I finally understand Ringo!

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m missing something but what’s so hard about the drums on “Help?“ The beat sounds pretty straight and basic to me.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I'll begin by saying that I arrived late to the party when it comes to listening to The Beatles. Yes, I've heard them throughout my life, know many of the songs, and appreciate and respect their contribution to modern music. I much prefer the older recordings and never cared much for Magical Mystery Tour or ironically, Sgt. Pepper's.

That said, this post appeared in my You Tube feed yesterday and blew me away. I'm enamored, and now completely understand the love and praise for Ringo. I can't stop listening and loving everything about it. I'm a big Steve Jordan fan and good lawd do I hear the influence now!

I've said it before but it's worth repeating - The best thing about music is that it knows no age, no time, and no circumstance. It's there for us always, waiting to be discovered and enjoyed, limitless in its reach and powerful in its influence.

That is one deep, heavy groove! This isolation shows that Ringo was playing 2 level drumming (that you can’t appreciate on AM radio), long before David Garibaldi coined the term.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s a very impressive demonstration of Ringo playing an 8th note cymbal beat at about 190 bpm, with his weak hand no less. Yikes!

But, that’s not a half time shuffle. Bernard Purdie plays half time shuffles on “Home at Last” and “Babylon Sisters,” John Bonham does it on “Fool in the Rain,” and Jeff Porcaro does it on “Rosanna,” with a clave’ish rhythm in the bass drum.
It sure is! It floors me every time!

Ah yes... but of course... my mistake on the halftime shuffle reference.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m missing something but what’s so hard about the drums on “Help?“ The beat sounds pretty straight and basic to me.
It's how clean he plays the 8th note hi hat pattern at that tempo and the overall groove of the song. It may be that I just suck and can't play it like Ringo. But if you can play it as clean and even as Ringo, I'd love to hear it and I'm not being snarky - I'd love for someone to show me how to play it.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's how clean he plays the 8th note hi hat pattern at that tempo and the overall groove of the song. It may be that I just suck and can't play it like Ringo. But if you can play it as clean and even as Ringo, I'd love to hear it and I'm not being snarky - I'd love for someone to show me how to play it.
I've played beats like that with 8th note hi-hat patterns up to speed for many many years once I came to Texas and started playing Zydeco for extra money LOL. But this Help beat is a simple beat with the kick on 1 & 3 with straight 8ths. Here's someone playing it on Youtube.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I find it absurd that this is even a discussion .
He played for The Beatles end of story , him not you not anyone else .
And he can damn well have Gregg Bissonette do his " heavy lifting " these days .
He's bloody fekking Ringo Star !!!!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've played beats like that with 8th note hi-hat patterns up to speed for many many years once I came to Texas and started playing Zydeco for extra money LOL. But this Help beat is a simple beat with the kick on 2 & 4 with straight 8ths. Here's someone playing it on Youtube.
Straight 1/8ths ?? Are you sure ? I hear triplet in that ride .

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The eighth note build fills are played as more or less straight 8ths, but the hihat and ride are to my ears about exactly halfway between swung (textbook triplet) and straight. I know you posted those covers to point out that a lot of people can play it . . . but most of those covers suck. Which bolsters the idea that in spite of its apparent simplicity its actually hard to play - and have it sound good.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find it absurd that this is even a discussion .
He played for The Beatles end of story , him not you not anyone else .
And he can damn well have Gregg Bissonette do his " heavy lifting " these days .
He's bloody fekking Ringo Star !!!!
Him being Ringo Starr of the Beatles doesn't make him some amazing drummer or make his beats more than what they are. :icon_lol:

Straight 1/8ths ?? Are you sure ? I hear triplet in that ride .
I am hearing the hats and ride played 1&2&3&4& with accents on 1234... with kick on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The eighth note build fills are played as more or less straight 8ths, but the hihat and ride are to my ears about exactly halfway between swung (textbook triplet) and straight. I know you posted those covers to point out that a lot of people can play it . . . but most of those covers suck. Which bolsters the idea that in spite of its apparent simplicity its actually hard to play - and have it sound good.

It was simple when they did and it's simple when Ringo does it... he's just Ringo Starr of the Beatles so it's more amazing lol.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was simple when they did and it's simple when Ringo does it... he's just Ringo Starr of the Beatles so it's more amazing lol.
no.
it's simple both times. But it sounds bad when they do it, and sounds good when he does it. "lol"

*probably because they aren't actually listening. They're just playing the part the way they assume it goes, instead of listening and locking in with the somewhat swung feel the band is playing.

BlueJay

Reaction score
Huge Beatles fan. When people ask me what my favorite band is, I don't mention the Beatles because they're my honorary number one. Huge Ringo fan. He's simple but so clutch and talk about right place at the right time. This clip, though, really did nothing for me. Pretty rudimentary playing.

I googled "Ringo Starr isolated drum tracks" and found a bunch of them. I think the two clips below really highlight his creativity and swinging feel of his play....Tomorrow never knows, Come Together, Back in the USSR, Taxman, Birthday....many better examples, too....

Tomorrow Never Knows just might be my favorite drum track. I mean Paul just plays the same 8th note pulse for about 3 minutes, f-crissakes. (I think it's a C?) What in the heck are you going to come up with to play along with that? That "wall of noise" indistinct droning crash ride is just the perfect compliment and the way the tom breaks up the monotony, almost like a stutter. Just brilliant.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
no.
it's simple both times. But it sounds bad when they do it, and sounds good when he does it. "lol"

*probably because they aren't actually listening. They're just playing the part the way they assume it goes, instead of listening and locking in with the somewhat swung feel the band is playing.
You're right. "LOL"

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forrest Gump ran across the country and hordes attributed to him some sort of mysticism. Ringo played drums with the Beatles. That's about it. He played drums.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Looked up Gregg Bissonette to see what he had to say.

The Band Concept.......What a great point Gregg made here. You had to be there to appreciate the change fully. Think about how much more powerful the band was with all four guys being spotlighted? Paul being left handed and him and George facing each other singing harmony back up. Ringo on the riser. So much was right in your face. Ace