I found my dream hardware

Germandrummer

Reaction score
With my 1977 Phonic and my 1980 Champion I thought about getting contemporary Sonor hardware.

A few days ago I came across a classified of a guy selling three 1970s Sonor hardware pieces. I wouldn`t call it deal of the century but
for the price of these three items you would be struggling to get actual entry level hardware.

Not only being my dream accessoires, they also were in an excellent shape. No scratches, no pitting. Even the rubber feet without strong signs of wear.

In detail: Z 5224 wide base cymbal stand, Z 5229 standard base cymbal stand and the Z 5454 hi hat stand I like very much because of its somehow `technical`appeal with that separate damper cylinder.

Attachments

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those are sweet. I recently re-furbished a 70's or 80's Pearl hat stand. Had a similar separate cylinder situation. I love it. How are the springs in yours? Is the clutch in nice shape?
Can you post a picture of the connector piece that pulls the spring and pull rod? I'm wondering if pearl copied this idea. Or maybe there are other examples of this design in history? It would be cool to see it up close so I can compare it to mine!

I really like that extra wide base idea, too.

Going to polish them up?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I attached a picture of the connector, hope it is the right part you want to know. The spring is fine and the complete mechanism works very smooth. In quality terms it is no comparison to the hihat stand which came with my Sonic Plus II kit.

I will clean them with soap and water as there is no pitting or dirt at all. Just fingerprints and some dust. Polishing hardware is a pain..

Attachments