How would you have handled this?

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
exactly. the mf thing is a joke. universally accepted emoji. I didn't get the feeling he justified the extra shipping, but maybe I should re-read.

The fact that he showed up here to apologize speaks volumes to me. It wouldn't deter me from ordering in the least. Altho it sound like some of you guys are ready to crucify him..
It’s not just the “lazy mf” part but the condescending attitude and the $60 extra added for handling. It’s the trifecta of being a prick.

jb111

Reaction score
Wow. I actually sent him an email via his website last week inquiring about a purchase. Didn't hear anything back. I assume it's because his work is gaining serious traction and he's experiencing real growing pains with his business. Understandable. But his tone in your exchange...no thanks. You were way more polite in your response than many would have been. Good of him to register here and apologize, I'll give him that. But damn.

From the videos I've seen, he seems like a hell of a player, and it looks like he's making some nice cymbals. But at this point there are a lot of nice cymbals out there (and millions of mediocre ones, yes). I don't assume he'll continue with the same attitude you experienced, but either way, I've definitely lost interest in Funch for now.

deegeebee

Reaction score
...I've definitely lost interest in Funch for now.
Yikes! Same here. Have been smitten with the videos posted here over the last few months, but considering the barrier that already exists to getting gear shipped from Europe to North Amearica, any whiff of an A. hole is enough to scare me off for a good long while.

Love your cymbals. Learn how to do business.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd cancel the order....... aside from the language, I'd have more respect for him if he charged for labor and didn't disguise it as shipping or handling.....

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
Interesting replies here! Thanks for all the responses so far, and I`m surprised that Funch came and responded.
I ordered this 20 inch ride on the basis of his stellar reputation and the sound file that he uploaded of it. Yes, the cymbal sounded amazing, but it made me think..Does the amazing sound and reputation of his brand allow for this type of communication?
I responded politely because, well here in Japan, if you`re not polite, especially to customers or people you don`t know, you probably wouldn`t get much if any business. It`s just what I`m used to. TBH, I don`t know if I`ll order again. This transaction (I`ve already paid and the cymbal is almost here) is finished and I`m not going to bother trying to get any money back from him. I just hope that he learns that if he wants foreign customers, he may need to improve in communications.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The guy calls you an MF and thinks that's the way he can speak to customers or even prospective customers? Whether he's young, a Dane or suffering from a lack of sleep...man there is no excuse for that. His cymbals are impressive...but drummers don't NEED his cymbals to function. No way I'd send him my money and you'd be doing him (and most likely those around him) a favor by letting him know why.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I've been very tempted to buy a cymbal from Funch but your experience gives me second thoughts.

On the flip side, I totally appreciate Funch posting here, and his emails did get nicer after the mf one. Also, he is apparently just one guy making cymbals, not the CEO of a company run by MBAs with a customer service department outsourced to a call center in India. I gather he was having a bad day, feeling overwhelmed, and it's almost endearing that he speaks his vulgar mind. He's just a regular guy.

Though there remains the problem (yes problem) of overcharging for shipping. Being a regular guy and an independent craftsman doesn't entitle him pad shipping fees just because he's in a bad mood and weary of dealing with emails.

So I can't render a firm verdict either way. It's helpful though to have a heads up that if I buy there could be problems, as well as to understand that if there are problems I should probably begin my complaint with, "Look, mf." I can deal with a regular guy and dispense with phony business politeness, just wouldn't have guessed that's what may be in store when buying from Funch.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
Obviously Lasse Funch is a proficient English speaker, but my mind went directly to language/cultural differences as I read the response.

I’d probably be disappointed receiving a response like that; from all the Funch cymbals I’ve heard, at least you’ve got an excellent cymbal coming your way.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's not cool to say it to a customer, especially when dealing internationally to different cultures.
But it's also worth mentioning that Danes (and actually Dutch too) have sometimes quite rough way of communicating, swearing is not seen nearly as impolite as for example in it's neighbor country Sweden, where I live.
But we as Dutchies are only rough in real life and usually only to people we know.

No serious business will talk like that, not even as a joke.

But it could be his age indeed, or that he really was pissed already and this was a steam off moment. A learning moment for him.

He did explained the costs.

Last edited:

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Not sure how I would have handled that kind of language/attitude but, yeah, no matter the reason (overworked, tired, cultural differences), unless you have talked to someone before and got a sense of what is OK to write, then save some of those words/that attitude for later. But, I have to admit, sometimes it adds to a purchase to encounter some "character" but here it feels a bit out of hand.

I have met him twice, been at his workshop, bought from him. Came off as a nice guy - friendly, passionate, curious, good player, a young Dane with some attitude, with a fast growing business. But, he deals with customers on a daily basis (I assume) and this is as said above a learning moment. I get it: customers can sometimes drive you crazy with questions/demands/beliefs and it is an art in itself to stay professional in this.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The style wasn’t ok even with a smiley. Which doesn’t belong in a business-related message either.

Re: cost of work vs. shipping fee:
I had this issue with another seller (who seems to have moved onto another business). The problem is indeed there is work involved: coming up with a box, packing up the cymbal, taking it to the post office. Some consider this a normal part of the work involved ( hence paid for with the price of the item) , others don‘t. I would say, this needs to be made transparent beforehand- and also needs to be a separate item on the invoice, “packing service“ or the like.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Wow guys. If I was him, I would probably quit offering shipping period. Nobody is getting rich handcrafting any type of instruments, they're just working and trying to get by.
You live in Japan, I wonder if you have had any dealings with master crafters there. The ones I have seen are quite confident in their skills and demand to be treated as masters and not as someone who works for you, because they don't and would do what they do regardless.
I don't particularly enjoy being spoken to that way either. So, condolences on that.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow guys. If I was him, I would probably quit offering shipping period. Nobody is getting rich handcrafting any type of instruments, they're just working and trying to get by.
You live in Japan, I wonder if you have had any dealings with master crafters there. The ones I have seen are quite confident in their skills and demand to be treated as masters and not as someone who works for you, because they don't and would do what they do regardless.
I don't particularly enjoy being spoken to that way either. So, condolences on that.
If he can't ship he's not going to sell too many cymbals. Is this just a hobby that he does just for himself or is it a business where he serves a customer?

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
If you look at the fourth pic I posted, he does say that he could get by selling locally.

No I haven't really dealt with any master crafters here in Japan. If I did, knowing the people and country, there would be less ego involved.

The cymbal looks to be arriving today. I'll post pics of the $60 packing job later.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want bad mojo in a deal like that. I wouldn’t like looking at my cymbal knowing the “craftsman” was cocky as hell and called me a mother f*cker. Also, his points don’t make sense.

There is a cost of packing material and a cost for insured shipping. And sure, there’s a cost of labor, but it takes me 6 minutes to box up a cymbal, 3 minutes to make a label, and maybe 6 to drive to the shipping service. It also takes 15 minutes to organize a pick up and do a hand off out the front door. So what the hell?