How would you have handled this?

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now that he's a member here, has everyone flooded his inbox with feedback ? That would be a good way to handle it. Start by saying " I don't accept your apology" and then tell him why. I mean, you gotta put a guy in his place, right?
I don't think anyone here is trying to put anyone "in his place". The OP asked our opinion, and mine is that I'd be wary of conducting an expensive international transaction with someone who flies off the handle at such a minor (and reasonable) question.

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
jaymandude, what are you constructively contributing to the discussion at this point?

You stated this kind of customer service wouldn't bother you. Ok, totally fair.

In all seriousness, would you like this thread closed? Your recent comments make it seem that you`re bothered by others' opinions. This is a forum after all, it's still ok for others to share their opinions, right?

I don't get the impression anyone wants to "crucify" Funch. On the contrary, I see many torn about the subject. They wouldn't appreciate that type of customer service, but they acknowledge Funch hand crafts damn good cymbals.

There are a few who clearly wouldn't deal with him after reading our exchange, I'll grant you that. It is their hard earned money, don't they still get to decide who to give it?

Funch's way of rectifying the situation is to be transparent on his website moving forward. I'm certain most on this forum will accept that and deal with him regardless. More power to them. His business will be fine.

jaymandude

Reaction score
jaymandude, what are you constructively contributing to the discussion at this point?

You stated this kind of customer service wouldn't bother you. Ok, totally fair.

In all seriousness, would you like this thread closed? Your recent comments make it seem that you`re bothered by others' opinions. This is a forum after all, it's still ok for others to share their opinions, right?

I don't get the impression anyone wants to "crucify" Funch. On the contrary, I see many torn about the subject. They wouldn't appreciate that type of customer service, but they acknowledge Funch hand crafts damn good cymbals.

There are a few who clearly wouldn't deal with him after reading our exchange, I'll grant you that. It is their hard earned money, don't they still get to decide who to give it?

Funch's way of rectifying the situation is to be transparent on his website moving forward. I'm certain most on this forum will accept that and deal with him regardless. More power to them. His business will be fine.
I should re-read the thread to see who actually acknowledged his apology. I think that's my main frustration.

But none the less. I apologize for my vitriol. Enjoy the cymbal, I've been on the fence with an order for a while.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am happy to accept his apology. It seemed very sincere and appropriate.
That doesn't mean I'm ready to send him money.

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
jaymandude, I appreciate your clarification and apology.

When the cymbal comes in, I'll let everyone know. If you like the sound, go and buy one from Funch. If he really meant what he said in his apology, there is no reason to believe he won't give you great customer service moving forward.

My final word is this, we are all musicians. It may seem like we are a large community, but statistically we represent a small percent of the population. The best of us are far and few. Not only do I want to, but we NEED to support people like Funch. Believe me, I understand it's hard for craftsmen, small businesses, musicians, drummers to make a living doing what we love.

So why not treat each other with decency? That's all I'm asking. It shouldn't matter what culture we come from because it's the only way we are going to survive and hopefully thrive as a community. Remember, music IS the universal language. I really do believe this.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your thoughts and the discussion.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t like looking at my cymbal knowing the “craftsman” was cocky as hell and called me a mother f*cker.
This point resonates with me and may go to the emotional crux of it for others.

Cymbals may be the most personal choice many drummers make. Yeah, if they play cymbals from a major manufacturer, they're only consumers. But at least this is neutral. When you buy from a smith, you frankly want to feel some kind of personal three-way bond. If over the course of a very brief interaction with the smith, he called you a lazy ass mf, you couldn't help always associating that with the cymbal.

I do know that if I were the buyer I would never send a smith who treated me this way a sound clip of the cymbal, or otherwise have anything to do with him. But I don't think I'd want the cymbal either. The smith's attitude ruined the cymbal.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
Wow guys. If I was him, I would probably quit offering shipping period. Nobody is getting rich handcrafting any type of instruments, they're just working and trying to get by.
You live in Japan, I wonder if you have had any dealings with master crafters there. The ones I have seen are quite confident in their skills and demand to be treated as masters and not as someone who works for you, because they don't and would do what they do regardless.
I don't particularly enjoy being spoken to that way either. So, condolences on that.
You’ve changed my view on this situation. There is an American expectation of deference to the customer that comes to mind as I reread OP’s conversation and the reactions in this thread. We view patronizing a business as individual economic responsibility and a tacit expression of personal values.

If you’re a master craftsman, it’s impossible to quantify the value of the time and effort put into that skill set. It brings some context to Lasse’s reaction if he (or any other skilled craftsmen for that matter) perceived a customer as hemming and hawing over what is a small charge in the grand scheme of the effort put into making and sending off the cymbal. Maybe we should be so lucky that he has decided the share his talents with the world rather than expect him abide by a code of conduct for our $$$.

***Just some food for thought and not a criticism of any parties involved.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You’ve changed my view on this situation. There is an American expectation of deference to the customer that comes to mind as I reread OP’s conversation and the reactions in this thread. We view patronizing a business as individual economic responsibility and a tacit expression of personal values.

If you’re a master craftsman, it’s impossible to quantify the value of the time and effort put into that skill set. It brings some context to Lasse’s reaction if he (or any other skilled craftsmen for that matter) perceived a customer as hemming and hawing over what is a small charge in the grand scheme of the effort put into making and sending off the cymbal. Maybe we should be so lucky that he has decided the share his talents with the world rather than expect him abide by a code of conduct for our $$$.

***Just some food for thought and not a criticism of any parties involved.
If this was a one-off problem, then Mr. Funch will be fine in the long run, but if it's an on-going issue then maybe he needs somebody to handle the business side then?

So after reading all of the thoughtful posts here, I kind of see both sides of the coin, but in the end, those two words he used really stick in my craw and he really never apologized for using them. So...I'm out on Mr. Funch.

toddbishop

Reaction score
Haha, it's fine, he just has a handling surcharge, that is not really exorbitant for a one man operation, considering the time this stuff takes-- packaging, filling out customs forms, answering people's questions about his pricing, dealing with it when the thing gets lost over kazakhstan. Did you think he was just trying to screw you by charging more than cost? He probably should not have called you a lazy m___erf___er! That's few people's idea of good customer relations, and you're not lazy. But what the hell, he's a metal worker involved in a labor of love. Chalk it up to being colorful.

rimtap

Reaction score
If I had been the cymbal maker, I would have been irritated, too. Starting the dialog with "By the way, I looked up the prices for shipping..." comes across to me as being accusatory. A customer bitching about $60 more in shipping when I could be charging more for my cymbals to begin with would rub me the wrong way, too.