I found a great nontoxic stripper for removing contact cement

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like we get a lot of threads asking about good products to remove contact cement for rewraps. Well, I picked up a Fibes tom and needed to rewrap to match the turquoise sparkle drums I bought from Jeff. I pulled off the old wrap and, of course, found some sticky contact cement underneath.

Because of a history of asthma and allergies I’m pretty sensitive to chemicals, and really wanted something low or zero VOC. I found Smart Strip on Amazon, and it is working like a charm.

I did a first coat that sat for about 3 hours, and the outer layer of chunky stuff came right off. I did a second coat that sat for another 3 hours, and that started getting down to bare wood. A third coat got most of everything else off. I just need to go in and do some final cleanup.

All that to say, check out Smart Strip for a super effective and nontoxic stripper.

Smart Strip Advanced Paint... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PCVKLK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
It seems like we get a lot of threads asking about good products to remove contact cement for rewraps. Well, I picked up a Fibes tom and needed to rewrap to match the turquoise sparkle drums I bought from Jeff. I pulled off the old wrap and, of course, found some sticky contact cement underneath.

Because of a history of asthma and allergies I’m pretty sensitive to chemicals, and really wanted something low or zero VOC. I found Smart Strip on Amazon, and it is working like a charm.

I did a first coat that sat for about 3 hours, and the outer layer of chunky stuff came right off. I did a second coat that sat for another 3 hours, and that started getting down to bare wood. A third coat got most of everything else off. I just need to go in and do some final cleanup.

All that to say, check out Smart Strip for a super effective and nontoxic stripper.

Smart Strip Advanced Paint... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PCVKLK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Wait! Houndog sold those turquoise sparkle Fibes? :(

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• F0B46A1E-DF69-4BA1-92A0-1A390D9E9AAD.png
    F0B46A1E-DF69-4BA1-92A0-1A390D9E9AAD.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 21

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon says "no foul smells".....that's how I prefer my strippers.

I like Citrus strip that smells like orange. What exactly did your stripper smell like?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Amazon says "no foul smells".....that's how I prefer my strippers.

I like Citrus strip that smells like orange. What exactly did your stripper smell like?
Not much of anything. Kind of smells a bit like paste and oxy clean. Any smell it does have is really faint.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I looked up the ingredients. It's pretty basic, and you could probably make something like this at home. The titanium dioxide is used to increase viscosity, and I'm sure you could find something to easily replace that with.

Water 40-60%
Benzyl alcohol 30-50%
Titanium dioxide 1-5%

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the side window where the "Latest posts" are, I just saw a preview of this thread's title. It just went .

"I found a great nontoxic stripper..."​

Well it sure looked like an interesting thread (from a human and sociological standpoint) but pretty much guaranteed to be deleted before the end of the evening.

Paint & varnish stripper makes a WHOLE LOT more sense!!!