I’m out of G.A.S.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was at the music store by my house Saturday. Seriously considered working a deal on an Anniversary Black Beauty.

Then we pulled the new Benny Greb Sonor 13” Brass down …..

I didn’t want the BB anymore …

Then I realized I had a 13” Brass snare at home …..

I bought a pair of brushes ……
Where there's a will, and the money, there's always an alternative to the first item.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had nine kits as of the beginning of 2019 when I ordered my Gretsch kit. When I got the crazy idea of making it into a shell bank I started selling kits off.

These days I have a 1960s vintage Slingerland kit that I use daily for practice.

I have a 1970s vintage Slingerland kit that I keep at our bassist's house where we rehearse weekly.

My DW Collector's Series kit and my Gretsch USA Custom shell bank are cased up and ready to go at moment's notice. I have no need for additional kits.

But...

There is a set of Classic Maple Ludwigs that belonged to my late friend Bill, his widow has them for sale. They are in as new condition, and in my favorite sizes. I'm tempted. I've never own a set of Ludwig drums, and if I were going to buy a set of Ludwigs, this would be the one.

1638857848285.png

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we could have “The Contest” (Seinfeld Reference) starting in 2022 to see who can go the longest without buying gear :). Obviously since I already mentioned a snare late January I will go ahead and say it “I’m out!”
You beat me to it. But these days, it’s usually snares or an occasional cymbal. Because shell packs appeal to me, only my next kit (Summit Mahogany) is in my sights. And that will be a 22/13/16 config.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I shouldna watched the J. DeChristopher " Ringo's cymbals " podcast . Now I'm itching all over ... feels good to scratch but only makes it worse .... Lucy holding the football .... again .

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You beat me to it. But these days, it’s usually snares or an occasional cymbal. Because shell packs appeal to me, only my next kit (Summit Mahogany) is in my sights. And that will be a 22/13/16 config.

I am in on that , but we cannot include gear that was ordered in 2021 ok ? Drum sets , cymbals and snare purchases would knock someone out . Consumable items like sticks , heads , thrones , stands are still in play, but only when necessary . Everyone cool with that ?

Contest begins midnight December 31st.

O

Ox Han

If you need more GAS, I highly recommend interfaces, microphones, and mic pres. Then debt counseling and shopaholics with a shot of more GAS.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah no way you'd win the contest, by end of the day Jan 1st you'll have bought and sold three things LOL :)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
If you need more GAS, I highly recommend interfaces, microphones, and mic pres. Then debt counseling and shopaholics with a shot of more GAS.

I've always had the PA, two years ago I went down the rabbit hole of replacing all my old stuff, now have 4 QSC CP12's for Monitors and K12's for mains and Presonus 16.0.2 digital board which I then discovered how easy it is to record with, dangerous for sure looking at mics on Sweetwater!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's like combing your hair a different way

You lost me with this one.

The last time that I had hair long enough to comb, was probably nineteen years ago.

On the other hand...

I bought a drum this past November 20th. (Sixteen days ago.) :D

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Combing your hair a different way
owning 12 sets -same size- exactly same dimensions; but different brand different color
superficial cosmetic or just..obsessive something (lol)

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Combing your hair a different way
owning 12 sets -same size- exactly same dimensions; but different brand different color
superficial cosmetic or just..obsessive something (lol)
Someone has to bolster the economy!!!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say to that person " thank you for your service".

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
This post got me to thinking, as I've done the same thing (too) many times. I consider all of the guys at the local drum shop here in Cleveland to be good friends, so I stop in there a few times each month. I feel guilty if I don't buy anything, which means I generally wander over to the "specialty stick" area.

Net result is that I own eight or ten pairs of brushes, a few dozen pairs of rute rods, a bunch of mallets and various other odd ball "implements". That doesn't even account for the 50+ pairs of sticks I have laying around or the 40+ drumheads I've got still in the box.

This pic is just brushes and rute rods that I had within easy access - without having to dig too deep into the drum room.

BTW - I'm still looking for the magic pair of brushes that enable me to play like Jeff Hamilton.
Sticks.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I don't mean to say anything about Ohio (I'm a very close neighbor for Pete's sake)

But didn't Ohio Invent the whole Hoarders movement resulting in the TV show etc (I think so.
Wasn't hoarding discovered in Ohio first?. I think so..

or the 40+ drumheads I've got still in the box.
what are you going to do with those (don't answer ; )

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
You know I don't mean to say anything about Ohio (I'm a very close neighbor for Pete's sake)

But didn't Ohio Invent the whole Hoarders movement resulting in the TV show etc (I think so.
Wasn't hoarding discovered in Ohio first?. I think so..

what are you going to do with those (don't answer ; )

I prefer to think of it as "product testing"

Test results:

Favorite brushes - Vic Firth Russ Miller model (one stiff brush for cymbal work and a thinner gauge one for drum sweeps.)

Favorite Rute - Steve Smith Tala Wand, which unfortunately has been discontinued which I think is due to his having moved on to a different endorsement deal. It's a shame 'cause those were great.

Last edited: