Hybrid Kit Pictures

L300burn

Reaction score
Those who apply please show off your hybrid kits! I'm thinking about going hybrid myself.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Those who apply please show off your hybrid kits! I'm thinking about going hybrid myself.
Depends what *you* mean as "hybrid". It's a horrible marketing term that appeared! You mean just using electronics and acoustic stuff at the same time? Started doing that in 1981. Every kit I play on is "hybrid" - I'm always triggering *something* :)

OK - here's one of my old kits for fun, many years before it was called "hybrid" ;)

kit.jpg

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not the clearest pic. This is what I currently use, for cover gigs:

- A Roland SPD SX
- Two Roland BT-1 bar pads (one over the kick, in the "cowbell position", and one over the floor tom)
- A Roland KD-7 kick pad, right beside my acoustic pedal
- Roland RT-10K bass drum trigger

I run samples off the SPD SX, and entire song length backing tracks. That's been interesting. I programmed the BT's in Reaper, set the exact same tempo on the SPD SX's click, and play along. BUT, you have to trigger the BT exactly on the beat, and it'll lock, no drifting, but if you're off - start over. Its rare, but third set, me slightly drunk, has had to abort, and start over.

I use the two BT-1's and KD-7 for modern electronic, hip hop, etc, type songs. Works awesome, sounds massive. I only use the (imo) usable sounds from the SPD SX (808's, etc), most the sounds are third party samples, that I tweaked/layered.

The acoustic kick trigger is fun, to. I use it for certain songs, just to add more sub end, attack, etc. Its not static, I use it for about a third of the songs. I was running a Roland snare trigger to, but ditched it once I got the BT-1 pads. All though, sometimes I'll use a snare trigger, if the gig requires it.

Everything is running off the SPD SX. I run in-ears through my own monitor mix. These types of set ups take time to research, test, fine tune, experiment, etc. I highly recommend practicing a lot, before hitting the stage with it. Also, be prepared that it will add extra set up/tear down time/effort.

Hybrid.jpg

Latest posts