I cleaned my cymbals today for the first time in my life. I hated it!

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your generally is too general. A lot of drummers remove the top logos and apply a patina if the cymbal is too shiny. (Hint: these drummers 'generally' don't play A Customs.)
My general statement regarding resale value isn't affected by the general statement you made in your second sentence.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I think I cleaned a cymbal once when I first started drumming, 20 something years ago. I remember the mess, the dirty cloths. Not worth to me anymore, and with all my cymbals being from the 50's and 60's I like the patina. My hi hats are from the late 90's but now they match since I've never cleaned them, other than removing the big Zildjian logo when I first got them. If I had newer cymbals I'd probably clean them to keep them shiny.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone on another forum posted a thread on burying cymbals for a couple years, I guess that's some voodoo science some people subscribe to but it appeared that you're supposed to wrap them first or something and they just dug a hole in the yard and sunk them down in there unwrapped, for 3 years lol

The kimchi came out a bit ripe

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Soap, water. #4 steel wool, in the laundry tub.. Don't Cry try it on old Zildjians Gleams the tops of the Lathe ridges.
Softly lightly. You ain't gonna hurt no bronze/ done rightly and lightly. Dry. Done.
Once every 15 years

SeptOneHomE 001.JPG
SeptOneHomE 003.JPG

aug520 002.JPG
aug520 002.JPG

Don't need no compounds or chemicals mayonaise
the #4 (edit #0000) pad gets so waterlogged it don't end up meaning sheet; throwaway pad afterwards it'll dry to rust in an hour
SeptOneHomE 001.JPG SeptOneHomE 003.JPG

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have always cleaned my cymbals. I think its important to remember that cleaning returns the cymbal to what it sounded like new, before all that crud got into the grooves dulled the sound. plus, when you put new white heads on a drum set, nice shiny cymbals really look great.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I cleaned mine last year. The 60s Zildjian 22" was all stick and nothing else. After cleaning it is now back to being what it always was, fantastic. The others cleaned up nicely but I didn't hear any differences. I had fun doing it, it was not hard.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I swear by the random orbital sander. Just sway it gently back and forth with any polish/cleaner you choose, The polish goo turns black then gets absorbed by the towel. You need a supply of old dispensable towels but wash em and save in the rag bin for next time. SHINE LIKE NEW.

Last edited:

tone-def

Reaction score
Not sure I'd try it on my most cherished cymbals but have on others: spray on some oven cleaner, let sit for a minute, rinse with the hose in the backyard, dry. Done and shiny in about 5min. No mess.

Last edited:

Ncrhythmman

Reaction score
I do clean my cymbals, the ones that need it. Clean cymbals look better & sound brighter to me. I use Zims Cymbal Cleaner. It claims to be The Easiest & The Best , & I agree...Sam Ash stores sell it, or you can get it directly from the inventor, Greg DiCarlo , on fb. I also apply a coat of Behold spray furniture polish afterwards, to check fingerprints & protect them as long as possible.
Now, That being said....I also like dark colored cymbals, that come dark & stay dark, that don't really need cleaning, other than an occasional wipedown. I've acquired some Saluda brand cymbals lately, which i love, & that's one of the darker brands I'm speaking of. BLR / ncrhythmman

Attachments

mtug

Reaction score
I never, ever, clean my cymbals. I don't want to spoil the sound. I've been playing some of them for nearly 40 years, and they sound great without a wash.

bob meyer

Reaction score
Once, I was going to buy an old K Istanbul from someone... he cleaned it as a "favor." Then I played it and backed out of the deal. Enough said.

Reaction score
I know it seems strange but I have played drums for over 20 years and never in my life had I cleaned one of my cymbals ... today was the day ... arrrghhhh!

Long story short, I bought some dream bliss hi hats as a spare to my in house drum, and the seller "did me a favor" and cleaned the cymbals. I must admit they looked neat and he did a good job.

When I got home, I put the cymbals on the stand and immediately my wife says: wowww your other cymbals are really disgusting compared to these; what if you cleaned them hey?

Not wanting to upset my wife who is vert supportive, and lets me have a drum at home and make noise anytime I want, I went to the music store closest to home and bought some of those cleaning fluids.

They had Paiste and Zildjian; as i'm cheap, i went to Zildjian and thought: well this crap must be all the same! Cleaning was the most horrifying thing I did in my life: a complete mess, all dirty cloths flying in all directions, the bathtub ended with black residue from the oxidation patina of the cymbals ... a horror movie!

In the end my wife thought they looked beautiful all shiny and yellow; Personally my thoughts were: I lost 2 hours of my life and the cymbals now sound different and not sure if for the better! I don't think I'll ever do this again in my life.

Do any of you usually clean cymals? Are your experiences as terrifying as mine?
Twenty plus years I wrote to Modern Drummer ( which they printed in Reader's Platform ) on how to clean your cymbals. Consequently I found out later that you don't clean cymbals because they take on their own character.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
I remember Larry Allen had to clean Neils Zildjian cymbals all the time. That was a job and a half in the 70’s. I have owned and played Paiste Sound Formulas, Zildjian Brilliants or UFIP Class Brilliants, so I No longer have that serious a problem. That said, many of the Zildjian non Brilliant A’s from the 70’s sound better than the new K’s. There’s some stuff out by Krud Kutter called Graffitti Remover, try that. I will never use Groove Juice again in my life. That stuff eats the finish off and can discolor a cymbal. That’s not cleaning, that’s destroying the lacquer many cymbal companies put on cymbals. Especially, Paiste.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it seems strange but I have played drums for over 20 years and never in my life had I cleaned one of my cymbals ... today was the day ... arrrghhhh!

Long story short, I bought some dream bliss hi hats as a spare to my in house drum, and the seller "did me a favor" and cleaned the cymbals. I must admit they looked neat and he did a good job.

When I got home, I put the cymbals on the stand and immediately my wife says: wowww your other cymbals are really disgusting compared to these; what if you cleaned them hey?

Not wanting to upset my wife who is vert supportive, and lets me have a drum at home and make noise anytime I want, I went to the music store closest to home and bought some of those cleaning fluids.

They had Paiste and Zildjian; as i'm cheap, i went to Zildjian and thought: well this crap must be all the same! Cleaning was the most horrifying thing I did in my life: a complete mess, all dirty cloths flying in all directions, the bathtub ended with black residue from the oxidation patina of the cymbals ... a horror movie!

In the end my wife thought they looked beautiful all shiny and yellow; Personally my thoughts were: I lost 2 hours of my life and the cymbals now sound different and not sure if for the better! I don't think I'll ever do this again in my life.

Do any of you usually clean cymals? Are your experiences as terrifying as mine?
you grew accustomed to the muted sound of filthy cymbals.. the grooves and pores full of bar mung and gunk and body oils. they now sound like they did when they were new.

kerryprance

Reaction score
Hey .... If that factory shine is important to you, just get a can of clear fiberglass resin and decoupage the whole thing! Even better for apartment dwellers!:evil4: