header.nohb.html

I cleaned my cymbals today for the first time in my life. I hated it!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always keep my cymbals clean. They sound exactly as the manufacturer intended them to sound. If they are too bright to start, I don't count on them mellowing out by getting them dirty, I just buy a different cymbal that sounds the way I want it to.

49117848842_5455778580_c.jpg

51820860200_b8552205fb_c.jpg

Even the ones that look dirty from the factory still get cleaned:

48873768957_6df5070268_c.jpg

Davo

Reaction score
I always keep my cymbals clean. They sound exactly as the manufacturer intended them to sound. If they are too bright to start, I don't count on them mellowing out by getting them dirty, I just buy a different cymbal that sounds the way I want it to.

49117848842_5455778580_c.jpg

51820860200_b8552205fb_c.jpg

Even the ones that look dirty from the factory still get cleaned:

48873768957_6df5070268_c.jpg
What do you use ?

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the past 20 years I have only cleaned 1 of my 40ish cymbals.
It was a Sabian AA ride I picked up in a pawn shop.
I brought it home and played it and it sounded fantastic.
Then I cleaned it with cymbal cleaner and it shined like a new penny!
It also sounded so completely different and bright that for me, it became unusable.
I still have it, still looks great, still sounds too bright and ringy to fit anything I play.
I won’t be cleaning anymore cymbals.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do you use ?

I used to use Sabian cymbal cleaner. It was a spray on, wait 30 seconds, wipe off affair, but I have had a lot of trouble finding it lately. It worked well for cleaning off some grimy cymbals, but now that everything is clean and I only need "maintinence" cleaning I have been using Pearl's drum and cymbal polish. This has also been harder to find lately. Not sure if this stuff is getting phased out or if it's a supply chain issue, but it works great for drums and cymbals of all finishes.

Davo

Reaction score
I used to use Sabian cymbal cleaner. It was a spray on, wait 30 seconds, wipe off affair, but I have had a lot of trouble finding it lately. It worked well for cleaning off some grimy cymbals, but now that everything is clean and I only need "maintinence" cleaning I have been using Pearl's drum and cymbal polish. This has also been harder to find lately. Not sure if this stuff is getting phased out or if it's a supply chain issue, but it works great for drums and cymbals of all finishes.
Ever try Groove Juice ?
Do you have the bottle from the Sabian cleaner ? If so what’s it say about “active ingredients?
Groove Juice is a spray on / wipe off cleaner too . Oxalic acid is the active ingredient . Bar Keepers Friend is also oxalic acid but it’s a small fraction of the price . I used Bar Keepers Friend on all my Zildjian A’s and it worked great . The process is a little different though . I rinsed with a hose then towel dry .