I Am Joining The 18" Club...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
18" Istanbul Agop Jazz Ride -that was the ink- served for a long time 1632g think it was
18" Sound Creation Dark Crash 18" Brass Tones...
18" A's..
hands down forever classics still own
18" old K New Stamps 1477g and another with a rip in it that's wild
18 Intermediate 1467g
18" Type 4 old K 1521g
these are time keepers you ride (and side stick crash) left side full Rides
cup, stick, everything
everything a 20" A medium thin ride has/can do/ these have
~
there's a mid 60s New Stamp old K 18

Last edited:

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Danny Gottlieb. A name one shouldn´t forget. ;-)

I have quite a history with 18" rides - simply because I couldn´t afford anything bigger at first. Then I got an 18" cymbal bag for gigging and thus was stuck with that size. :)
Played a black label 505 Ride for years (not particularly inspiring, but serviceable), then got a green label 18" Heavy Ride when they came out (pretty great cymbal actually) and a Zilco (by Zildjian Canada) which I drilled for rivets.
In recent years I had: Sabian Garage Ride, Zildjian Uptown Ride, K Crash Ride, 2002 Ride, 2002 Flatride, Rude Basher... all nice or even wonderful cymbals but I moved on... you know how it goes.
Currently have a 602 Medium, a SCDR and the aforementioned Zilco - all keepers. Wouldn´t mind a 602 Flatride, 2002 Heavy Ride or one of the elusive Signatures or Trads in 18".
The 505's, IMO, were one those mysteries Paiste is famous for...the discontinuing of a good series. The 505 were the 'poor man's' 202.
I had a pr of 505 14" hats, Green Label. Bonzoleum told me one time, via his Youtube channel, that the Green 505 hats/series were the best Paiste put out. Wish I kept them, best low cost hats ever.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny Gottlieb. A name one shouldn´t forget. ;-)

I have quite a history with 18" rides - simply because I couldn´t afford anything bigger at first. Then I got an 18" cymbal bag for gigging and thus was stuck with that size. :)
Played a black label 505 Ride for years (not particularly inspiring, but serviceable), then got a green label 18" Heavy Ride when they came out (pretty great cymbal actually) and a Zilco (by Zildjian Canada) which I drilled for rivets.
In recent years I had: Sabian Garage Ride, Zildjian Uptown Ride, K Crash Ride, 2002 Ride, 2002 Flatride, Rude Basher... all nice or even wonderful cymbals but I moved on... you know how it goes.
Currently have a 602 Medium, a SCDR and the aforementioned Zilco - all keepers. Wouldn´t mind a 602 Flatride, 2002 Heavy Ride or one of the elusive Signatures or Trads in 18".
…and, you know your stuff, Martin! Lest I forget, it was you who guided me to my Uptown. Thank you for the sound (pun intended) advice, sir!

Sammybear

Reaction score
Been messing around with an 18" Uptown Ride and an 18" Crash Ride, both Zildjian. Interesting sounds.

Dan
Hi Dan.....Is "Interesting Sound" a good thing? On a scale of 1 to 10? I've looked at both of those, but don't have access to demo. thx

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Dan.....Is "Interesting Sound" a good thing? On a scale of 1 to 10? I've looked at both of those, but don't have access to demo. thx
The Uptown Ride is the old "Re-Mix" cymbal. Darker, dryer, some might say jazzier. The A is, well, an A, probably a Medium/Medium Thin weight which rides with not too much spread, imo.

Dan

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
Before anyone laughs...I am talking 'ride cymbal' here.

I just purchased, on line, from GC an AGOP 18" Turk FLAT ride. I never played a ride smaller than 20". This will be a first.

I didn't need this, I have several flats, since that is all I use. I just could not resist this deal. They had it listed for $219, GREAT CONDITION. It was the price that appealed and I grabbed it. I figure, if I don't like it, I could flip it for more $$ than what I paid, or just return it. I have a local GC 12 minutes from home, and 4 others within 50 miles...and they have a 45 day return policy.

