sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know what wood species it is?

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cymbalfusion.com has one, they claim it’s the same one he used. Looks the same. But Matt Chamberlain said there was something special about the one he used.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had one just like it that a girlfriend bought for me back in 1988 and when I brought it to Bill Detamore, he said the same thing...that it had an "extra butt cheek." A lot of those piccolo N&C SS Maple drums were really GREAT drums that sounded way fatter than the size would indicate. Why did I sell it? That's the real question...

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had one just like it that a girlfriend bought for me back in 1988 and when I brought it to Bill Detamore, he said the same thing...that it had an "extra butt cheek." A lot of those piccolo N&C SS Maple drums were really GREAT drums that sounded way fatter than the size would indicate. Why did I sell it? That's the real question...
So the butt cheek comment from Matt wasn’t implying that his particular one had mojo but all of those models got the mojo?

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome. How do you like it? I’m not about to spend $1200 but I’m curious to know if there really that good, all of them of that model.
I like it but I like most single ply maple snares regardless of size or manufacture but as most people agree other than plating NC drums are well above average quality.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like it but I like most single ply maple snares regardless of size or manufacture but as most people agree other than plating NC drums are well above average quality.
When I was searching online about this snare someone was swearing that the cherry wood model of this snare is better.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great snare!!

But, you guys do realize that the sound on any recording produced by big money companies may or may not have anything to do with the natural organic sound of the snare, right? Especially post 1990.

Geez, that recording could have 10 different FX applied, lots of EQ, and maybe even layered with samples or even completely replaced with samples. Not to mention the room, the mic(s), the preamps, etc. etc. It's a crap shoot as to whether YOU can get anything close to that sound from the same drum. And it's unlikely that the drummer who played it has any idea what all is applied to it.

Or... a skilled set of engineers and producers could get a very similar sound from just about any snare. As my Dad used to say, "it's all trickery."

gabo

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forum member Murat has a black lacquer Maple SS 3 7/8” N&C snare at his shop and I love it !! Like Treviso said it sounds way bigger than your eyes would leave you to believe . It is no one trick Pony . It can be your main snare easily . N&C really got it right with that size snare drum . Phil Collins used a black lacquer version like the one at Murat’s for years .

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forum member Murat has a black lacquer Maple SS 3 7/8” N&C snare at his shop and I love it !! Like Treviso said it sounds way bigger than your eyes would leave you to believe . It is no one trick Pony . It can be your main snare easily . N&C really got it right with that size snare drum . Phil Vollins used a black lacquer version like the one at Murat’s for years .
Cool. I read that Phil Collins also used one.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bigger question is why you didn’t marry the girlfriend who bought you a DRUM!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
So the butt cheek comment from Matt wasn’t implying that his particular one had mojo but all of those models got the mojo?
I wish I could tell you that they all do, but my old one was the only piccolo N&C I have ever played. They aren't terribly common. I love N&C drums, period...so, I will say that perhaps the piccolo size is just sort of a magical size. I would absolutely stick to Maple if you are searching for that sound. Cherry, to my ears, sounds and feels very different from Maple. Not bad, just different. If you want that mojo...get a maple N&C piccolo.