Huge drum haul. Lots of rust.. octobans, pearl FG, lots of cymbals..

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’d been messaging back and forth on FB marketplace with this guy for a couple of weeks.. he listed a double bass pearl kit with a lot of extras.. sent vague pics, but I saw they were fiberglass and I saw a pearl cob “Copeland” snare.
I kept whittling him down on the price, and finally set up a meeting. When I got there, these road cases, plastic bins (full of drum accessories and mics), full octoban set, and some other junk, was sitting outside just like in the one photo.
He said it was all worthless and charged me basically for the cymbals. I got way more than the asking price just in cymbals, plus a full set of octobans.. the crazy thing was they were sitting outside with water inside them!
What a dolt!
Anyway, I’ve been working on taking everything apart, I’ve peeled the heavily rusted chrome wrap off of the two smaller concert toms.. I’ve got some parts soaking in dawn baths and evaporust baths... it’s all such a rusty mess..
I’m on the hunt for parts for the pearl snare if anyone has them. The adjustable butt end mainly.
Also in the pile were two vintage sonor phonic bass drum pedals..
There’s basically two pearl FG kits. One with 12-13-14-16-22 dbl headed toms, and another with 8-10-12-13-14-15-16-22 concert toms.
As I work my way through this stuff, I will be posting unwanted items on reverb and in the sale section here..

Attachments

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow! That poor Supra! :(

I didn’t know You were in my neck of the woods. How come I never Find stuff like this??

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow! That poor Supra! :(

I didn’t know You were in my neck of the woods. How come I never Find stuff like this??
This stuff was on marketplace, with hardly any info or pics, and an asking price of 3500.00, in Grafton (Elyria area).
If you saw it, you probably laughed and scrolled past... But I sent the guy a message saying “you want 3,500 bucks and you have no description of what’s for sale?”
He wrote back a week or two later saying “times are tough with covid, come take them for 350.00”
And then disappeared for a week or so, wouldn’t reply to messages.
I had to stay vigilant! Haha.
It turns out that they were his brothers who stored them in a barn and had passed away.. the stuff was getting wet where it was stored sadly, and he had no clue about musical gear let alone drums...
He made no mention of the octos being included, and I was very much surprised to see them when I got there!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, your diligence paid off!! I sold my old high school Supra a few years ago (after having it for 40 years!). I miss it, but I certainly wouldn’t have the time or energy to clean that thing up!!! :)

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
No, the Supra is worth more to me as a parts drum... I don’t have the time to restore it. It’d need a strip down and re chrome.. There’s a guy on the Ludwig FB page that says he wants it.
I’m concentrating my attention on the COB pearl snare

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know if I've ever seen that many Octobans in one place. You will now be the Octoban concert master.

That's drum clean-up like we've never seen. Amateurs will want to know: what will you use to do it?

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know if I've ever seen that many Octobans in one place. You will now be the Octoban concert master.

That's drum clean-up like we've never seen. Amateurs will want to know: what will you use to do it?
I have some stuff soaking in evaporust. Other parts are soaking in a vinegar/dawn bath. I’m trying to see which product does better, and it definitely seems to be the evaporust, although the stuff foams up like it has soap in it, and it SMELLS like vinegar too...
Most of the lugs so far are too far pitted to save.. the t rods and claws from one bass drum have cleaned up pretty good.. but most of the hoops seem like a lost cause, and again, the lugs are just pit-central

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
You stumbled into Aladdin's cave ... wow, your head must be spinning . Those octobans are not cheap up here . In photo #1 I see what appears to be part of a maple shell snare with Ludwig Imp. lugs , correct ?

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
You might want to look up BAKER DRUMS . Billy Baker would buy those FG Pearls maybe.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
You stumbled into Aladdin's cave ... wow, your head must be spinning . Those octobans are not cheap up here . In photo #1 I see what appears to be part of a maple shell snare with Ludwig Imp. lugs , correct ?
Yeah there’s a duco club date Tom and was a duco snare, which I already sold. They were both hashed from moisture

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
get yourself an ultrasonic cleaner, and you could save almost everything, with minimal effort

put water in the cleaner, than parts in a jar or small tub with the evaporust

put THAT jar in the water, and go... reduces the "overnight" aspect into "8 minutes"... plus it'll easily handle bolts, washers and tension rods

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
get yourself an ultrasonic cleaner, and you could save almost everything, with minimal effort

put water in the cleaner, than parts in a jar or small tub with the evaporust

put THAT jar in the water, and go... reduces the "overnight" aspect into "8 minutes"... plus it'll easily handle bolts, washers and tension rods
That would be good, but even with rust removed from these parts, there is chrome missing and pitting galore

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I’ve used CLR on heavily rusted parts with good results.
there was someone here looking for some Pearl fiberglass.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I could use some lugs and maybe some t's and claws and/or bass drum from the pearl drums. Functionality more important than condition to me.

That being said I have a pearl Snare looks just like that one. Missing snare cable for it. Amazing find! Octagons alone worth what you paid! May need some hoops if you have them. Not sure, I'm sitting on a project Dbls bass FG kit here myself.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! Nicely done!
Do the Sonor pedals have the “U” shaped bolt in toe stop?
Also, what are your plans for the octobans?

Latest posts