I feel like I've betrayed a friend

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
I think sometimes we just have to many kits in our collection. We have to ask the really tough question - do we need them all? Do they actually detract from our music because we're always concerned with the perfect sound instead of playing better?

I'd say pair down your collection. Move on, as tough as that might be, and give them to somebody that will be excited to play the Slingerland and other kits just like you were at one time. And just concentrate on being a better drummer.
100% Spot on!!!

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sell your DW's. There I said it. Would solve your problem.
Clearly you don't have the passion for those compared to all others.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But without the DWs, how do I play "In The Air Tonight"? Or pretty much anything in the Genesis/Phil Collins catalogs? ;)
But Phil used Gretsch to start..and to finish.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I keep a couple of sets that I’m not playing at the moment in a closet. The trick is to switch them slyly so that they don’t see each other in the move. It might require the use of a couple of rooms and closed doors, but what they don’t know can’t hurt them.
This^^^^

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have several vintage sets, plus two contemporary. The set I play on the most is my DW Performance set. It tunes very well, the ring and sustain are good, and I can play it for every music type I play. But I also enjoy playing on my vintage sets, and my favorite of those has been my 1963 Slingerland. Two of my favorite drummers (Phil Ehart and Danny Seraphine) played Slingerland for many years, and my 1963 set is barely two months older than me. I like to play it when I want to relive my jr high and high school days, when I was learning to play, and lusting over the professional drummers' kits.

But about a month ago, I bought a 1953 Gretsch set, and it's stolen my vintage time. I don't play on the Ludwig or Slingerland set anymore. I like the tone and sustain of the Gretsch set, it's very close to the DW but has a mellow vintage vibe as well. With the Gretsch set in the mix, now I understand what people say about the "thuddiness" of the vintage Slingerlands. It seems weird that I never really noticed it when comparing to the DW set. From a physics perspective, the difference is probably the absence of rerings in the Gretsch (the DW Performance doesn't have rings, either) but there is also a special tone as the Gretsch toms sing.

Last night, I played on the Gretsch set for nearly an hour. After warming up to Woody Herman's "Corazon" and then playing along with the Blues Brother's first album, I finished up feeling very happy. But then I looked across the room to the Slingerland set. It was sitting there alone, staring back at me, and suddenly I felt guilty. The music I had just played was music I played on the Slingerland set. They were "our songs". But now I was playing them on a different drum set and enjoying it more.

All the memories of restoring the Slingerland set rushed over me: finding the set, regluing the rings, light sanding on the bearing edges, cleaning and polishing, tuning. I remembered how excited I was to bring the Slingerland set back to life, and the thrill when it was finally assembled and I played it for the first time (Woody Herman's "Corazon" in fact.) All I did with the Gretsch set was to horsetrade for it and put new heads on it. To add insult to injury, I had taken my ride cymbal off the Slingerland set and put it on the Gretsch. I can still see the image of the Slingerland set, an empty boom stand reaching out to me as if it was saying "come back, please!"

I felt like I was betraying a friend.

What shall I do now? I always thought that I could be a polygamist drummer, but it seems there is sadness and jealousy in my house. Oh yes, there was always some rivalry between the Slingerland and the Ludwig set, but in general the Slingerland was the queen of the sets. But now, the pecking order is broken.

What shall I do?
Philanderer! Have you no shame?! (Sob) Think of the family...

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I keep a couple of sets that I’m not playing at the moment in a closet. The trick is to switch them slyly so that they don’t see each other in the move. It might require the use of a couple of rooms and closed doors, but what they don’t know can’t hurt them.
I got a chuckle out of this.

The only thing missing from this post was: “Tonight, on an all-new Three’s Company!”

Reactions: CSR

Drm1979

Reaction score
Unfortunately for me, I do get sentimental... I get it from my mother, she collects antiques and each one she's kept is a memory. I've sold several sets over the years, but the ones remaining all have memories attached (sigh).

And from a practical perspective, there's not much market for vintage drums in Little Rock, Arkansas, and the cost of shipping would kill me!
If you were to make the decision to lighten your collection, is there a music store you could sell them on consignment. I know that you said theres not much of a market for vintage drums, but even if it took a while, if they were somewhere visible to the public you might could make some cash that you could invest into your existing kits and make somebody very happy with a vintage drum purchase.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Howard to you have pics of the precision kit and the specs on those? Would love to learn more about them

I LOVE precision drum company and would definitely consider a custom kit from them....

HowardW

Reaction score
If you were to make the decision to lighten your collection, is there a music store you could sell them on consignment.
Actually I like my collection, I was just being flippant about the "new girl" taking the place of the queen of the collection :).

As far as Little Rock, well, not much here. Guitar Center is "temporarily" closed due to COVID-19. There's a local drum shop that is fantastic, but he doesn't consign.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you were to make the decision to lighten your collection, is there a music store you could sell them on consignment. I know that you said theres not much of a market for vintage drums, but even if it took a while, if they were somewhere visible to the public you might could make some cash that you could invest into your existing kits and make somebody very happy with a vintage drum purchase.
There's definitely a vibrant market for vintage drums. But your typical music store or consignment shop is probably not the place to find that. Maxwell's takes worthwhile drums on consignment where you'll net approx 75% of what they can get retail. When you take the entire USA, the demand is probably quite stunning. Yet any particular state or regional market can be quite dead. When selling one of my kits, I assume it will take 1-9 months. Done some in a couple days to a month.....others took 4-6 months.

Drm1979

Reaction score
Actually I like my collection, I was just being flippant about the "new girl" taking the place of the queen of the collection :).

As far as Little Rock, well, not much here. Guitar Center is "temporarily" closed due to COVID-19. There's a local drum shop that is fantastic, but he doesn't consign.
I certainly understand that. I live just outside of pensacola fl and we also dont have the market for instruments, especially drums. My previous comment was just an idea. I've had the same kit for 20 years with no real desire to own anymore. You'll see in my 1st reply that my drums were a gift from my parents for Christmas the year that my little punk band was doing really well and it has been gigged on at least a 100 times and recorded in our second album so no desire to own anymore. Sometimes I think yeah I'd like to own some higher end kits but mine means so much to me that it's all I need. Q

HowardW

Reaction score
Howard to you have pics of the precision kit and the specs on those? Would love to learn more about them

I LOVE precision drum company and would definitely consider a custom kit from them....
The tom shells are 6 ply maple with 6 ply rerings. Precision drilled the lugs and cut a vintage roundover bearing edge. I used beavertail lugs and tripleflange hoops. Bass drum is 8 ply maple with 6 ply rerings. I stained it with Minwax "natural" followed by two coats of clear satin.

Hardware is PDP, Gauger RIMS suspension system. Bass head is from vintagelogos.com

drums.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I finally put them in a room together and told them to work out their problems between themselves.

Slingerland, Ludwig, Gretsch... maybe now I need a Rogers set to complete the vintage American motif? :icon_lol:
I hear the muffled moans of drums
suffering separation anxiety
if you don't reunite some of them
together
think you stand the chance of having a full blown epidemic on your hands

Last edited:

Latest posts