Hybrid Vintage Kit

Captured Saint

Reaction score
I love the look and feel of vintage drums but my main two kits are more modern. A 98 Yamaha Beech Custom and a 2005 Gretsch renown. The vintage kits obviously command a price. However I was thinking of buying an orphan kit. Example on eBay currently (as an example). A rogers holiday tom (12") a 70's Ludwig Floor and a bass drum. I would aim for the vintage USA such as Ludwig/Slinger/Rogers as those are the makes I would like to own. Maybe an English Premier in there if struggling to find suitable drums. I only want a 3 piece as that is what I play usually + snare.I have enough cymbals and snares already. Looking online I reckon I can get the three drums in random configuration less than the price of say a specific kit from the manufacturers I mention above. This has been driven by a recent gig where I saw the drummer had done just that. Had a 4 piece kit of different makes/colours etc but all vintage. It looked and sounded very cool. Wondered what opinion was of this idea. Obviously they would be different woods etc but its more a hobby thing than using it as my gigging kit.

DD

Reaction score
I love the look and feel of vintage drums but my main two kits are more modern. A 98 Yamaha Beech Custom and a 2005 Gretsch renown. The vintage kits obviously command a price. However I was thinking of buying an orphan kit. Example on eBay currently (as an example). A rogers holiday tom (12") a 70's Ludwig Floor and a bass drum. I would aim for the vintage USA such as Ludwig/Slinger/Rogers as those are the makes I would like to own. Maybe an English Premier in there if struggling to find suitable drums. I only want a 3 piece as that is what I play usually + snare.I have enough cymbals and snares already. Looking online I reckon I can get the three drums in random configuration less than the price of say a specific kit from the manufacturers I mention above. This has been driven by a recent gig where I saw the drummer had done just that. Had a 4 piece kit of different makes/colours etc but all vintage. It looked and sounded very cool. Wondered what opinion was of this idea. Obviously they would be different woods etc but its more a hobby thing than using it as my gigging kit.
Thanks for willingness to save the orphans! Seems to me that once a drum is broken out/abandoned as a single anyways then why not put it to whatever use floats your boat? If it was a rare color or drum in particularly great shape then I could see wanting to preserve for potential resale value down the road. But otherwise I’d say why not give it a go? Sounds like it’d be fun adventure and you could always swap individual drums later to try out different options too. Would be curious to see how it turns out for you…

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in the long run it will be more efficient and satisfying to buy a complete original or matched set. Look for a Slingerland or Premier. If you don't mind a couple of modifications, you could save some dough

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to have an orphan kit of 13” niles Slingerland, 16” WFL, 20” rogers and a Slingerland sound king that all came in to my possession free. They played well together and looked good with a rattle can “duco” green and gold finish. I recently completed assembling an orphan kit of garbage find Stop Sign Gretsch Toms, with a 3 ply Ludwig bass that also play well together. However if I was looking to buy vintage drums and wasn’t particular about finish I would probably look for complete kits close to home in unpopular finishes. Shipping x3 individual drums will add up. I still see 70’s kits relatively cheap near me and many are 5 piece so you can sell off the extra tom and recoup some of the money

Captured Saint

Reaction score
I used to have an orphan kit of 13” niles Slingerland, 16” WFL, 20” rogers and a Slingerland sound king that all came in to my possession free. They played well together and looked good with a rattle can “duco” green and gold finish. I recently completed assembling an orphan kit of garbage find Stop Sign Gretsch Toms, with a 3 ply Ludwig bass that also play well together. However if I was looking to buy vintage drums and wasn’t particular about finish I would probably look for complete kits close to home in unpopular finishes. Shipping x3 individual drums will add up. I still see 70’s kits relatively cheap near me and many are 5 piece so you can sell off the extra tom and recoup some of the money
I am UK based so those USA originals we love are more expensive on these shores.

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
i have a set of orphans i played 2 gigs this summer with them
20x14 rogers
12x8 camco
15x12 slingerland
all in natural finish
5x14 beverly snare
i also have a 12x12 ludwig tom that i switch up

Attachments

kallen49

Reaction score
My 1969 club date bass drum had the old varnish hanging off of it in strips.
Paid $100 for it and had fun restoring it. (also paid $50 for replacement hoops)

Recently found a 1961 field snare that had been converted to a floor tom. Peeled off the vinyl wrap, installed Inde BR2 brackets and aluminum legs so now I have a matching blue/silver 15” floor tom that weighs almost nothing. ($150 for drum, $30 for 1 hoop, $20 for new tension rods from Drumfactorydirect)

Just paid $75 for eight WFL bowtie lugs so now hunting for a 12” shell to mount them on & complete the trio.
Seeing the current asking price for vintage club date kits I’m happy with what I have collected.
You do need to check your local web classified ads on a daily basis to score the really good values, like the converted snare.

Attachments