I dont know if I would play these

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Forum member Eyedrum has an SQ2 shell bank in hi-gloss African Marble, and I know he was gigging with them pre-COVID. It all depends on the type of gig: if it's a nice club with a decent stage and some separation from the audience (and band members), I have no problem at all - I'm bringing the big guns. But if it's a typical overcrowded bar gig or rowdy private party like I've been playing these last several years (often with tiny stages and tipsy people), I'm likely bringing the beaters.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d take a curly maple Craviotto with a nice natural finish over this, it’s unique but doesn’t look all that nice to me.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Yamaha PHX kit a beautiful Burl ash outer veneer and I used them for bar gigs , outdoor gigs , just about everything I was doing . The Yamaha Canada Rep even commenter to me how pleased he was that I was taking them to my gigs as most people that bought them kept them in their basement .
What happened to the PHX?

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
To each his own I guess. To me they look like a mess.
(says the guy who plays an aqua flame kit)

Glad I'm not the only one.
To me it looks like someone dumped chocolate syrup and coffee on a nice set of maple drums.

Sonor Quality, yes.
Looks no.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Less metal for the same functionality.
I think I follow: you're referring to the BD mounted tom arm? If so, I agree that it's a bit lazy for Sonor to use a 1" to 7/8" coupling for a mounted tom, though it's certainly cost effective for them, as it's simply the upper part of their 400/600 series cymbal stand. As a Sonor owner, I'm not enthralled with it either, though it's functional enough. But size-wise, it's still just a 1" downtube: most manufacturers use 7/8" to 1" downtubes for BD tom mounts. I think this one looks magnified because it's going into an 18" bass drum. On a 20"-24", not so clunky.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
African Marble is one of the few genuine veneers left in the SQ2 line. It comes from one tree and will run out sometime and is exclusive to Steinway and Sonor. All of these kits are lovely and unique, but at the same time they all match being from the same trunk. This is the current Ebony, Bubbinga, Scandi Birch or Rosewood genuine veneers of Sonors past. Destined to be a classic genuine offering.

Latest posts