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty extreme if you ask me. It doesn't matter if this is the local 7-11 manager or the most sought after Cymbalsmith on the planet. That type of customer service interaction is uncalled for. I'd vote w my wallet next time and pick somebody else. Your question wasn't phrased rudely nor was it out of line. The individual also seems to have enough command of the English language that I wouldn't buy any garbage about language barrier or " the subtleties" either.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Sounds like that may just be his conversational style? Maybe he had a fee drinks in him too? He did take time out to write those long notes, acknowledging your concerns, even explaining things.
I hope you wind up happy to have dealt with him and receive a great cymbal like the ones we've heard here.
Don't worry too much, you two are still communicating.

just my thoughts on it.

Let's reserve judgement till the transaction is complete with your cymbal on the stand.

Pibroch

Reaction score
If you don't plan to deal with him again why not threaten to post all over the drumming forums about his dishonest and extremely rude behaviour until he reimburses you with the difference in shipping charges. If that fails to move him then send him screen shots of your posts after you've started doing (some more of) this, including a link to this thread. Tell him you'll remove them when he reimburses you by a deadline, and keep posting more if he doesn't. However judging by your last nice comment to him you plan to do more business with him in the future. If so forget about this episode and get him to confirm in writing his exact shipping and handling charges next time.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the guy would have used that language with me, I would have told him to stick his cymbal sideways up his....well no need to finish that. That would have lit me up. My old NY attitude would have jumped all over this dude. You were a better man than me for keeping your cool.

Honestly, I wouldn't have expected that language from a Dane, but I guess the whole world has gone crude and rude.

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey dudes, I haven’t posted in a while but just wanted to share my recent experience with a certain cymbal smith who is becoming pretty prominent as of late.
I got charged a certain price for shipping that I thought was pricey. So I looked around on the shipper’s website and found a different amount for shipping. When I asked about what the extra money was for, the guy got seemingly defensive and upset.
I tried to be polite when responding, but in hindsight feel as if maybe I should’ve not accepted it as it was. Would you guys have responded differently? What would you have said?

Reading his response I get the feeling that he was little bit irritated, but your question should not have triggered that, you asked politely.
I know that he has been under stress lately, trying to manage his pretty fast growing business just by him self, and like he said he responded you on his holiday.

That one part of his answer was uncalled for, but I honestly think that he thought of it as a joke. Bad call on his part, but I would give him pass on that. Maybe I personally would have answered him that I didn't find that very amusing, and settled it right away to clear the air.

What was the issue exactly with the shipping costs? Did you order more than one cymbal? I know that shipping costs add up quickly what the parcel gets heavy.
In my cases the shipping has been bit more expensive (that stated on his website) when I have been ordering 2 or more cymbals from him.
He has not been sending 2 or 3 cymbals for the same price as he would send 1 cymbal.
Maybe he should be more clear about this on his website.

Edit: hope you're happy with the cymbals. I know I'm with mine. More than happy actually.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I'm not sure which is more considerate, calling you a lazy motherfukker or offering you 10% off to travel 5000 miles to pick it up.

He's a charmer and in need of a lot more vacation time, that's for sure.

FunchCymbals

Reaction score
I’m really sorry how our correspondence ended and my communication.
I realize how important it is to have transparency on the shipping fees and clarify what you are paying for. I will add detailed information on the webshop after the holiday.
Lasse Funch - Funch Cymbals

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m really sorry how our correspondence ended and my communication.
I realize how important it is to have transparency on the shipping fees and clarify what you are paying for. I will add detailed information on the webshop after the holiday.
Lasse Funch - Funch Cymbals
Um, I think the least of your concern should be the transparency of the shipping cost and focus a little more on how you treat a paying customer. No matter how bad of a day you might be having, you NEVER take it out on a customer. Yes he just was sitting on his computer while you were making and shipping his cymbals but guess what? He's the one paying so you can make a living! Your not doing him a favor! If it was me that was dealing with you, rest assured that I would be requesting a FULL refund and going elsewhere for cymbals. Just my humble opinion!
Good luck!

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Given the defensiveness and rudeness over such a small question, I'd be wondering what would happen if there were a real dispute, like in the off chance a defect, or the wrong cymbal shipped. Some anger management issues?

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He did insert the "winking face" emoji which does generally denote an inside joke or sarcasm. It was in poor taste but he could have just been being way over the top on purpose. Now, as for the extra $60 in shipping with no tangible explanation or transparency upfront, that's definitely a problem.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
exactly. the mf thing is a joke. universally accepted emoji. I didn't get the feeling he justified the extra shipping, but maybe I should re-read.

The fact that he showed up here to apologize speaks volumes to me. It wouldn't deter me from ordering in the least. Altho it sound like some of you guys are ready to crucify him..
I think it's a joke when you say it to a friend...maybe. But a customer, or a person you don't know, then no, it's not cool at all IMHO.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it's a joke when you say it to a friend...maybe. But a customer, or a person you don't know, then no, it's not cool at all IMHO.
I agree, it's not cool to say it to a customer, especially when dealing internationally to different cultures.
But it's also worth mentioning that Danes (and actually Dutch too) have sometimes quite rough way of communicating, swearing is not seen nearly as impolite as for example in it's neighbor country Sweden, where I live.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
different strokes right ? It bothers you, and a lot of people probably. But it wouldn't bother me. People on this forum post a lot more annoying stuff to me than that without even saying mama fletcher

At this point I suppose he either accepst his apology and resets things and tries to move forward positively or not. What else can say that you don't know already :) ? He does make nice cymbals tho
I'm with you, it's time to move on. As you said, your either ok with it or not. Maybe it's one of those "teachable moments"?

And yes, he does make a nice cymbal! :)

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's not cool to say it to a customer, especially when dealing internationally to different cultures.
But it's also worth mentioning that Danes (and actually Dutch too) have sometimes quite rough way of communicating, swearing is not seen nearly as impolite as for example in it's neighbor country Sweden, where I live.
Honestly, I wouldn't have ever thought that of the Danes. Live and learn!:wacko:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Good grief.

Funch that guy right in the neck !

I'd be canceling any orders and demanding an immediate refund.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He's quite young, that's the only way I can begin to wrap my head around it. He may be the type that has to learn things the hard way. It's almost as if he thinks he's the only person working hard in this world. Another case of somebody needing some humble pie.
Maybe he's been huffing his own fumes? Fairly fast acclaim can do things to the ego. I really liked what I've heard from his pies, hopefully he'll learn and grow :)

Last edited: