header.nohb.html

I finally understand Ringo!

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This point gets overlooked, unless you are old enough to remember. It's understood, but not said, I think. The "rock beat" came to prominence with the electric bass with the "Walk Don't Run" beat. The double beat on the first back beat on the snare. (on 2) Simple bass drum on one and three. Then came the double bass drum beat on 3 like on "Be My Baby" in the intro. Keep the "double" bass beat on 3 and a solid backbeat on 2 and 4, speed it up, and bingo! I still clearly remember working out the double snare on 2 and the double bass on 3. Kinda tricky to time it correctly with feel. Didn't work in music much, but I could do it. Anyway, when the Beatles hit, Ringo was doing the new bass drum thing and adding the wash of the hats. It was overpowering. It made the culture wild. People grew their hair. Free love sprang out! Well.........maybe a bit of exaggeration. You get the picture. Rock music did so much with that new drum thing. Ringo personified it. Ace
This is a very eloquent description of simple beats.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ringo was doing the right thing at the right time. Middle class America (and others) were starving for the big beat. Ace

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well said! I didn't get through all the comments, but I'll add that last week I did a Live FB chat and talked a lot about Charlie (it was the day after his amazing "air drumming" performance) and of course, Ringo.

And I challenged drummers to play "Help!". Sure, any drummer can play a half time shuffle, but I'm challenging the naysayers to make it swing and feel the way Ringo does. It vexes me every time.

This audio and video are out of sync, but you get Ringo's feel and vibe.

I hear you, Johnny..that half time shuffle isn't easy to get to sound like Ringo's.
I think also of the Beatle's song "You like me too much" sung by George ; similar half time shuffle to "Help" but "Help" is much faster shuffle.
It almost seems like a "loping" or "slow motion" shuffle

Besides, I still have problems perfecting the eighth notes on the floor tom and snare before the bridge/chorus ;):p

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you, Johnny..that half time shuffle isn't easy to get to sound like Ringo's.
I think also of the Beatle's song "You like me too much" sung by George ; similar half time shuffle to "Help" but "Help" is much faster shuffle.
It almost seems like a "loping" or "slow motion" shuffle

Besides, I still have problems perfecting the eighth notes on the floor tom and snare before the bridge/chorus ;):p
This is a half time shuffle ??