I Am Joining The 18" Club...

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Before anyone laughs...I am talking 'ride cymbal' here.

I just purchased, on line, from GC an AGOP 18" Turk FLAT ride. I never played a ride smaller than 20". This will be a first.

I didn't need this, I have several flats, since that is all I use. I just could not resist this deal. They had it listed for $219, GREAT CONDITION. It was the price that appealed and I grabbed it. I figure, if I don't like it, I could flip it for more $$ than what I paid, or just return it. I have a local GC 12 minutes from home, and 4 others within 50 miles...and they have a 45 day return policy.

A win-win, as I see it. Should be here Tuesday.

Anyone playing an 18"?

Last edited:

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
I’ve got an 18” Sabian Manhattan Ride that I really like. I’d love to try an 18” Zildjian Pre-Aged Dry Light, too. I almost pulled the trigger on one a short while back. 18s are fun!

flatwins

Reaction score
Years back I picked up a 18” Paiste 2002 flat ride. I’m not really sure why since I was mainly playing mainstream rock stuff at the time but anyway, the ride didn’t work for my needs (go figure) so I turned it. Fast forward 15 years or so and I have more of an interest in jazz. I stopped in at one of my favorite pawnshop haunts and they had a 20” black label 2002 flat from the 70s. It was a decent deal so I took it home. Now, that cymbal I adore and use it for jazz/big band as well as rock covers. I bet if i tried that 18 today that I sold off years ago I’d probably have a much better experience with it.

Congrats on your new 18. I’d bet you’ll like it.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been messing around with an 18" Uptown Ride and an 18" Crash Ride, both Zildjian. Interesting sounds.

Dan

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone show make a shirt that says on the front. “Mine is 18” ……around” and on the back a pic of a bass drum.
GREAT IDEA...Bet they would sell....you have me thinking. In the 80's I printed T-shirts and sold at festivals...should pull my gear out of storage

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years back I picked up a 18” Paiste 2002 flat ride. I’m not really sure why since I was mainly playing mainstream rock stuff at the time but anyway, the ride didn’t work for my needs (go figure) so I turned it. Fast forward 15 years or so and I have more of an interest in jazz. I stopped in at one of my favorite pawnshop haunts and they had a 20” black label 2002 flat from the 70s. It was a decent deal so I took it home. Now, that cymbal I adore and use it for jazz/big band as well as rock covers. I bet if i tried that 18 today that I sold off years ago I’d probably have a much better experience with it.

Congrats on your new 18. I’d bet you’ll like it.
I have a Black Label Flat...if I like this Agop, I may sell the Black Label. I need to downsize anyway...Nobody does B8 better than Paiste, and it shines in their old flats

flatwins

Reaction score
I have a Black Label Flat...if I like this Agop, I may sell the Black Label. I need to downsize anyway...Nobody does B8 better than Paiste, and it shines in their old flats
Rick Dior (YouTube) has an incredible flat from Paiste’s Traditional series. They’re discontinued now but wow, what a cymbal.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an 18" Sabian flat ride and it is fantastic...and more importantly some folks have requested that cymbal in particular :)

I didn't need this, I have several flats, since that is all I use.
No...you do need this...;)
I also have a 20" Zildjian flat ride I like but it's nowhere near the 18. I have a friend that has an 18" Paiste and it's real nice as well.
bt

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rick Dior (YouTube) has an incredible flat from Paiste’s Traditional series. They’re discontinued now but wow, what a cymbal.
Have one...and am familiar with Rick. The Sig Trad Flat/the 2002/ and the Alpha flat are the best, IMO, flat rides I ever owned/played...had Bos/Masterwork/Istanbuls, but Paiste has it down with flats (or had it down, can't believe they discontinued them all)
I often thought aout seeing if Paiste would custom make a Sig Trad Flat for me...but the idea of cost kept me away from doing it

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been swinging at my Zildjian Uptown Ride quite a bit for medium volume funky soul.

