I bought my friend's Joyful Noise and Radio King from his widow.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In June I posted a threat about helping my friend's widow inventory his gear and figure out how to sell it.

Bill and Marcy mean a lot to me, I'm trying to make sure that she gets good prices for his gear.

Bill's favorite piece of gear was his Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze snare. He fought with himself over spending that amount of money. We talked at length about it at the time, his wife, a gifted singer, supported the purchase.

He also had a really sweet Radio King. I'm a Radio King nut, we talked drums a lot when I'd drive him to doctor appointments.

One day as I was driving him home to his house in New Castle, he asked me to help his wife sell his gear some day when the time came. I told him that I didn't want to think about it, but of course I'd help. When he was getting really weak he also told her to call me when she needed help.

Bill passed at the end of June in 2020. We didn't dive into this right away because of Covid-19.

I inventoried everything at the beginning of this June, and so far I helped her sell a couple of his Bosphorus cymbals to a good friend of mine on Long Island (Thanks Gene!) and a Pearl snare which we sold locally.

The Joyful Noise is a special piece. He wrote about it many times on here. (His handle was "wcbrown".) The market is a bit tight right now, particularly for high end gear. I wanted to make sure that she got a good price for it. I decided that it would be cool to have a couple of his drums. I had a few hundred in the gear fund but not enough to make this happen.

Sometimes things just line up right. Someone here on DFO made me a good offer for my Istanbul K right when it could do the most good.

We made the deal happen late last week. (Thank you Carl!)

Tonight I talked to Bill's widow Marcie and made what I believe was a generous offer on the Joyful Noise and Radio King. She was thrilled. She had silently hoped that I would buy them, knowing that Bill knew that I appreciated them as much as he did.

Her son lives a couple of blocks from me. A check is in the mail. She'll drop them by the next time that she is in the area. I told her that there is no need to hurry.

Here are a few shots of the Joyful Noise.

Attachments

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After my stroke my wife and I moved to Pittsburgh. I started doing hand percussion gigs, but I was afraid to sit behind a kit again in front of a crowd. Bill "made" me sit in in on his kit. I ended up gigging probably close to a thousand more times thanks to him.

I owe him a lot.

Here is a shot of me behind his kit in 2013. Note the Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze. :D

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got to hear that snare, meet Bill and enjoy his band.

Unaware an old stamp K was up for sale however..... :angry5:

kidding- semi who got it .....speak now ah heck forever hold your piece ; )

those JN snares wow.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well I got to hear that snare, meet Bill and enjoy his band.

Unaware an old stamp K was up for sale however..... :angry5:

kidding- semi who got it .....speak now ah heck forever hold your piece ; )

those JN snares wow.

I thought of you Joe.

In actuality, it wasn't for sale. If it had been, I would have let you know.

A member sent me a note with a (good) offer on the day that I happened to be scratching my head, trying to figure out how to buy those snares from Marcy. It just happened to be the amount that I needed to make the snare deal happen.

I felt that him happening to make the offer exactly when he did was almost a sign that this should happen.

(I'm sure that sounds crazy to some of you.)

Cpb282

Reaction score
It sounds like Bill and Marcie were very lucky to have you. Nice work being one of the good ones.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought of you Joe.

In actuality, it wasn't for sale. If it had been, I would have let you know.

A member sent me a note with a (good) offer on the day that I happened to be scratching my head, trying to figure out how to buy those snares from Marcy. It just happened to be the amount that I needed to make the snare deal happen.

I felt that him happening to make the offer exactly when he did was almost a sign that this should happen.

(I'm sure that sounds crazy to some of you.)
I believe, not in a “ God “ way . But I believe there is something after …

storsav

Reaction score
Condolences and a touching story too. Nice drums. Best wishes to all.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice story and suitable you have these snares. Nothing is forever, but Bill (and his snare) live on through you.