I finally understand Ringo!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think some of you should think twice before quoting and going up against dirtysticks because in my analysis he has a few of you up against the ropes.

Dirtysticks, your statement that “ Part of what makes Ringo or any other musician is the human factor of not being perfect”. I have often thought this about beautiful women, for me the most beautiful women have some marked imperfection in the mix; a Slavic nose, a gap in the front teeth, one thing to break up and juxtapose the perfection. I look at some of the worlds great models, who’s every feature is perfect and the whole thing feels flat. The imperfection or slight bit of goofiness is what brings the whole thing together and makes it pop.

I think Starr deserves is place in the pantheon of history’s great drummers just on what he did pre “66”. The stuff we could actually watch him play. My issue with him is everything that came after, the style of drumming completely changed and there is almost zero video evidence of him playing any of it. To me, that is suspicious.
Sorry, but large noses, and gaps in the teeth are a deal breaker for me. :)

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How many Ringo threads you reckon are on the internet ???

Geeez ..........

I heard him flub a 32nd note once ...
FAIL ...................

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Nacci, that is a conspiracy theory. Haven't you noticed (especially in my locked thread and the other deleted one) that they were all wrong? I felt you needed some direction. As you were. Ace

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nacci, that is a conspiracy theory. Haven't you noticed (especially in my locked thread and the other deleted one) that they were all wrong? I felt you needed some direction. As you were. Ace
How about we all just assume that anything you post in the future is signed by “Ace”. As you were.

RhythmGJ

Reaction score
Ah well, it appears this is a murder hornets nest I have no need to be involved with, though no one has “had me on the ropes” in, like... ever.

I had no desire to invalidate anyone’s subjective opinion, because as noted, we all have them. I do not wish to continue ancient tribal wars or perpetuate industry myths. The style of his drumming changed when the music changed. Have any of you had your style of drumming change in a very active 10-year period? That does not mean that Bernard Purdue was filling in for you.

I bow out of further discussion gentlemen. Ringo has hordes of fans, he does not need converts.

GJ

drichardbailey

Reaction score
The Bernard Purdie stuff is so obviously a lie on it's face that I don't know why we give it credence. Even if that were true, Ringo is doing one hell of a mimic on the rooftop of Apple in 69' then.

I also don't get why he needs it, Purdie has one of the Mt Rushmore recording careers already.

You know what you do when you work with the two best pop songwriters in history? Stay out of the way and make every song feel incredible.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Ah well, it appears this is a murder hornets nest I have no need to be involved with, though no one has “had me on the ropes” in, like... ever.

I had no desire to invalidate anyone’s subjective opinion, because as noted, we all have them. I do not wish to continue ancient tribal wars or perpetuate industry myths. The style of his drumming changed when the music changed. Have any of you had your style of drumming change in a very active 10-year period? That does not mean that Bernard Purdue was filling in for you.

I bow out of further discussion gentlemen. Ringo has hordes of fans, he does not need converts.

GJ
This is what a forum is supposed to be.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Here's a thought or two. Just because one takes up the drums, doesn't mean that he or she is a good critic or judge of what good drumming is. Actually many people are drawn to things that they have no aptitude for. Look at politics. Laugh! The fact that Ringo didn't go through the rudiment stage, probably helped with his artistic side. Being from a different culture can't be ignored either. In the end, if the public and top people in a field really dig something, who thinks they are above that? Ace

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
2/5

Tell ya wht. He (Greg) has those Dixon's spot on (to the Ring sound)
doesn't he..wow.
~

There's three so you won't have to look it up:

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Other gear used in this video: • Cymbals (From drummer's L to R): Sabian 14" Artisan Hi-Hats, Sabian 18" Artisan Crash Cymbal, Sabian 21" HH Raw Bell Dry Ride Cymbal, Sabian 19" Artisan Crash Cymbal • Drum kit: Dixon Artisan Ultra Maple Gregg Bissonette 2019 Signature Drum Set (24x18, 12x10,16x16, 14x6.5)

Part 4..

Greg says Ringo does traditional 'ere and 'ther

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well said! I didn't get through all the comments, but I'll add that last week I did a Live FB chat and talked a lot about Charlie (it was the day after his amazing "air drumming" performance) and of course, Ringo.

And I challenged drummers to play "Help!". Sure, any drummer can play a half time shuffle, but I'm challenging the naysayers to make it swing and feel the way Ringo does. It vexes me every time.

This audio and video are out of sync, but you get Ringo's feel and vibe.

Good point though that's not a half time shuffle. (Just being snarky.)

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Bernard Purdie stuff is so obviously a lie on it's face that I don't know why we give it credence. Even if that were true, Ringo is doing one hell of a mimic on the rooftop of Apple in 69' then.

I also don't get why he needs it, Purdie has one of the Mt Rushmore recording careers already.

You know what you do when you work with the two best pop songwriters in history? Stay out of the way and make every song feel incredible.
I think what the “Purdie thing” was an extortion operation, basically Bernard trying to get himself money, he said as much in his Max Weinberg interview and the threat was disclosure in his upcoming book if he didn’t get it.

Well, the book never materialized so somebody either paid him or he learned Mal Evans style to keep his mouth shut.

Evans, Beatles Roadie and man of of missions was murdered by Los Angeles Police, a corrupt a department that ever existed, on January 5th 1976.

The way I recall the story from the Rotten Apple series is that Evans helped McCartney co-write at least one song on their 1966 France/Africa/Rome jaunt.

A dispute arose later between him and McCartney over song writing credits at which point Evans threatened a tell all.

One week prior to handing the manuscript to his publisher Evans is shot and killed by Los Angeles police and the manuscript then disappears, creating its own offshoot in Beatles lore.

As far as Starr’s performance on the “Rooftop”, we are talking roughly five songs off what is arguably the Beatles most musically rudimentary Album.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Well said! I didn't get through all the comments, but I'll add that last week I did a Live FB chat and talked a lot about Charlie (it was the day after his amazing "air drumming" performance) and of course, Ringo.

And I challenged drummers to play "Help!". Sure, any drummer can play a half time shuffle, but I'm challenging the naysayers to make it swing and feel the way Ringo does. It vexes me every time.

This audio and video are out of sync, but you get Ringo's feel and vibe.

That’s a very impressive demonstration of Ringo playing an 8th note cymbal beat at about 190 bpm, with his weak hand no less. Yikes!

But, that’s not a half time shuffle. Bernard Purdie plays half time shuffles on “Home at Last” and “Babylon Sisters,” John Bonham does it on “Fool in the Rain,” and Jeff Porcaro does it on “Rosanna,” with a clave’ish rhythm in the bass drum.