I’m out of G.A.S.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was at the music store by my house Saturday. Seriously considered working a deal on an Anniversary Black Beauty.

Then we pulled the new Benny Greb Sonor 13” Brass down …..

I didn’t want the BB anymore …

Then I realized I had a 13” Brass snare at home …..

I bought a pair of brushes ……

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like occasionally visiting GC to look around or to pick up some small thing I need, but haven't bought drums or cymbals since completing the cymbal setup at my big band rehearsal spot a few years ago. I love the gear I have, and new drums just don't tempt me. Much.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m getting really close. I just want to pick up a couple more 70s Paistes and then I gotta tap out.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting to this point with cymbals and drum sets . I am more than happy with the cymbals I own now . I have one drum set on order (Gretsch USA Custom) and it just might be my last kit . Gigs are getting sparser and retirement from the day job is looming , plus I have a new hobby interest that will be taking up large chunks of my free time .
I have one snare drum in order , but there really is not anything else out there that would compel me to whip out the credit card.

I have done a ton of wheeling and dealing and swapping and selling over the last ten years or so. I am at a place where gear is just gear now .

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am getting to this point with cymbals and drum sets . I am more than happy with the cymbals I own now . I have one drum set on order (Gretsch USA Custom) and it just might be my last kit . Gigs are getting sparser and retirement from the day job is looming , plus I have a new hobby interest that will be taking up large chunks of my free time .
I have one snare drum in order , but there really is not anything else out there that would compel me to whip out the credit card.

I have done a ton of wheeling and dealing and swapping and selling over the last ten years or so. I am at a place where gear is just gear now .
Well that sounded good in your head I bet. ;)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just hang out here for a while. We'll get your G.A.S. restarted. :laughing6:

Seriously, I know where you are. I have all the drums and cymbals I really need (notice I did not say want) right now, but I'm always open if something interesting comes my way. There are little things I am finding I need rather than the big things. I've had to replace one cymbal stand that broke on me recently. I've also had to replace a snare stand. I think my throne may be starting to go as well and may need replaced - it's only 30+ years old.:dontknow:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have all the sounds I need and want.It's not "just gear" it's choosing and Choicing (it's not a word) Then realizing "Stop"
It's - the question now- what to do with all the choices and choosing made prior -to the most recent update- arrival that served in the past... How when and where to dispose of.
And will that disposing of all prior choices affect the current ---meaning will they be missed? Will it detract from the recent arrivals?
Will it rip the journey it took to get there to pieces?..

In (my) other words you've reached and got to the roof. And finished it. Now... and how, do you knock out the foundation that led you there and should you. Even if you don't plan on visiting the lower "floors" or even "the basement" anymore.. (I mean I still have Japanese Cymbals that "were a thing" for me at one time.. I still have "A's" that go back with me a long ways.. Does progress carry with it eliminating the past

Last edited:

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I still buy an occasional cymbal or snare and am halfheartedly looking at a couple things right now but nothing like in the past. I have plenty of great stuff. And the buzz from new gear wears off too quickly anymore, quickly becoming "just a piece of gear I own."

I miss researching and hunting for gear more than actually acquiring it actually...

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to buy a Signia kit I used to own about 6 months ago .
I thought about it and figured they would just sit on shelves as I have a kit in those sizes I enjoy .

But man I sure thought about it …

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
06632DA7-03C0-40B7-8186-0E6715826234.jpeg

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Last year I was holding at 6 snares now number 10 is in the works for late January. Cymbals I am close. Need 15” IAK hats and 22” IAK crash ride or jazz ride then done.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those Benny Greb BEECH snares, though….

For big gear I often engage an aspiration acquisition paradigm. If I am able to start a new project playing all original music, or if not original at least totally re-worked interpretations, and we stay together at least a year and gig, then I get a new drum set.

In the last 15 years, that has meant only two kits.

This paradigm does not apply to snares and cymbals. Thank God.