Humidity for Drums

Avalon747

Reaction score
Hello All:

This is my first post on this form and I'm glad to be here. I would like to know if anyone has ever heard anything regarding maintaining humidity levels for drums. The reason I ask is because I also play acoustic guitar, and with that instrument luthiers are always stressing the importance of keeping the instrument well humidified, especially when being stored in a case. Drums are made from wood also, so one would expect humidity to be an issue with drums also, but Ive never read or heard anything regarding humidity levels for drums.

Thank you

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably around 40% at room temperature, the main thing would be to avoid drastic changes
in humidity and temperature.

allspine

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard Martin keeps there factory set at 55% humidity. I have a hygrometer in my Martin case, it's always between 50 and 60%.
All my drums are at room temperature. The humidifier on the furnace is set at 45%.
If you're comfortable, your drums and instruments are also. Obviously avoid freezing, or high temps (like in a hot car.)
If your guitar does get very cold, when you bring in inside, leave it in the case until it reaches room temperature.

Latest posts