Hybrid drumset in small venue

unicorncop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has had any luck in using a hybrid-e kit live in a small venue. Acoustic kit, cymbals + pads and/or triggers. I use a bass drum trigger and bass amp only and would like to add a pad or two but found it difficult to sort out the sample sounds in the mid/high frequencies to blend with my unmic'd acoustic kit.

flurbs

Reaction score
You'll need a full-range PA speaker to reproduce the sounds - even for bass drum, a bass amp isn't adequate, you'll be surprised how much mid- and hi-frequency content that's not being reproduced, and unless you're talking about a really serious bass amp it won't have the headroom required for an uncompressed kick drum dynamic.

If the band is already humping a PA, run through that and see if it will do the job. If it craps out with the bass drum sample, then the best all round option IMO is to add whatever the matching sub would be for the existing PA speakers. if that's not applicable, or you can't or don't want to go down that route for whatever reason, then buy (for yourself) the absolute best 15" active PA speaker you can justify a budget on.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a friend in S.C. who built 3 hybrids but realized he needed a p.a.,so he got a big one with subs!
Crazy but worked great until he got into small places, then he scaled down the p.a. gear. He says it aint the same.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has had any luck in using a hybrid-e kit live in a small venue. Acoustic kit, cymbals + pads and/or triggers. I use a bass drum trigger and bass amp only and would like to add a pad or two but found it difficult to sort out the sample sounds in the mid/high frequencies to blend with my unmic'd acoustic kit.
Have you seen/heard about Yamaha EAD10 system? It’s a blend of trigger and stereo x-y microphone. You can add triggers to snare and two toms. For small venues I don’t need any other mics.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I occasionally used an Octapad mounted on my bass drum. I could switch between tom sounds, percussion sounds, cymbal sounds, etc. Bass drum, snare, hi-hats, two cymbals, and the Octapad. This was the first iteration of the pad, before they had internal sounds. I had it MIDIed to a drum machine.

unicorncop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used the pictured DW Low Pro kit with a Roland TM-1 and triggers on the bass and snare lots of times for gigs and it worked out well .
I loved the tom sounds on my old low pro, couldn't get the bass drum dialed in and had to sell it.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the EAD10 seems to be the answer here.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the tom sounds on my old low pro, couldn't get the bass drum dialed in and had to sell it.
That is why i started triggering the bass drum with the Roland TM-1

unicorncop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about the ead10 but I'm concerned with feedback when using with the full band.

I also have a TM-1 and use with a bass drum trigger on my micro kit and run it through a bass amp.