A win-win, as I see it. Should be here Tuesday.

Anyone playing an 18"?
18” flats are great.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been using 18 rides on and off for over a decade, but exclusively for about the last five years or so, especially when I'm playing jazz. I'm mainly a Paiste guy, but I took a chance on a Sabian 18 prototype with a raw bell a few years ago and then had a friend install 4 rivets in it and it instantly became my go-to ride. When playing jazz, I often just use two rides (the 18 Sabian prototype and a used Paiste 2002 flat ride) and no crash cymbal. I have them both set on the right and low with the 18 sizzle overlapping the flat ride beneath it. That positioning allows me to go from one to the other with a slight turn of the wrist and makes playing them very easy.

2021-05-23-Blackwall Hitch001.JPG

2021-05-23-Blackwall Hitch004.JPG

Attachments

little rock

Reaction score
I too have an 18" Sabian Manhattan ride that is really a nice cymbal. I've had it for a number of years and never really thought about using it until I read this thread. I tried it and it was immediate "love". I don't play out anymore so will just dabble with it in my practice room. Thinking about pairing it with a Sabian 20" flat and a 16" Sabian Manhattan Bridge Ride (fabulous cymbal on its own). Oh and a set of 13" Sabian HH Light Hats. I believe that will be a sweet set.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All flats...always liked them...soft/low volume/always felt easier to 'hear' the cymbal playing..very articulate. Read an article years ago by Paul Wertico. When he took over the drum throne for Pat Methany Group, he knew he would go all out with nothing but flats after seeing the drummer he replaced (forget his name), using a 602 flat...the sound 'fit' the PM Group, so he continued with a Paiste Sig flat and 602 flat for 15 years. So now, I refer to all my flats as, 'The Paul Wertico Thing"
Danny Gottlieb.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had an 18” flat for awhile, but I’m most comfortable with alternate rides at 19” or 20”. Easier target. I’ve really been loving a 19” beautiful baby ride. Otherwise, it’s bigger from there.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have an 18" IAK dark thin crash that was cracked. Scored it for $10. I "fixed" the cracks (drilled the ends out) and added a few rivets. It was a cool cymbal that I used on my suitcase kit as the sole ride/crash (along with 13 hats & a 10" splash). I left it at the rehearsal space and of course somebody snagged it! My replacement is a 16" Sabian AAX explosion (I think) - it's an okay crash and I taped it to use as a "ride" - for $10, it's works!

For my real kits, I only use 18's as a crash or LSR to a 20/22. In my gigging set up, I have a Dream vintage bliss 18" crash ride that is a killer crash and makes for a decent ride. A little too dark to ride IMO, but an amazing crash - it is what modern K crashes wish they were! (And I am a diehard Z fan!)
The smallest ride I use is a 19" Soultone old school patina flat ride. Scored on an Amazon sale for $120 or $140. Gorgeous shimmery crash and lovely stick sound - it rivals my K Con 20" flat, with a tad more body on the stick. I added rivets at 9/12/3 and it really gives it some nice sustain and still has a very nice woody sound.

Sprice

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience with flats but I have a 18" Ed Thigpen crystal flat on the way that I hope I like. Might end up being a good fit as a main ride for a primarily brush setting. I've really liked most of the Sabian jazz lines I'm feeling pretty hopeful this works out.

little rock

Reaction score
Sprice, I have a 22" Ed Thigpen Crystal Flat that I will keep forever. Has a three rivet cluster from the factory. I'm sure youll like it, if not PM me please.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this 18" in the GC used pile for $70 about five years ago. I honestly think this is the ride cymbal I have been looking for all my life. It sounds fantastic and is great for all styles of music. You can ride it fast and hard without cymbal swell getting out of control. Not sure how old it is. By the emblem I think it's and older one. I was definitely in the right place at the right time when I found this.

Sabian_18_ride.jpg