It’s delightful as a second right side ride, currently overlapping a 20” K flat. The flat has an articulate “ting” and the Uptown has a slightly dirty “ping”.

The Uptown’s sound profile is unique without going too far astray. Great contrast for the flat and other more traditional sounding 20s I might use.

It crashes in earthy, tarnished accents, and the bell—with short decay-- is a pleasant tone.

An affordable cymbal, as well.

Tasty:

ED875FEB-21A7-4210-888D-BBE418857EDE.jpeg

SwissTrips

Reaction score
Before anyone laughs...I am talking 'ride cymbal' here.

I just purchased, on line, from GC an AGOP 18" Turk FLAT ride. I never played a ride smaller than 20". This will be a first.

I didn't need this, I have several flats, since that is all I use. I just could not resist this deal. They had it listed for $219, GREAT CONDITION. It was the price that appealed and I grabbed it. I figure, if I don't like it, I could flip it for more $$ than what I paid, or just return it. I have a local GC 12 minutes from home, and 4 others within 50 miles...and they have a 45 day return policy.

A win-win, as I see it. Should be here Tuesday.

Anyone playing an 18"?
Actually, I've been playing an 18" Zildjian K for years and, for whatever reason I've always had an 18 around. Perfect for cutting through a noisy gig or practice (you 100% scored a great deal btw, I don't think you'll be reselling it) Enjoy my friend! All flats? I dig it.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like 18’s. I have a Mehmet Turk flat 18”, and a Sabian Monarch 18” that I use as rides. I think both might benefit with rivets - just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 18" Zildjian Rock Crash that really sucks as a crash. Had to be a mislabeled one. It was a used one that looked new. I took my old 602 hats to the store. Thought I'd give it a try with my hats. It's a killer ride though. Nice bright tone with beautiful bell tones. It meshed with my hats perfectly. 80 dollars? Mine. I went back to Guitar Center to find another. Those were real crashes.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, I've been playing an 18" Zildjian K for years and, for whatever reason I've always had an 18 around. Perfect for cutting through a noisy gig or practice (you 100% scored a great deal btw, I don't think you'll be reselling it) Enjoy my friend! All flats? I dig it.
All flats...always liked them...soft/low volume/always felt easier to 'hear' the cymbal playing..very articulate. Read an article years ago by Paul Wertico. When he took over the drum throne for Pat Methany Group, he knew he would go all out with nothing but flats after seeing the drummer he replaced (forget his name), using a 602 flat...the sound 'fit' the PM Group, so he continued with a Paiste Sig flat and 602 flat for 15 years. So now, I refer to all my flats as, 'The Paul Wertico Thing"

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the drummer he replaced (forget his name)
Danny Gottlieb. A name one shouldn´t forget. ;-)

I have quite a history with 18" rides - simply because I couldn´t afford anything bigger at first. Then I got an 18" cymbal bag for gigging and thus was stuck with that size. :)
Played a black label 505 Ride for years (not particularly inspiring, but serviceable), then got a green label 18" Heavy Ride when they came out (pretty great cymbal actually) and a Zilco (by Zildjian Canada) which I drilled for rivets.
In recent years I had: Sabian Garage Ride, Zildjian Uptown Ride, K Crash Ride, 2002 Ride, 2002 Flatride, Rude Basher... all nice or even wonderful cymbals but I moved on... you know how it goes.
Currently have a 602 Medium, a SCDR and the aforementioned Zilco - all keepers. Wouldn´t mind a 602 Flatride, 2002 Heavy Ride or one of the elusive Signatures or Trads in 18".

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a few 18” ride cymbals , don’t currently . Some of the 18” rides I have owned :
18” A Zildjian bought new in the early 70’s - my first ride .
18” pre-aged K Dry light ride
18” Istanbul Agop Signature flat - quietest ride I have ever played
18” Paiste Sound Creation Dark Medium ride - wish I still owned this one
18” K Custom Session ride