I cleaned my cymbals today for the first time in my life. I hated it!

Santino

Reaction score
I regularly clean all my crashes and have been using BKF since my teacher told me about it in '77.
I haven't cleaned a ride since I "grew up". They get wiped/dusted and put away.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have cleaned cymbals in the past and it turned out to be like the OP: messy and tedious. Honestly, the sound changed, but not substantially, so that is not why I am loathe to clean cymbals. The real reason, in a word, is laziness. Oh, and on the sound change - no more pronounced than playing the cymbals in question in rooms with different sound characteristics. I'd have mine shiny all the time if it wasn't such a chore.

Scottie15

Reaction score
I clean all my cymbals with Bar Keepers Friend every few months, depending on use. Patina is simply a form of corrosion that works to limit the high frequencies the cymbals create, making them less likely to cut through the mix of a live band and reducing articulation overall. Besides liking the look of shiny cymbals, I like the sound of clean pies.

When I started decades ago the best option for cleaning was Brasso, which required much elbow grease and generated a huge mess. BKF is fast, easy, and leaves my stainless steel sink even cleaner than the cymbals. I can clean ride, china, three crashes, splash, and hats in 30 minutes or so and wind up with clean cymbals and a couple of damp towels.

What method do you use with BKF? Are you using the powder?

Dumpy

Reaction score
I use a furniture wax on my Colorsounds and the same on my non-colored cymbals.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cleaned by cymbals back when I was in high school. But when I got my first old K, brought it home and cleaned it, I could swear it made it sound brighter (which I didn't like). Since then I've never cleaned a cymbal, and now I like the way they look better dirty.

felis

Reaction score
....Have used Groove Juice many times in the past, you got to use a lot of it to prevent spots/streaking so it's not economical....
Try a big sponge, soaking wet so the water is dripping off of it, then run a line of Groove Juice down the sponge and work from there, while running the cymbal under a light stream of water.

It's the only way I've gotten it to not leave streaks and spots.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I clean all my cymbals with Bar Keepers Friend every few months, depending on use. Patina is simply a form of corrosion that works to limit the high frequencies the cymbals create, making them less likely to cut through the mix of a live band and reducing articulation overall. Besides liking the look of shiny cymbals, I like the sound of clean pies.

When I started decades ago the best option for cleaning was Brasso, which required much elbow grease and generated a huge mess. BKF is fast, easy, and leaves my stainless steel sink even cleaner than the cymbals. I can clean ride, china, three crashes, splash, and hats in 30 minutes or so and wind up with clean cymbals and a couple of damp towels.
Bar Keepers Friend brand has more than one cleaning product. Which one are you referring to?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bar Keepers Friend brand has more than one cleaning product. Which one are you referring to?
Both liquid and powder work. Powder is abrasive and works better for really dirty cymbals, but it much harder on logos if you care about them.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember using BKF cleanser decades ago on cymbals I got from pawn shops, seemed to work fine but yeah, easy on the abrasive.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my mom had Brasso lying around, so I used it on my Zildjians back then. Seemed to work fine. Since switching to Paiste, I've only used the Paiste cleaner and protector, but I don't clean them very often.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Generally even merely slightly faded logos will hurt the resale value.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That seems kind of like saying, "Don't take the sticker out of your new car's window"... almost.
Not that anyone cares but I don't care about ink on my cymbals. As a matter of fact I prefer an expanse of shiny alloy. If you decide to sell a cymbal to someone show them the stamp. If they say, NO, I want people to know what cymbals I have from across the room, terminate the meeting.
I did mine a couple years ago now with the Zildjian cleaner, old towels, and a random orbital sander with the rubber disc against the towel. Fast, low effort, shiny!!! Logos are faded a bit. A few more times hopefully they'll be gone.

ThomasL

Reaction score
Your generally is too general. A lot of drummers remove the top logos and apply a patina if the cymbal is too shiny. (Hint: these drummers 'generally' don't play A Customs.)

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That seems kind of like saying, "Don't take the sticker out of your new car's window"... almost.
Not that anyone cares but I don't care about ink on my cymbals. As a matter of fact I prefer an expanse of shiny alloy. If you decide to sell a cymbal to someone show them the stamp. If they say, NO, I want people to know what cymbals I have from across the room, terminate the meeting.
I did mine a couple years ago now with the Zildjian cleaner, old towels, and a random orbital sander with the rubber disc against the towel. Fast, low effort, shiny!!! Logos are faded a bit. A few more times hopefully they'll be gone.
It was surprising to me too but the fact remains.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unfortunately, even for people who normally don't care, they still use it as a bargaining chip. You just know it's coming.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, even for people who normally don't care, they still use it as a bargaining chip. You just know it's coming.
I am wise to the fact.
You are wise to the fact.
Many are wise to the fact.
Not all are wise to the fact.