I finally get it. Caroline ASBA pedal.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
OMG.
I took in one of these pedals on a drum trade and I must admit, it sat in a trap case for a long time. I had to go thru and work on a few pedals and this one finally got some love.
1) Made well
2) Sturdy
3) smoooooth as silk
4) as fast as you are

I have been on the hunt for a new pedal and had pretty much decided on a new Yamaha fp9 for About $326 tried 'em and liked very much.
This 40 plus year old Caroline pedal eats its lunch. Speed kings, swamp kings, floating action kings, super speeds, dw 5000.....literally everything I a - b'd it to got smoked.
Made in France. Look at the pics, you'll see. When you get the chance try one. It won't dissapoint. From the leather hinge to the way it connects to the hoop, just well thought out.
I finally get why the guys that have them are fanatics about them. My new forever pedal.
ATTACH=full]495375[/ATTACH]
20210416_152821.jpg
20210416_152825.jpg
20210416_152831.jpg
20210416_152831.jpg
20210416_152838.jpg
20210416_152847.jpg

Attachments

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was on the road back in the '70s I used an original Camco and a Slingerland Tempo-King because they were the best that I could afford. But what I really wanted was a pair of Caroline ASBAs, because of exactly what the OP said: they're ultra-smooth and ultra-fast. Now I'm playing DW 9000s and it's the only modern pedal that can challenge the ASBAs on those two qualities.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd like to get a double version with a slack free universal.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Asba Drum Company announced on their website that they will be reissuing the Caroline pedal . It should be interesting how they do with it .

nopork

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got about 5 of them that need love yet. I rehabbed two more but a couple of friends of mine were so impressed they talked me out of them with big $'s. I have to get another one done for myself, because yes, they are that good.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Your new forever pedal...but you’re selling it!?

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reactions: T-2

Skinsmannn

Reaction score

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never played on a Caroline pedal ...... but just looking at the pix, I can see one reason why some of you might find the pedal "fast". I would call it "quick" .......

Look at the strap cam; at rest, the cam is pointing nearly straight up, just the opposite of the iconic Fleetfoot/Gretsch Floating Action/Camco/DW 5000 design ...... on these pedals, the rest position of the cam is straight forward, towards the batter head. In this respect, the Caroline is similar to the Rogers Swivo and the Calato pedals in that the cam provides minimum mechanical advantage (torque) and maximum acceleration at the beginning of the stroke (when the spring offers the least resistance); at contact, the cam is straight out with maximum leverage and mechanical advantage when it is needed, ie striking the head and opposing the stretched return spring.

I've never understood the rationale behind the other arrangement. I've moved the strap cam to a 60 degree retarded position on many DW 5000s, plus a few Gretsch and even an original Martin Fleetfoot pedal. I sure prefer the "snap action" of quicker acceleration at the beginning of the stroke. The ideal arrangement is a fully adjustable strap cam angle relative to the spring cam; ideally, all of the cams should be positionable to allow correct footboard height.

My opinions ......

Mike

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first time I used one of these , some 45 years ago , I knew this was something special . One of my favourite features was the clamping design which made it as close to 100 % stable as possible . Whatever you did, that's what it did , at any speed you were capable of.

The absence of a heel hinge created an even more intimate relationship with your leg and foot's personal ergonomics .

Thanks for reminding me about this . Even though I've used a Flying Dragon direct drive for over 15 years , I'd love to have another ASBA Caroline within reach .

Jay Leno describes the 71 Citroen as being the most comfortable, innovative car he's ever driven . Same can be said of this French masterpiece of drumming design and engineering .

Magnifique !!

Last edited:

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use my Caroline in a rehearsal space and my Flying Dragon for gigs. Love them both but am starting to feel like I should put the Caroline in the gig bag. I may as well enjoy it.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Asba Drum Company announced on their website that they will be reissuing the Caroline pedal . It should be interesting how they do with it .
I didn't see any new announcement for the pedal on their website...
I have tried contacting them about the re-issued Caroline, but it has been 'crickets' from their end as far as responding to emails.
I wrote a post (see #14) in the thread linked below:

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got about 5 of them that need love yet. I rehabbed two more but a couple of friends of mine were so impressed they talked me out of them with big $'s. I have to get another one done for myself, because yes, they are that good.

Hey nopork .......

If you have any interest in moving one of your "Carolines in need of love" ...... shoot me a PM. I would like to try one of these; the attraction for me is the utter simplicity of the mechanism. It looks like the main bearings are the only moving part likely to wear; hopefully these are ball bearings (like DW, etc) or needle bearings (like the original Rogers Swivo ...... before they cheaped out and went to bronze bushings). But I'll bet that there are parts of the original pedal that either break or "take a flier" - certainly true of Swivo Rogers. I don't care all that much about total originality and can fabricate many parts in my shop.

LMK

Mike

nopork

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey nopork .......

If you have any interest in moving one of your "Carolines in need of love" ...... shoot me a PM. I would like to try one of these; the attraction for me is the utter simplicity of the mechanism. It looks like the main bearings are the only moving part likely to wear; hopefully these are ball bearings (like DW, etc) or needle bearings (like the original Rogers Swivo ...... before they cheaped out and went to bronze bushings). But I'll bet that there are parts of the original pedal that either break or "take a flier" - certainly true of Swivo Rogers. I don't care all that much about total originality and can fabricate many parts in my shop.

LMK

Mike
Let me dig into the box and see what I might get rid of. I know I also have a ton of spare parts for them as well. The weak point of the originals is the ring that the spring pivots on the drive arm. There is no bearing there just a ring rubbing on a roll pin and has a tendency to wear through if not lubed all the time. I think the later ones used a conventional pivot point similar to a regular pedal, or some of mine may have been modified to that, I'm not sure on though.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't see any new announcement for the pedal on their website...
I have tried contacting them about the re-issued Caroline, but it has been 'crickets' from their end as far as responding to emails.
I wrote a post (see #14) in the thread linked below:
They responded to me on facebook about the reissue. its coming "soon" .

Reactions: Hop

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They responded to me on facebook about the reissue. its coming "soon" .
Most excellent!!!! I have a couple of these pedals I got in the early/mid-80's but am looking forward to have them move to back-up status if the re-issues meet/exceed the original mark!

Sonorholic

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had one back in the 70's and it was great, but it's got one bad design flaw. The spring attaches to pin on the outside half of the stroke adjustment. This can wear.. and will eventually break. I think this pedal would rule with an infinite stroke adjust and better spring attachment. It was way ahead of it's time.