I can't believe this guy has not heard metallica before

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo, he had, this is what's called 'selling wolf tickets'.
I wouldn't doubt LL for a minute. He seems like a very genuine fellow to me. It's more likely that the song wasn't on his radar, or that he heard tiny bits of it in passing and ignored it because he might not generally listen to metal.

We had a thread about this 2-3 weeks ago. I don't see a need to rehash, but why not discuss it "'til the Sandman, he comes"?

https://www.drumforum.org/threads/larnell-plays-metallica.182448/

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
He's an incredible pro and this isn't a difficult song...the beat is pretty simple, the song has a structure that repeats. He's probably played gigs without rehearsals. I don't think this was a hard challenge for him, and I'd been more impressed if he had been given a Zappa score to sight read on the spot.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a Canadian son of Caribbean parents who learned to play drums in church. It's perfectly reasonable that he's never been exposed to Metallica.

The Enter Sandman video was a fun follow up to another Drumeo video he made 10 months ago, where he does a really complex song after listening and charting out the song in one session. (Video says he hears it once, but then shows him going back to chart it out after the first listen.)

BlackPearl

Reaction score
It’s be hard not to hear Metallica if you go to an NFL game or a big-time wrestling event!
There are no NFL games to go to in Toronto or anywhere else in Canada. I've never been to one or watched one on TV. Some of us avoid anything to do with wrestling as much as possible.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no NFL games to go to in Toronto or anywhere else in Canada. I've never been to one or watched one on TV. Some of us avoid anything to do with wrestling as much as possible.
My mistake, eh! Sorry! Fixed it!

It’s be hard not to hear Metallica if you go to an NFL CFL game or a big-time wrestling event!

Jay_M

Reaction score
I can't name a Metallica song though I know who the drummer is because of his individual popularity and I was curious about his polarizing status on forums like these so I looked him up. I'm sure if a certain song came on it'd be familiar but I didn't grow up exposed to it and certainly was never in a musical situation that called for it. That said, a pro at his level absorbs things at an insane level for a living so not surprised he hadn't.

dyland

Reaction score
This reminds me of something I heard on the I'd Hit That podcast but I forget who said it.

They said they have a mental color coding system for transitions. So if, while listening the first time, a transitions occurs in a way that he expected, he codes it as green. If it occurs in a less expected way that still makes sense, he codes it yellow. If it's a totally out there transition then it's coded as red. It seems like Larnell employed a similar concept, allowing him to use "song logic" for most of the tune so that he could remember where some of the specific figures and transitions were (a few of which he missed). It seems perfectly reasonably that he'd be able to pull off what he did in the video.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In one clinic he was asked , being Canadian, was he inspired by Neil Peart . He was apologetic when he said he was never exposed to that kind of music growing up so he did not know who he was until much later.
I can see him not being familiar with Metallica music for sure.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just making a broad generalization, I don't know about Larnell, but you see a lot of gospel drummers who have incredible abilities. Those abilities come from a LOT of playing time. These churches go hard. If you're a member, your much of your life revolves around long and frequent services. If you're a musician in one, you don't have time for much else. You're learning new material every week, showing up to church early, going home late at least twice a week. You can miss out on a lot of pop culture that way.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
My mistake, eh! Sorry! Fixed it!

It’s be hard not to hear Metallica if you go to an NFL CFL game or a big-time wrestling event!
Well, I'll add that to my already long list of reasons I'll never attend a football game or a wrestling event. Different strokes I guess.