I Built a "Skinny" Bass Drum (Video Link in Thread)

malonedrum

Reaction score
Skinny Bass Drum Build

I built this drum from a Keller shell cut-off that I found on Reverb for $35. I had most of the parts for this project lying around my closet of drum parts. I'm a huge fan of the shallow depth drums like the Tama Club Jam Mini and the Yamaha Stage Custom Hip (I've owned both briefly).

Let me know what you guys think of this project/video. If you head over to YouTube and want to leave a comment as to if I should build toms for this kit, I'd appreciate it. Subscribe too?

thestorysold

Reaction score
that was a cool little project. looks and sounds great! I really like the look of blue stain on wood. obviously larger than the ones you mentioned, but I have a 24x12 and a 20x12 that I really like.

malonedrum

Reaction score
Yes! I'm not man enough to ever play a 24" I think, but I'm a huge fan of 12" depth drums. It seems although 14" was the standard for the 1950s-1970s, you can find a few brands that offered some sort of 12" depth. I can't stand the modern stuff with 18" depth, just seems to over-do it.

thestorysold

Reaction score
Yes! I'm not man enough to ever play a 24" I think, but I'm a huge fan of 12" depth drums. It seems although 14" was the standard for the 1950s-1970s, you can find a few brands that offered some sort of 12" depth. I can't stand the modern stuff with 18" depth, just seems to over-do it.
agreed on the modern deep stuff. the first new set I ever bought was a Catalina Club Mod with the 22x20 bass drum before I ever knew much about drums. it sounded good, but was pretty obnoxious size wise.

I picked up this 24x12 locally a few months ago for $50 with the plans to resell, but I ended up liking it too much after I restored it.
IMG_7551.jpg
IMG_7618.jpg

I just bought this 20x12 a few weeks ago on eBay from an antiques seller. they had it listed as a 20x14, but they included the hoops in that measurement. so I was pleasantly surprised when I received it. cleaned it up/added a clear coat and added the hoop mount spurs.
IMG_8623.jpg
IMG_8624.jpg

I was a bit skeptical of the sounds a single tension bass drum could produced, but they both have some good thump and punch.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nicely done. Fun project. This is similar to a project I did several years ago with Keller shells 12x6+14x7+20x10 and Rogers hardware. Mine has since gone down the road, but had a surprising sound as well.

Attachments

malonedrum

Reaction score
Nicely done. Fun project. This is similar to a project I did several years ago with Keller shells 12x6+14x7+20x10 and Rogers hardware. Mine has since gone down the road, but had a surprising sound as well.
Wow, those are very similar to what I'm doing! I actually did build a 12" x 6.5" tom, and am finishing up a 14" x 11" floor tom at the moment. But I put my floor tom on legs. I'll have a video out on those two in a couple weeks

malonedrum

Reaction score
agreed on the modern deep stuff. the first new set I ever bought was a Catalina Club Mod with the 22x20 bass drum before I ever knew much about drums. it sounded good, but was pretty obnoxious size wise.

I picked up this 24x12 locally a few months ago for $50 with the plans to resell, but I ended up liking it too much after I restored it.
View attachment 452056 View attachment 452057

I just bought this 20x12 a few weeks ago on eBay from an antiques seller. they had it listed as a 20x14, but they included the hoops in that measurement. so I was pleasantly surprised when I received it. cleaned it up/added a clear coat and added the hoop mount spurs.
View attachment 452059 View attachment 452058

I was a bit skeptical of the sounds a single tension bass drum could produced, but they both have some good thump and punch.

Wow, your restoration looks amazing! And I'm loving that ducco one, I love the gritty look, so I'd personally just leave that one as is.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 452056 View attachment 452057

View attachment 452059 View attachment 452058

Last summer I picked up this 12x20 single ply drum from the 1910's. I've since stripped it and am in the process of resto-modding it.

I'm going to drill it for lugs and spurs and a cymbal mount. Pretty excited for that.

Attachments

thestorysold

Reaction score
Wow, your restoration looks amazing! And I'm loving that ducco one, I love the gritty look, so I'd personally just leave that one as is.
thanks! the paint was flaking pretty bad, so I was happy to be able to salvage what I could.

Last summer I picked up this 12x20 single ply drum from the 1910's. I've since stripped it and am in the process of resto-modding it.

I'm going to drill it for lugs and spurs and a cymbal mount. Pretty excited for that.
nice! definitely keep posting pictures of the progress of that. how come you are adding lugs?

malonedrum

Reaction score

That drum has a ton of character, I lov eit