header.nohb.html

I finally broke down and took charge...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's been that way in every place I've lived as well (sound guy = 1 share of the band split).

that's in the UK, east coast US, and west coast US.
That's what we pay (even split) BUT we provide the PA (mine).

MarkB

Reaction score
This has been a recent topic of discussion among my band mates. I have a question to all who pull trailers. Have you experienced any negative issues with electronics / PA from the constant vibration and jolts from driving. My concern is the suspension wouldn’t allow for a smooth ride, causing damage to gear.

Malc

Reaction score
This has been a recent topic of discussion among my band mates. I have a question to all who pull trailers. Have you experienced any negative issues with electronics / PA from the constant vibration and jolts from driving. My concern is the suspension wouldn’t allow for a smooth ride, causing damage to gear.
The only electronics carried in mine are an active and passive monitor and my mics, which have so far survived trailer life, although the mics are boxed and in a large flight case with the cables etc.
My only issue is that I've got all my eggs in that one basket ( trailer), so if it gets stolen,I lose the lot.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's what we pay (even split) BUT we provide the PA (mine).
If the soundman is providing the PA too, it gets really expensive in my area. If he/she is just doing sound and not providing the PA, an even share of the gig generally will work.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the soundman is providing the PA too, it gets really expensive in my area. If he/she is just doing sound and not providing the PA, an even share of the gig generally will work.
That's the same line we follow in the band: we'll provide the PA but will pay a soundman to set up, run and tear down (the big stuff). He's the fourth member of the band. It seems like that would be a pretty attractive gig for sound guys, and for aging band guys (me) who dread setting up the sound and instruments. Good move, Rob. Hope the back is doing ok. You change your set up or throne height to accommodate new realities? Take care.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My trailer is a 5x8' with torsion bar axle, by the time you load speakers, PA cabinet, drums, stands, etc. the load rides pretty smooth. At railroad crossings and rough areas with hazarder light and creep over the rails it worked fine. I now use it for model airplanes, not a lot of weight there I had to add a little over 200 pounds of steppingstones (LOL) to get a smooth ride. Plus, I only put 30 lb's of air in the tires. My tires are rated at 60 lb's. I wouldn't do that in a truck or car, it would cause uneven wear for sure.

OH BTW: My drums were packed in individual hard cases and there were times I would find a loose lug due to a slight vibration, after installing foam padding inside that problem went away.

sherm

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear of band trailers being stolen quite often , my buddies was stolen from his driveway while he was mowing his backyard …..He had it chained up .

Can you put a GPS tracker on them ?

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I hear of band trailers being stolen quite often , my buddies was stolen from his driveway while he was mowing his backyard …..He had it chained up .

That's a really good question. I would imagine so, I just wouldn't know how to go about doing it.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's the same line we follow in the band: we'll provide the PA but will pay a soundman to set up, run and tear down (the big stuff). He's the fourth member of the band. It seems like that would be a pretty attractive gig for sound guys, and for aging band guys (me) who dread setting up the sound and instruments. Good move, Rob. Hope the back is doing ok. You change your set up or throne height to accommodate new realities? Take care.
Thank you! I sit pretty low, as low an my SoundSeat will go, so that hasn't changed much. I am just trying not to lift anything, just roll things on wheels. Of if I have to lift, just to get it under the Rock N Roller cart or dolly. I am just trying my best to continue to play. A year ago, I thought I was down for the count and that my playing days were over because I literally couldn't sit down behind the kit for more than a few minutes before my leg would fire up and my entire spine would feel like it was on fire. While far from perfect, things are quite a bit better this year. I am very thankful, believe me. Again, thanks for the kind words, brother!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a Apple air tag and keep it in there you can track it with a iPhone or find my iPhone I believe
Ditto! Remember, I got my phone stolen at a gig last weekend and I found it in a different city using the Find My… app. I’d AirTag it for sure. I even AirTag my bikes and keys.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Our band leader took us all out to dinner after a day gig. I drove around in circles till I parked. The band leader asks what I was doing. I replied, looking for a drive thru parking for two with the back of the trailer facing the front door of the restaurant, so everyone can see what's going on.

Also, check out YouTube, they have some great ideas on how to prevent theft.

sherm

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you! I sit pretty low, as low an my SoundSeat will go, so that hasn't changed much. I am just trying not to lift anything, just roll things on wheels. Of if I have to lift, just to get it under the Rock N Roller cart or dolly. I am just trying my best to continue to play. A year ago, I thought I was down for the count and that my playing days were over because I literally couldn't sit down behind the kit for more than a few minutes before my leg would fire up and my entire spine would feel like it was on fire. While far from perfect, things are quite a bit better this year. I am very thankful, believe me. Again, thanks for the kind words, brother!
I used to sit low when I was much younger. Over the 20 years or so years I found that angling the legs a bit, maybe 10 degrees, made it a lot easier to play what I heard, especially double pedal stuff, and alleviated back pain that sometimes would occur when I sat low. If you can, it might be worth looking into.