I’ve probably said this before but much love for Club Customs!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Having too many kits that you play out can actually have a problem. Some kits just don’t get played enough.

I played a small gig last night and brought my beloved orange swirl Yammy Club Customs in a 22/10/12/16 config with my matching 5.5x14 snare. I’m running Colortones on them and man, I love this kit. Feels great under the stick and sounds just as good. The only problem was my hurt rib from a recent bike accident.
Now, if I could only find a matching 9x13 out there.
05A3D429-5A02-4D39-9380-E076CB397747.jpeg
C0BBE51F-3865-4C85-94C5-D559CA19924B.jpeg

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like mine, too. I am not a huge fan of "vintage-ish" drums, but these are a nice, sweet spot for my tastes. Just modern enough yet with all the right vintage-ish touches. Like you, it definitely doesn't get the play time it should. I was recently thinking about clearing out some space in my living room and making this the artwork in the house, because it's just so eye-catching. But then, just like living room furniture that no one ever uses, it might get even less play time!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Having too many kits that you play out can actually have a problem. Some kits just don’t get played enough.

I played a small gig last night and brought my beloved orange swirl Yammy Club Customs in a 22/10/12/16 config with my matching 5.5x14 snare. I’m running Colortones on them and man, I love this kit. Feels great under the stick and sounds just as good. The only problem was my hurt rib from a recent bike accident.
Now, if I could only find a matching 9x13 out there.
View attachment 427808 View attachment 427809
Man, that is a beautiful kit, and looks very comfortable to play on.

I've never been a fan of 13" toms. To me, thirteens are too large to be small, and too small to be large, and present problems with interval tuning in otherwise even-sized tom mixes. My latest NOS Slingerland kit has a thirteen in the tom mix, and it's the same kind of wart that thirteens have always been in my typical even-sized kits.

That being said, my original set of Recording Customs had 10/13/14fl/16fl sizes and the tuning was no problem as far as intervals were concerned. I eventually traded the thirteen for a twelve and everything fell into place for my personal liking. That particular thirteen simply would not resonate as nicely as the other toms in that RC kit, regardless of the the heads or tuning that I applied.

Tastes are highly individual, of course, but if I were you I'd be searching for a matching 14" floor tom to add to the lovely mix you have now. I'm convinced that a fourteen floor tom would offer the greatest range of tuning possibilities. Not to mention that two floor toms look incredibly cool!

GeeDeeEmm

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Some days I think I shoulda held on to those. I'm glad you did!
Actually I didn’t. I sold my 22/10/22/13/14/16 a few years ago. A definite WTF did I do moment. I got these last year.

jazzerone

Reaction score
These are the drums I will never sell, for any reason. While I don't have the visual excitement of one of the swirl finishes, my matte black CC kit is still stunning, with classic looks against the bright chrome hardware. I have a 20/8/10/12/14 set up with the matching snare. Someday, someone, somewhere will foolishly offer up an 18" bd in this finish, and my drum collecting life will be complete...

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I fell in to Yamaha's because of my late brother. I love them. What I wish I had was a WMP kit but apparently they have made almost none of those.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I bounce between my 22,12,16 and 20,12,14 kits. I’m still looking for a 10” orange swirl. I do have an extra 14” floor tom to trade for one.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
. What I wish I had was a WMP kit but apparently they have made almost none of those.
My hands-down favorite wrap. I was given (yes!) a NOS mixed finish Slingerland kit and recovered the entire set in large chip Slingerland/Delmar White Marine Pearl and they look simply gorgeous.

I've seen only a couple of Yamaha sets in WMP - one Beech Custom and one Recording Custom - and they looked wonderful - of course!

So, whattaya' say? Is it time to transform your CC kit? WMP bliss is only a wrap away!

GeeDeeEmm

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen only a couple of Yamaha sets in WMP - one Beech Custom and one Recording Custom - and they looked wonderful - of course!
Yeah, I think the WMP was only available on Beech Custom Absolute, but not the regular BC. I have a Beech Custom Absolute snare 7x14" in WMP. It's fantastic.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love my CC's. Other kits may (will!) come and go but those are staying with me forever.
I wish this didn’t seem to be such a common sentiment among CC owners. It makes finding add-on pieces for my kit close to impossible!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the WMP was only available on Beech Custom Absolute, but not the regular BC. I have a Beech Custom Absolute snare 7x14" in WMP. It's fantastic.
it was available on all first gen Absolute models. Beech just seemed to be ordered more.

A8E95E22-FC24-46F2-930E-B8710D411B18.jpeg

My old Beech Custom Absolute.

The best sounding Yamaha I had.